Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2011, 01:18 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MY93 Wrx troubles

Guys having trouble with early wrx with basic mods,
04/12/10 was dynoed at surrey R/R and was runing perfect @0.9bar
done Around 3-400miles max since then and now ive got the trouble which started around 2-3weeks ago.
The engine management light came up reading idle control valve.

Car drives fine but not on tick over starts up as normal but sounds like it has a tiny miss fire, bit hard to explain but if you listen to the exhaust its like-
M= exhaust note
Blip= split second miss not like its runing on 3 just like a pause.

mmmmmmm blip mmmmmmm blip mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It doesnt do it continuously will be fine for a minute but then next it could do it 3 times in a row,
So reset the ecu and light came on around an hour later of driving again saying idle control valve,
Yesterday a friend and i removed the control valve and cleaned it up as was gumend up, but it back on set the idle up to sit dead on 1k,
but still had the slight miss!
so replaced the coil packs had 2 new ones so fitted them and that didnt make a difference so replaced the two rear ones with the fronts that i had changed for the new ones, the rear pass side coil was broken on the end with just the rubber holding it together so hoping that was the fault of the miss,
started it to find it was still there!!
the plugs are 600miles new and are ngk platinum versions,
before the rolling road all service items very new, the fuel reg is sitting fine at 3bar and doesnt move on the miss, also have walbro!

Yesterday i fitted another maff of my freinds working wrx along with the oem
airbox and resonator box and removed the bleed valve to plum it all back into the 3port,stiill the same

late last nite we had the car runing for 30mins idle sitting at 1k the miss hardly there but still maybe once every 2mins, fans come in idle corrects itself fine, then switched it off left it for 20mins went to restart it to put it away soon as it started up idling at around 6-700rpm and the miss alot more!

The miss doesn't cause the revs to drop as it so quick but did notice the boost gauge moves up in vacuum .6 up to .5 in that spilt second.

any surgestions what to try?
havnt reset the ecu since the 1st time but its only showing one fault being idle control valve but havnt reset it since cleaning it as thought i had fixed it when the idling was spot on!
am i correcting in thinking the idle control valve is dying?
dont want to spend £250 on a new one if it doesnt cure the problem
Old 20 March 2011, 02:14 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clear the error codes on the ecu and see if it still comes up, second hand idle control valve is peanuts mate, wouldnt bother buying a new one, got one lying around somewhere you can have for a few beer tokens if you need it
Old 20 March 2011, 05:35 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

That would be fantastic if you have mate could throw that on and see what happens!
Old 20 March 2011, 06:31 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try clearing the ecu codes first and see if it comes back, if you need the idle valve because the code comes back just pm me
Old 20 March 2011, 10:28 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

ok cheers dude