Notices

running rough but not dead help please

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2011, 03:47 PM
Rossyboy99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running rough but not dead help please

the car i recently brought a 1995 wrx sti, chap said bottom end had gone so he sold it for spares, i knew all this and when i went to collect battery was flat as a pancake,

i've just hooked it up to my car and after a while the scoobs battery had enough juice to start i just wanted to know the extent of the issue,

well low and behold it started running rough as **** and popping but no knock, notthat i can hear, its like the coilpacks not right but i have no knowledge of things like this and was wondering if anyone can help?

any diagrams of how there supposed to be hooked up and how do i test them, also what else could it be?
Old 14 January 2011, 03:52 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

the 4 seperate coil packs are ecu controlled, and they have there own plugs aso unless they have been taken out and swapped about and put back in by a blind man, the only time they go wrong is when they crack, remove the rubber cup on the end that goes over the plug and inspect for cracks,

But if th guy sold it as bottom end gone it most likely had, could be rings, crank but u would here that knocking, could just be head gaskets, i would try to find out of the other owner who and what he was told had gone will save hours messing about and guessing
Old 14 January 2011, 04:16 PM
Rossyboy99
Scooby Regular

its the single pack on the top with each lead from a birds eye view, bottom left to bottom left plug etc, i looked at the ends of the leads but not sure whats good and what it looks like broken.

the headgaskets are fine, well no sings of them going/gone,

its popping from exhaust and i can hear popping from the engine area,

also when i turned the key off it kept running?
Old 14 January 2011, 04:20 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

popping could be overfueling, could have hole in a piston, and as for overrun after key is off i think that is also down to ignition timing maybe overfueling