Notices

More miles to a tank !

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2011, 08:38 AM
jaseman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More miles to a tank !

Hi guys just passing on some info about getting more miles out of a tank full that ive acheived on my WRX.
I used to get on average 240 miles driving as you should drive a WRX but i tried an experiment last month and filled my car right up and changed my driving style. I never took it past 3000 revs before changing gear and never took it past 80 mph and believe it or not I have got 295 miles !!!! With today's petrol prices I thought I'd pass on my results to my fellow enthusiasts 
Old 30 March 2011, 08:42 AM
chasey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaseman
Hi guys just passing on some info about getting more miles out of a tank full that ive acheived on my WRX.
I used to get on average 240 miles driving as you should drive a WRX but i tried an experiment last month and filled my car right up and changed my driving style. I never took it past 3000 revs before changing gear and never took it past 80 mph and believe it or not I have got 295 miles !!!! With today's petrol prices I thought I'd pass on my results to my fellow enthusiasts 
if your going to drive about like that sell you subaru by a diesel astra or some thing and do 700 miles on a tank. I bought my subaru to drive fast and plod around
Old 30 March 2011, 08:46 AM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Of Course the miles per tank depends on how heavy your foot is and if revs are high. Last week i got 320 miles to a tank, but i do drive like a miss dasiy!!
Old 30 March 2011, 08:48 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ONCE got just over 300 miles before the light came and i can honestly say i will never do it again, driving a Impreza around slower than PSLewis using a zimma frame is just plan wrong!
Old 30 March 2011, 08:49 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaseman

and why would you want to drive like this
Old 30 March 2011, 08:51 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

yup, bought my scoob to drive quick. dont see the point in owning 1 if you gunna pootle about.

I would get a mondeo diesel. was getting 50mpg and still canning it.
Old 30 March 2011, 09:33 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

I love all the people that go "I bought my scoob to drive quick". Blah Blah. Some people buy them because they like them and they can go fast, and buying a second diesel car would be actually cost more per year with additional depreciation, tax, MOT and insurance, than that saved in petrol. So I say good on you for going for the economy drive.

I've considered all the cheap diesel options and even if all the commuting miles were done in it none of them will save me enough to pay the extras of having a second car. So just drive it sensibly in the first place really.
Old 30 March 2011, 10:15 AM
durmz
Scooby Newbie

who'd have thought? driving slower gives more mpg, never wouldve guessed haha
Old 30 March 2011, 10:37 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

£75 = 350 miles out of mine this wkend gone. Long drive up to Darlington, we went to a few villages while away then a blast down the A1 back home. Mixture of driving styles and more than happy with that return considering the whipping the car took at times.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:38 AM
jaseman
Scooby Regular

Glad to see that we still have some genuine enthusiasts who actually appreciate their cars and don't feel the need to boot their car everywhere driving like idiots. Yes we have fast cars but there is a time and a place !! Opened a can of worms just by posting a useful thread ??
Old 30 March 2011, 12:29 PM
wrxn
Scooby Regular

Hi just wondering if the car has been remapped because my wrx has only got a back box and only returns average 220 miles to a tank with fairly sensible driving?
Old 30 March 2011, 12:55 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i did a track day and averaged 9 mpg!

common sense is the key fela, drive slow get more mpg,accelerate and drive fast low mpg.
Old 30 March 2011, 01:17 PM
jaseman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxn
Hi just wondering if the car has been remapped because my wrx has only got a back box and only returns average 220 miles to a tank with fairly sensible driving?
No remap mate, I have a 5" stainless steel back box and have had an air induction kit fitted 
Old 30 March 2011, 01:27 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxn
What sort of driving? Town driving and lots of short journeys will cause your mpg to drop. Does sound a little low though - might be worth getting your O2 (AFR) sensor and MAF checked out.

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
lol i did a track day and averaged 9 mpg!

common sense is the key fela, drive slow get more mpg,accelerate and drive fast low mpg.
9.09mpg at my last track day.... I'll try harder next time!
Old 30 March 2011, 02:08 PM
wrxn
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks jaseman.

To be honest it probably is more town driving and the odd run down the motorway.

9 mile to the gallon that should be enough to cover 7 laps of the nurburgring to a tank full with the biggest smile
Old 30 March 2011, 03:40 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

my sti 5s in the body shop for repair after getting rear ended an ive been given a bluemotion golf diesel.
The novelty of it telling you the best speed for the gear your in and switching itself off when you stop at traffic lights etc doesn compare with character of an impreza.

But its just like a domestic appliance - very very good at what it does but just soooooooooooooooo boring.

Cant wait to get the impreza back and drive a proper car again. I just dont like diesels.

rant over!!
Old 30 March 2011, 04:10 PM
wrxn
Scooby Regular

Ha ha brilliant that sums up a diesel perfectly
Old 30 March 2011, 04:14 PM
Ginerbolox
Scooby Newbie

I use her indoors cinquecento sporting, and i use the word sporting loosely.For my daily commute and save mine for the weekend.I am in the same boat as a lot of owners, love the car but feeling the pinch on fuel prices nowadays.It would cost me more than £30 a week to use the scoob for work as a posed to a tenner in fiat. Oh and by the way she aint allowed to drive the scoob.As the yorkie bar says its not for girls(ducks out the way of all the sexist responses)
Old 30 March 2011, 10:21 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

In my wrx I'm getting 180 per tank with sensible driving.

I have a problem some where. Fuel pump is my first port of call