Notices

running in question

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2011, 02:08 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in question

hi people i have a quick question, after having a engine rebuild what is the running in time,i have a mate who had a engine rebuild at zen before they stopped doing builds and he had sti crank,rods,pistons ect fitted.
then the car was mapped with new ecu and he had no running in time to do after that.he was driving it hard next day.so is there a actual running in time needed for a ej20 engine once a rebuild has been done.i have heard people say that the subaru engine once build dont need running in from a few people then i have heard that it does from other people.reason im asking is my engine is being built as we speak sti pistons,rods,crank ect and want to get it right once i get it back.the car will need mapping once i get it back but is it worth me doing running in then getting it mapped as its 300 for a remap from jgm.so dont really want to get him out to map it before and then to map it again once done if that makes much sense.any help would be much appriaited kind regards.
Old 07 February 2011, 02:23 PM
b3mwe
Scooby Regular

i just had a 2.1 bulit by engine tuner and t was given a running in sheet of which i am following to the letter just in case
Old 07 February 2011, 02:40 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

but surely a 2.1 build would be a lot bigger that a build with sti rods,crank,pistons ect,i not saying that it wont need the running in process im just trying to find out other peoples opinions as want to get it right with my build.also what miles running in time was you told be engine tuner
Old 07 February 2011, 02:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, mine was rebuilt by Harvey and Darren, 2.5 forged short motor, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, FMIC and induction, six-speed box and diffs.

Bob Rawle mapped it. He put a "running in map" on it and it went back six weeks, or 1500+ miles later to have the proper map put on.
I was told to keep to certain maximum revs and increase it as the miles were put on.
Old 07 February 2011, 03:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine cc has changed then really it needs a running in map, or if anythig changed spec wise that will effect it like induction kit (alteration effect will vary from induction to induction) or injectors etc.
If changed is small cc and car is running on a maf then for light below 4000rpm running in it should be okay, but I prefer to check to make sure.

Some customers like a running map regardless of if should be necessary so that they know it is all put back together correct and safe to run in etc

Simon
Old 07 February 2011, 04:59 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

the engine in my95 wrx jdm turbo gave up on me,so im fitting a ra engine from i belive is a v4 sti so has sti pistons,crank,rods,and sti heads,rcm oil pump,new gaskets all round ect aswell ill be useing the same injectors that are in the car already i wont be changeing anything until i have booked you out to remap the car then ill be fitting a uprated fuel pump and possibly injectors, i was told that unless the bore has been rebored the running in process aint as long as 1 that has had a rebore,i was told say around 200miles carefull driving get it mapped the everything fingers crossed should be ok,also the car is running simtek at the moment aswell
Old 07 February 2011, 05:12 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

if you engoine has been or is abouit to be rebuilt you need to run it for a 1000 miles at least and keeping it below 3 grand on the revs in every gear until it hits about 600 miles then slow build up the revs but keep it off boost light throttles then was it hit the 1000 miles new oil and fillter and then take it it for a map but then i would want to take it easy for another 1000 miles and you can chnage the oil with ibn the first 100 miles as well take care of it and it will take care of you

Trending Topics

Old 07 February 2011, 05:16 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

understand i have done running in on other cars just not a scoob the engine was built for his rally car but i have talked him into selling it to me.the engine is ready and will be going into my car next week sometime its basicly a type ra engine.also would it be able to take around 350bhp with supporting mods with this engine
Old 07 February 2011, 05:18 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

there is no reason why not with a good mapper, and if your using jgm then yeah thats a good mapper
Old 07 February 2011, 05:27 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

ill be useing the ra engine with vf35 turbo now i no this wont hit 350bhp unless im wrong with bigger injectors,viper induction kit,fmic,bigger fuel pump,3" straight throught exhaust with stainless headers,simtek ecu,and maybe a few other things but that is already whats on the car minus injectors and fuel pump
Old 07 February 2011, 07:12 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Just replying to your pm
Old 09 February 2011, 09:10 AM
Aamar786
Scooby Regular

can someone please advise me what pistons and rods to use on my p1 as many recomendations would be good, i will try and ring u today simon lol
Old 09 February 2011, 12:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Ring you back inxa minute.

You being precautious or bought a p1 with broken motor?

Your not far from www.tfsracing.co.uk ask him about a 2.1

Simon
Old 09 February 2011, 01:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Simon, will try and get to you in Sheffield next Thursday, for a check of the ecu/running in map !

dunx

P.S. Has the O.P. got an aftermarket ecu or did I miss that somewhere ?

Last edited by dunx; 09 February 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09 February 2011, 03:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Sure thing dunx

Drop me a txt on wednesday and we can organise something