Notices

hid lights (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2011, 11:11 PM
NEWCASTLE BROWN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid lights (again)

:wonderwil these work on my car( 1995 legacy gt auto)???
are they legal???
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIMLINE-HID-X...item439cd44693
Old 07 February 2011, 11:38 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Last edited by greenfumb; 07 February 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07 February 2011, 11:41 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

no they will illegal,think legal ones are 4-6000k mine are 8000k but i have no probs with people flashing me or with the rozzers (they are aligned properly) make sure they don't annoy people and set the aim correctly
Old 08 February 2011, 12:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Will they work? Well, they'll light up
But they may NOT work as well as you want, IF Leggy lights are as bad as Impreza ones.

They MAY NOT be as plug and play as they say either. I fitted a set for someone and they certainly were NOT that.

Can I suggest you read this whole thread CAREFULLY, before going ahead with any purchase:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...s-on-hids.html

As for legal, I've recently had my car pulled by plod/vosa, and one of the things they picked up on was the headlight bulbs, although they weren't HID, it was asked.
Later investigation shows that a new MoT is on it's way and the lamps used MUST be compatible with the reflector/lens unit, which is NOT the case with HIDs in standard lights

In the end, it's your choice............
Old 08 February 2011, 12:48 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

i agree mine were buggers to fit had to rig a wiring harness and set it on a switch projector lights are supposed to make them all legal but im not 100%
Old 08 February 2011, 03:20 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Get some rally bulbs. Been there done that, H4 HID's are rubbish.
Old 08 February 2011, 03:22 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add the word 'totally' before rubbish.

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2011, 03:25 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were simple to fit, and the difference is staggering - night visibility is significantly increased.
The "uprated" standard bulbs are utter crap - not worth bothering with, and the rally ones aren't "road legal" either.

I bought my kit from Aztec performance, and have been running it for over 3 years with no MOT issues with the lights at all at 2 different MOT centres; I think it's had some improvements since then, but I wrote a guide for fitting them (find it in tech guides) at the time - was easy.
1 MOT station gave me a bit of telling off about my LED sidelight bulbs, but as my HID kit is 4300k "white" light as opposed to the ridiculous blue kits, they were perfectly happy with them.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 08 February 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08 February 2011, 03:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'm not even sure projectors would fulfil the critertia of the new MoT test, since the projector will be INSIDE a lens which is e-marked, but with the WRONG codes for HID.

And removal of the e-mark will render them a fail anyway.
Old 08 February 2011, 03:33 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

H4 hid lamps are junk, period.

Waste money if you like it's yours after all. Read every review on uprated bulbs, they ARE better than standard if you buy the right ones.
Old 08 February 2011, 04:30 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

@ the usual suspects.

Our customers would disagree:

Originally Posted by Blaster_1
Fitted the kit to my car found a nice dark country lane at 2am WOW these are amassing
Fitted to a 2005 sti9 1 kit in dipped and 1 kit in main beam don’t even need main beam any more WOW and WOW a must for anyone.

BIG THANKS
Originally Posted by Tenby
Ordered Friday and postman delivered at 8am Saturday morning. Fantastic lights and service. Took about half an hour to fit.

One of my best mods.

Thanx BOB'5
Originally Posted by silver-destroyer
hi...
we'll there fitted and i've been screaming round the country roads of lincolnshire...............what can i say.... they are ****ing awesome bob your selling a winning unit here. .i will be recommend these to me mates who dont have subarus but would be over the moon with a lighting performance mod like these on their rides.....i will be defo ordering the second set for my main beams...got a quick question were can i get hid sidelamp bulbs from so i can get rid of that creamy look the standard ones give....

massive thanks again for supplying a superior unit...

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
great. The noble headlights are 100% improved.
Originally Posted by michael_jenkins
Placed my order on Thursday, Recieved them Friday, Fitted them sunday. Really easy to fit and look great!

Will upload some before and after pics soon!

Thanks Bob
Originally Posted by Drift_King
Fitted mine on the weekend - took me longer than expected mainly sue to forgetting the spade switch if not working! I connected red-red and black-black initially. Spent ages checking other connections/bulbs/ballasts before trying that! So red connected to black and black connected to red worked - illogical but hey ho.

Anyways - forking love the look of em with the LED sidelights. shame the main beam now looks yellow (may sort that out another time). Never thought I'd be saying it but can't wait for it to be dark when driving home from work! B-)
Originally Posted by Scooby Hoo?
Yes I have fitted Bobs HID's to my 2002 Bugeye with Morettes.
Both dip and main, takes about 1.5 hours to fit properly and then to my local garage to adjust. Had no probs with MOT useing 4000.

All I can say is surperb.
Originally Posted by 404BHP
Bob would like to thank you for the kit I fitted it yesterday and it it amazing how much better the lights are..The kit was really simple to install to..Great product... Can you get kits for other makes of cars?
Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Fitted mine yesterday - superb, much improved over halogen originals. Cheers Bob!
Originally Posted by codie247
Bloody hell these lights are bright!! like driving in daylight
Originally Posted by markee
Just to say car passed MOT today had no probs with lights, this has to be 1 of the best upgrades you can do.

Mark
Originally Posted by Jay m A
Fitted mine today, one hell of a difference

Originally Posted by dunx
Stuck mine on Boxing day morning, wasn't over impressed cloudy and dull.....

Came home about 9 PM., out for a spin and WOW ! so much better now.

DunxC

P.S. Many thanks BOB'5

Originally Posted by Baker

The light is so much brighter and I also think it makes the car look more modern if that makes sense.

Just have to get new sidelights now!

Thanks for the hassle free transaction
Originally Posted by taxidriver174
Cheers for the HID lights WOW i can see at night now
Originally Posted by S600B_DC
Had mine fitted today, what can I say..................

WOW what a difference great mod one of the best I have done.

Thanks for sorting BOB'5

David

Originally Posted by fluffy1970
great bit of kit.Its ok going fast but its more fun when you can see where your going.
cheers bob
Originally Posted by Bugatti
As others have said, well worth every penny spent on this mod .
Originally Posted by alanjack
Bob, many thanks,

Superb and easy to fit, i will be ordering some more

Originally Posted by markee

This has to be 1 of the best mods i have done to the car the improvement over the standard lights are phenomenal, i went out on a test drive along some country lanes & was very impressed it was like daylight especially when i put main beam on

Been there and done that with various uprated bulbs. For me and many others the HIDs work best without any glare issues or MOT fails. Fitted to my own classic for years.

I await the usual few anti-HID people to turn this into another marathon anti-HID thread.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what you guys think already, but feel free to carry on anyway. HID sales always seem to go UP when these threads are around as most people can see through a lot of the nonsense
Old 08 February 2011, 04:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Nice Post BOB, advertising as usual.

I think most people were AGAINST, if you actually READ the very informative thread that went on for weeks while you were away?

Best of luck with your sales, btw............
Old 08 February 2011, 04:50 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

So let's have a picture then Bob to show your amazing H4 hids. I have asked you on more than one occasion and you do not reply with a picture. I even asked through your website. Same outcome. Put yer fooking money where yer gob is for a change and put up a picture of your H4 hid working.

I've seen one picture of your H4 kit on here fitted to a members classic, and unless you have changed your supplier they were shockingly bad.

If you make sales from these threads anyway just post up your business name and leave out your selected feedback from people who don't know what they are looking at.

EDIT: OP: Try these, these are the best bulbs I have tried so far and I have tried loads, it drives the missus crazy. She thinks a bulb is a bulb!

No bump up to the top here

Last edited by dan83590; 08 February 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08 February 2011, 04:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As above: this thread is no good without pics of BOB's amazing H4 HIDs working, showing their amazing LACK of scatter and perfect cutoff.

How about it BOB?
Old 09 February 2011, 06:38 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Guys, incidentally when I first fitted my kit, I had seen alcazar's comments re scatter and cut-off and asked the MOT station to check that the lights met legal requirements in terms of both.
They were totally fine.

Perhaps the H4 kits are different but no aftermarket bulb gets ANYWHERE near my lights (H1 I think?) in terms of beam brightness and distance. I tried two aftermarket sets of "brighter" bulbs before realising they were just a con, and this was certainly confirmed after switching to HID (And no I'm not affiliated with Bob5 LOL)

Alcazar, I doubt the average MOT station will bother checking mate, just like they don't fail the majority of our cars for having loud exhausts (although my tester says it IS within their power to do so).

Trouble is they want our business, many garages are struggling in these tough times.

Anyway, all I'm saying is don't knock it until you try it. Alcazar I know you and BOB5 don't get on mate but let's not turn every HID thread into a punch up guys. Peace!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 09 February 2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09 February 2011, 08:10 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Nobody has mentioned anything other than H4 hid kits as that is what the OP is asking about.

The simple fact is that H4 kits are fooking awful. I speak from experiance. Depends what you want from your bulbs really. Function/brightness or just bright light. H4 hid are very bright, agreed, BUT, the light goes everywhere other than the road. My standard OE bulbs were actually better than the H4 HID's.

Still waiting for some pictures of the amazing H4 beam pattern!
Old 09 February 2011, 09:52 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by dan83590
Nobody has mentioned anything other than H4 hid kits as that is what the OP is asking about.

The simple fact is that H4 kits are fooking awful. I speak from experiance. Depends what you want from your bulbs really. Function/brightness or just bright light. H4 hid are very bright, agreed, BUT, the light goes everywhere other than the road. My standard OE bulbs were actually better than the H4 HID's.

Still waiting for some pictures of the amazing H4 beam pattern!
When you say you speak from experience mate, is that from having several HID kits fitted to your car, or just one particular make?
Also, please share the kit that you found was poor quality so other users know what to avoid!

I know that in terms of kit quality, we need to remember there are some pretty crap ones out there and also some pretty good ones.
It's the former you tend to see fitted to Peugeot 106's, Corsas, Saxos and other boy racer favourites, normally running 6000 or 8000k bulbs dazzling all other road users.
I'm assuming the H4 fitment is the type for classics and other flat headlights, as found on the early legacys like the OP describes.

If you want pics, there are plenty here on several models, including classics, that show the beam dispersal - possibly not as accurate as you might hope for, but will at least illustrate what you'd end up with.
A picture says a thousand words after all - HTH.
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...mpetition.html
Old 09 February 2011, 11:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If you've ever rerad any of my comments on HID, you'll see that I actually recommend them to people with headlights/driving lights using SINGLE FILAMENT bulbs.

They are fine. Not as good as a PROPER HID installation, but the difference is so small as to be unnoticeable.

The H4 kit is a different matter entirely. I have yet to see evidence of one that works properly in both dip and main beams.
The fact is that BOB sells'em, and keeps coming on here making comments about how wonderful they are, no scatter etc etc.

What he is saying CANNOT be true since the STANDARD lights scatter terribly, so if he's saying "no scatter", do his kits CURE the inherent problems of Scoob lights? I think not.

BUT: I await his beam pictures, both cutoff shown against a wall and main beam shown down a straight, level road, with interest. We have been asking for a while now.........

As regards MoT: afaik, no-one has yet been prosecuted for running aftermarket HID's. The new tests coming in 2012 will make it harder for testers to ignore them, since they need to see that whatever bulb is in use is compatible with whatever light unit in use.

My recent brush with Plod/VOSA showed me that they ARE on the ball about e-marking and DO know about HID compatibility..........or lack, thereof

As for this page: https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gal...mpetition.html

Useless. All it shows is the FRONT of cars with HID conversions. NO beam pettern, NO throw. One pic shows dip beam across a carpark, and appears to show that the kickup is on the RIGHT, wrong for UK cars

Last edited by alcazar; 09 February 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09 February 2011, 12:40 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

The fact that you have linked to this page shows that you also do not really know what is important.

Sick of arguing with people who convince themselves things are better than they are. OP do what you like........!

Unsubscribed.
Old 09 February 2011, 02:12 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by dan83590

The fact that you have linked to this page shows that you also do not really know what is important.

Sick of arguing with people who convince themselves things are better than they are. OP do what you like........!

Unsubscribed.
dan83590 - I am speaking from experience on my new age - hence I don't have to "convince myself" - I asked you to list the kits you've >supposedly< had "experience with" with an H4 fitment and you've just gone off on a rant.

Alcazar - you make a fair point about the suitability of the H4 lights.
Was thinking about this earlier and the fact the most of the newage cars have projector style headlights, which as you point out, are probably more suited to HID installation as they're more tightly focussed through a smaller aperture as opposed to classics etc.
I understand there's the option of retro-fitting angel-eye or similar fitments.

Regarding that link, I just did a few searches, found a thread with a few shots of beam coverage and hoped there may be some more - photobucket etc are blocked at work, so all I was trying to do was offer a page which might help resolve the points you guys were making considering you'd said that these lights scatter.
So yeah - I didn't check the content thoroughly, but I was just trying to get the argument resolved - not get Dan spitting blood...

Re e-mark points, knowing several local MOT stations, I can't see em being too concerned with HID bulbs around this area - where are you based alcazar?
Plod must be well bored if they're pulling you over for such menial stuff.
In Thames Valley I think they're kept too busy with "proper" crime to worry about HID kits - hence the number of ***** in boy racer chariots running kits that are probably using 10k bulbs and dazzling the crap out of everyone

Last edited by MrNoisy; 09 February 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09 February 2011, 02:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'm based in Scunny. Dumberside Police have not much better to do than go after motorists and need to get their ratings up

MoT? Well, there IS a new one coming. It's coming because we are getting more in line with Europe, and we all know that ANYTHING they say that raises money for our government WILL be enforced to the limit. A recent thread had a link to the lighting section, and it DID mention that "compatibility between the light unit and the source of light in use" would be checked. Like all things MoT, it remains to be seen how WELL it's checked. Just look how many cars WITH MoTs, (one assumes), are around with terribly aligned lights, never mind faulty ones.

But as I said, the lads that checked over my car, local traffic Plod and VOSA, were red hot on e-marking, (pointed out my smoked indicators weren't, and were, as such, illegal, plus that they were crap....since they are really dim), and questioned what bulbs I had in use in my headlights as they are bright. When I switched them off, he looked through the glass and OK'd them, plus checked the e-marking on both sets of headlights, (I run quad Morettes).

I REALLY don't know what it all spells out for HID aftermarket kits. It will be a shame if it does away with the single filament kits too, but I wouldn't mourn the loss of the awful H4 ones.
Old 09 February 2011, 05:15 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Interesting. My STI projector units are OEM Subaru items but I had them shipped over from Japan...

My local station has also mentioned the European stuff to me too - when I visited recently he said the government are currently looking at trying to ensure that all vehicles ECU's run the OEM official vehicle maps and that they haven't been modified.
To be fair, the tester was saying he can't picture quite how much money they'd need to spend to force all manufacturers to adopt a standard that would allow MOT stations to check this, let alone how much the machines would cost to buy!

My tester's stance on it is don't worry about for a while yet - the government would take forever to organise a **** up in a brewery - it's the same with the exhaust noise - legally, from what I understand, he's supposed to fail the vehicle if it's "unacceptably loud", but because there are no official guidelines on what constitutes "unacceptably loud" he's never failed a car!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 09 February 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09 February 2011, 05:22 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

test, please ignore.
Old 09 February 2011, 06:27 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
dan83590 - I am speaking from experience on my new age - hence I don't have to "convince myself" - I asked you to list the kits you've >supposedly< had "experience with" with an H4 fitment and you've just gone off on a rant.

So yeah - I didn't check the content thoroughly, but I was just trying to get the argument resolved - not get Dan spitting blood...
Jesus I am going to have to subscribe again.

No blood spat here...... Yet!

It really bugs me that traders cannot back up the H4 comments with a picture, nowt more than that.

I have tried a couple H4 HID's and seen loads more photos of beam pattern on various forums. I've not seen one that works yet, I await to be proved wrong.

And all of the other kits...... I am yet to see a kit that has no glare whatsoever. That said though, OE fitted HID lights also glare as the unit does not self adjust whilst driving, only at start up.

An ongoing argument that isn't going to end any time soon. I'm not against HID's, I'd love to have a kit that WORKED.