Cluncking when cornering slowly

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2011, 01:02 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluncking when cornering slowly

Hi..

I have got a clunking noise when i corner slowly and i feel it through the car so i know there is something thats not right.. just don't really know what it could be.. i have got BC coilovers and i doubt its the CVs because I know what thats like and this is nothing like it so i am out of ideas?!?!

Anyone got any suggestions??

Cheers,
Lee
Old 14 March 2011, 02:00 PM
beastgtir
Scooby Regular

Diff?
Old 14 March 2011, 02:34 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

centre diff i had same problem only happened when turning slowly like parking and only when warm no noise when cold Jim
Old 14 March 2011, 03:01 PM
marklee
Scooby Newbie

Anyone know where you get get replacement diffs from and who can do the work? Mine is doing the same
Old 16 March 2011, 08:48 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

I think its possibly got something to do with the bottom ball joints on the front.. taken it to someone to look at and they have said to replace the ball joints.. whilst i am at it know the brake pads need doing so will do them at the same time since they are not exactly quiet..
Old 17 March 2011, 07:20 AM
marklee
Scooby Newbie

Mine is definitely the centre diff. It only does it when the gearbox warms up. The first 5 miles of driving is fine.
Old 17 March 2011, 07:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this could cost you a fortune, if you read the handbook it wouldnt
Its normal if you have a DCCD equipped car and yours is in auto, switch it to manual and put it all the way back to the bottom green on the instrument panel which is fully open, clunking gone, lots of cash saved, you owe me a pint

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2011, 09:11 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

hi my centre diff cost less than £500 including labour the gear box does not have to come out to do this only the end hope this helps
Old 17 March 2011, 10:46 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Wow this could cost you a fortune, if you read the handbook it wouldnt
Its normal if you have a DCCD equipped car and yours is in auto, switch it to manual and put it all the way back to the bottom green on the instrument panel which is fully open, clunking gone, lots of cash saved, you owe me a pint

Tony
Dear Tony.. you talk perfect sense. I have just upgraded to a Hawkeye STI and I get the shudder, rumbling, vibration sensations when the car is warm and doing close turns i.e. parking and reversing whilst turning near full lock. The owners manual says exactly as you say about putting it in Manual and putting on the bottom setting, but it does not say what all the settings do. I know the juddering at lvery low speed whilst turning sharply in auto mode is normal, but it's still weird and certainly soemthing I would like to dial out. Somewhere I have seen a sort of idiots guide to DCCD and what all the manual settings do in terms of driveability and/or suitability for wet/dry/snow conditions. I suppose the million dollar question is whether one manual setting could be used/selected permanently for both everyday normal speed driving whilst effectively banish the slow speed turn manouvering shakes etc. as some sort of general compromise?
Old 17 March 2011, 11:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one here?

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...anslation.html

You just have to remember that each setting up gives you more "lock" or resistance for the diff(s)

Tony
Old 22 March 2011, 10:04 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
This one here?

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...anslation.html

You just have to remember that each setting up gives you more "lock" or resistance for the diff(s)

Tony
Yes Tony, it was something like this but from someone else on SN whilst more basic language and idiot proof. I will read a few times and keep searching SN for the one I found then forgotten where. Really want to understand it properly before I press the **** and spin that dial and experiment in some empty car park. Thanks - Paul
Old 14 April 2011, 09:05 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Here below (hopefully) is the aforementioned IdiotGuide from megaman on the WR1 website. The first time I tried the manual 'fully open' (bottom green) was when parking and it really gets rid of the knocking/grinding when reversing in tight spaces etc. Also first tried a complete suburban journey home from stadium to home in fully open - seemed nicer and more stable for sub 30 MPH slow speed traffic driving. I now use Auto for open road and flick the switch to Manual Fully Open when entering side street areas and into car parks etc. Too be honest I don't like the odd interference feelings of Auto, but I know it's only doing clever stuff for my own good. Might try the one up from bottom green setting (the slightly safer rear wheel bias setting.

Anyway, hope the link works (it's my first attempt).....

http://www.wr1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtop...asc&highlight=
Old 14 April 2011, 09:11 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Has the suspension been checked? It might just be a bush. You never know..