Notices

93 classic ecu re-map,chip,change ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2011, 12:20 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 classic ecu re-map,chip,change ecu?

i'm after some advice please i have a 93 wrx import i want to get re-mapped or chipped or even a different ecu what is my best option for around 100 quid
Old 27 January 2011, 12:25 AM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

your best option would be to save a few more pennies up £100 won't go very far!
Old 27 January 2011, 12:36 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

cheers was after something by the weekend, what's your estimate as its payday next week
Old 27 January 2011, 12:39 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

also looking at a td05 turbo would that be worth an investment
Old 27 January 2011, 12:44 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

the 93 WRX already as a TD05 on it mate! Remaps.... if you want an instant boost in power you caould try and get hold of a 95WRX ECU cheap, that will bump you by 20bhp I think it was.

For remaps etc you are going to have to save a far bit more mate
Old 27 January 2011, 12:49 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
the 93 WRX already as a TD05 on it mate! Remaps.... if you want an instant boost in power you caould try and get hold of a 95WRX ECU cheap, that will bump you by 20bhp I think it was.

For remaps etc you are going to have to save a far bit more mate
i was told i have td04 have to check,i'll have around 500ish to spend on her nxt week after a bit more umph cheers for the advice i'll have a look into a 95 ecu have been told newer ecu's are more mapable is this true anyone
Old 27 January 2011, 12:51 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

does anyone know the story with bmw z4 ecu's i can get hold of them and heard they are plug and play???????????????
Old 27 January 2011, 12:53 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

The Z4 is the ECU code from a later model impreza, it's not from a BMW LOL

Nope the 93WRX Defo has a TD05.... if yours has a TD04 it is a replacement unit and the car should have been mapped for it.

The late late cars are more mappable but the classics are classics I'm afraid. You won't be able to go above a 95ECU in your car but if you palnned to have it mapped I wouldn't bother with the ECU swap, Simply buy an ESL daughter board and have it mapped, job done.

It's worth waiting untill you have all the mods you want to fit laying around prior to mapping as you will constanly be mapping it otherwise and spunking shed loads of wedge simply due to impatience
Old 27 January 2011, 01:01 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

The Z4 is the ECU code from a later model impreza, it's not from a BMW LOL
LOL got yaaaaaa 1st scooby

Nope the 93WRX Defo has a TD05.... if yours has a TD04 it is a replacement unit and the car should have been mapped for it.
Good bit of info cheers

The late late cars are more mappable but the classics are classics I'm afraid. You won't be able to go above a 95ECU in your car but if you palnned to have it mapped I wouldn't bother with the ECU swap, Simply buy an ESL daughter board and have it mapped, job done.

Would i be best of keeping my ecu getting a 95 or a z4 (not bmw lol) for long term

It's worth waiting untill you have all the mods you want to fit laying around prior to mapping as you will constanly be mapping it otherwise and spunking shed loads of wedge simply due to impatience
I'm pretty much done for mods to be honest don't want to molester her tooooo much
Nice one for your input
Old 27 January 2011, 01:03 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Keep the ECU you have and spend the money on an ESL and remap... job done, pointless replacing an ECU you are going to mostly bypass anyway.
Old 27 January 2011, 01:07 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Keep the ECU you have and spend the money on an ESL and remap... job done, pointless replacing an ECU you are going to mostly bypass anyway.
Job done cheers pal
Old 27 January 2011, 10:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a saloon then you have a td05, if you have a wagon then you have a td04, but look at the brakes before doing anything else, I would demonstrate how bad they are on a straight against my astra diesel from speed, you may be shocked

Tony
Old 27 January 2011, 10:52 AM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

100% take that 100quid and get 4pots otherwise you will have no front end left when you have run up the back of some one lol

i changed mine before i even had it running,
answer to your ecu, you will need a chipped ecu to run 1.1bar from std 0.8,
Old 28 January 2011, 02:53 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

just been given a z4 ecu and some chip to solder in not sure about the map on it but its fopr a classic scoob is the z4 plug and play and any advice about the chip should i fit it or bin it,cheers scooby kid i have had a few scary moments lol no abs either is fun, looked into 4 pots all round for her ordered for next week cheers for the input guys
Old 28 January 2011, 03:21 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greenfumb
...looked into 4 pots all round for her ordered for next week cheers for the input guys
I hope you got a good price for them, as I have 2 sets of perfectly working 4-pots/2 sets of 294mm discs/2 sets of pads sitting here gathering dust!
Old 28 January 2011, 04:24 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
I hope you got a good price for them, as I have 2 sets of perfectly working 4-pots/2 sets of 294mm discs/2 sets of pads sitting here gathering dust!
can always cancel my order what price you looking for calipers disc's and pads bro

Last edited by greenfumb; 28 January 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 28 January 2011, 04:46 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

* Both sets of calipers work perfectly - but one set is a bit tatty paint wise (would need stripping off and repainting to look nice), but perfectly usable all the same.

The other set are really nice looking - recently painted, etc. They were recently overhauled with new seals supplied and fitted by/at API too.

Both sets are painted red with white "SUBARU" letters (although the scabby set are more like pink due to fading lol).

I'd let the scabbier set go for cheaper than the nice set, obviously.

* 2 sets of 294mm discs: hardly used OEM ones and a set of OEM-spec Blue-print ones.

* 2 sets of pads: PF97 and DS2500 - both hardly used. About 80-90% of the meat left on both sets.

PM me with your choices - or indeed request for pictures, etc. - then we can go from there...

Last edited by joz8968; 28 January 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 28 January 2011, 08:57 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

just been given a z4 ecu and some chip to solder in
Its not one of them ebay chips is it?! there is only TWO decent chips about, one is a polar performance chip, and there is also a chip that a user by the name of majorsarcasm sells on here.

Each of these chips are different depending on what mods you have on your car. Also a chip for a UK is completely different to a chip for a WRX.

I think you will be best keeping the ecu you have now, keep it as standard as possible till you get a remappable ECU... engine's on these cars can be easily destroyed
Old 28 January 2011, 10:26 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can vouch for the major sarcasm chips. i have been runnign one for a good few thousand with no problems other than it highlighted a dodgy coil pack.
Old 28 January 2011, 10:29 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Its not one of them ebay chips is it?! there is only TWO decent chips about, one is a polar performance chip, and there is also a chip that a user by the name of majorsarcasm sells on here.

Each of these chips are different depending on what mods you have on your car. Also a chip for a UK is completely different to a chip for a WRX.

I think you will be best keeping the ecu you have now, keep it as standard as possible till you get a remappable ECU... engine's on these cars can be easily destroyed
i think it is you no looks exactly like this 1 on flebay just with no label on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...item255fda719a thinking bin or flebay for that might give it a try for a month or so though. what about the z4 ecu that should be a +20bhp when plugged in????
Old 28 January 2011, 10:31 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
i can vouch for the major sarcasm chips. i have been runnign one for a good few thousand with no problems other than it highlighted a dodgy coil pack.
sounds good to me gonna do a search for him now see what he says
Old 28 January 2011, 10:51 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

might give it a try for a month or so though. what about the z4 ecu that should be a +20bhp when plugged in????

And it might only take that month to damage your car with that chip.... If you go for a Polar Performance or Major Sarcasm chip, you dont need to get another ECU (or a Z4 ECU) as when you install the chip, it upgrades the ECU to the same software on the Z4, so no point in buying a Z4 AND a Chip... but if its a Z4 ECU in there already, the software will be the same as whats on the chip, the only difference will be the map that has been programmed onto the chip (ie different values for Front Mount, Headers, Decat and so on)
Old 28 January 2011, 11:04 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

And it might only take that month to damage your car with that chip.... If you go for a Polar Performance or Major Sarcasm chip, you dont need to get another ECU (or a Z4 ECU) as when you install the chip, it upgrades the ECU to the same software on the Z4, so no point in buying a Z4 AND a Chip... but if its a Z4 ECU in there already, the software will be the same as whats on the chip, the only difference will be the map that has been programmed onto the chip (ie different values for Front Mount, Headers, Decat and so on)
''it might only take that month to damage your engine'' hhhmmmm fair point, in the bin as of 2mins ago just pm'd the major gonna stick in the z4 and see what the guy says is best about the chip nice 1 for the advice + info
Old 28 January 2011, 11:06 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

like ya 93wrx jamz nice
Old 28 January 2011, 11:10 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

What mods are you running at the moment on the car? As I will have a Major Sarcasm chip for sale soon (well when i pull my finger out and get mine all sorted for this season)
Old 28 January 2011, 11:20 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

What mods are you running at the moment on the car? As I will have a Major Sarcasm chip for sale soon (well when i pull my finger out and get mine all sorted for this season)
at the mo stainless mid+rear straight through exhaust (de-cat deffo planned) dump valve wallbro 255 fuel pump short shift gearbox thats about it really plan on getting fuel pressure reg
Old 29 January 2011, 08:36 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

You dont need a fuel pressure regulator with those mods. One of the chips above should see you with 290 ish bhp and its mapped for a de-cat.

Dont bother with a Z4 ECU unless its free. I got one many years ago and noticed sweet FA difference really.
Old 29 January 2011, 11:09 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
You dont need a fuel pressure regulator with those mods. One of the chips above should see you with 290 ish bhp and its mapped for a de-cat

. sounds ok to me ,just a bit iffy as i aint got a clue what map is on the chip deffo for a scooby but dont no the afr,fuel cut settings dont really wanna run lean and go bang lol

Dont bother with a Z4 ECU unless its free. I got one many years ago and noticed sweet FA difference really.
it is a freddy freebie ecu should add 20ish bhp aparently worth a punt
Old 29 January 2011, 11:38 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Yes mate the Z4 ECU is mapped for 260bhp out of the factory, just confirm that your turbo is indeed a TD05 and not a TD04. Worth doing if it is a freebie otherwise don't bother.

To be honest that figure is just the peak power, you're not going to notice a huge difference in driving, the only way forward is an ESL daughtboard, it has EVERYTHING and a custom map, not a generic Chip such as a Major Sarcasm chip... But that is just my opinion.

Personally I don't agree with generic map chips on these sorts of cars, every engine is different and they all respond differently to mods. You can take two cars, same age, same mods and they will not make the same power LOL

Save up and do it properly mate or you will pay 3 times over in the the future ! !
Old 29 January 2011, 11:42 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i changed from a w6 ecu to a z4 i noticed a nice difference. nothing major but i t was there.
use the z4 ecu on its own until you get a major sarc chip. bin the ebay chip.

Quick Reply: 93 classic ecu re-map,chip,change ecu?