Notices

Electric Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2011, 06:07 PM
sirsnortalot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Folding Mirrors

Got a set of these for my MY99 UK wagon a while ago and eventually got round to fitting them today. Got the switch in fine and put the mirrors on no problems there either.......only one issue...they will not fold!! They have some power to them as they tilt no bother at all Has anyone else had experience of fitting these to a UK car? I'm just wondering if there is something else needed that I haven't done! Cheers, Graeme
Old 27 February 2011, 07:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've done it.

You need the folding mirror switch, and TWO extra wires per side, so really you need extra connectors for the switch and the mirrors.
Old 27 February 2011, 07:39 PM
sirsnortalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've done it.

You need the folding mirror switch, and TWO extra wires per side, so really you need extra connectors for the switch and the mirrors.
I have the folding switch already, is it just 2 wires to each side directly fron the switch? I was kinda hoping the wiring would already be there....typical!!
Old 27 February 2011, 08:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The wiring isn't there.

I fitted two extra male connectors each side, at the mirror end of the car loom, pushed into the existing connector, and two more to the switch end of the car loom, both sets of connectors came off a scrapped Leggy, but can be had off the net. Those at the switch are larger than those at the mirrors. I just cut them off with 200mm of cable attached, soldered and shrink-wrapped the joints.

Then it's a case of identifying where, in the car loom, the new connectors need to be, (you'll see where the extras are at the switch and at the mirrors, and attaching two wires, one from each on the mirror to ONE of the switch terminals, and ditto to the other. Put them on temporarily, experimenting until the mirror folds as it should, then mark and replace permanent.

Note: 1. You need TWO wires from each spare at the switch, one to each side.
2. The mirrors won't do anything unless there are two wires to each, it's a reversible circuit.

You can make it easier by finding the live terminal when the switch is in both it's fold positions, this allows you to know which side to connect to.
Old 27 February 2011, 10:18 PM
sirsnortalot
Scooby Regular

That's great....cheers for that info. Was gutted when they didn't work earlier! Will get on the case tomorrow night and hopefully get them sorted
Old 28 February 2011, 11:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

PM me and I can talk you through it if you have problems.

FIRST thing to check: do the new mirrors have FIVE wires to them? Someone on here recently bought some "folding" mirrors, only they weren't
Old 28 February 2011, 05:59 PM
sirsnortalot
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alcazar! Got them working this evening thanks to you Maybe not quite as neat behind the scenes as it could have been ( 1.5mm single cable used as I'm a spark and it was all I had, accompanied by some scotchlocks!) but they are working none the less. The wiring was already in from the door down to each footwell so it was just a case of catching it there.....Thanks again for all your assistance Next job is going to be fitting air conditioning....I have most of the bits but think I'll leave it for a while as it looks like it's gonna be a bit of a major task!!
Old 28 February 2011, 06:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No probs, mine took about a half day, including fitting mirrors, working out the wiring, and getting connectors off a scrapper.

Aircon is not something I've bothered with. Isn't that why God made windows?