Notices

03 WRX does not seem to want to boost past 1.3 bar

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2011, 09:35 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 WRX does not seem to want to boost past 1.3 bar

My 03 WRX was mapped to 1.5 bar by Bob Rawle. It is gear dependant and does obviously change with higher revs. I have noticed that (bearing in mind I drive boring nearly all of the time) lately on a few spirited blasts that it is not boosting past around the 1.2, 1.3 bar mark. Most of the time I glance at the gauge it seems to be the standard 1.1bar.
The car feels fine in every other way, not sluggish, etc, so what would cause this change in maximum boost?
Is the answer as simple as I have driven so boring for so many miles now on the camera roads of Notts that the engine management has just wound all the timing back itself? Even when I floor it, there is no problem like bad petrol, etc, so I am not sure what is occurring.
Old 30 January 2011, 11:56 PM
Frankola
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02 wrx wagon was mapped and when we RR'd it it was 250bhp so after chatting to Duncan @ Racedynamix he decided the NPS switch may be the culprit and after filing the washer down and refitting it sure enough it's pulling a fair bit stronger! 8-D
Old 09 February 2011, 03:11 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
My 03 WRX was mapped to 1.5 bar by Bob Rawle. It is gear dependant and does obviously change with higher revs. I have noticed that (bearing in mind I drive boring nearly all of the time) lately on a few spirited blasts that it is not boosting past around the 1.2, 1.3 bar mark. Most of the time I glance at the gauge it seems to be the standard 1.1bar.
The car feels fine in every other way, not sluggish, etc, so what would cause this change in maximum boost?
Is the answer as simple as I have driven so boring for so many miles now on the camera roads of Notts that the engine management has just wound all the timing back itself? Even when I floor it, there is no problem like bad petrol, etc, so I am not sure what is occurring.
It may be a change in the weather if the car was mapped when very cold (easily fixed by your chosen mapper) ... or it could be a leaking vacuum hose to the boost gauge or a wide variety of other things