Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 12:40 AM
BigBurnz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

hey all!

just been out for a little jolly, when on the way back on the dualer, doing a steady 70mph, absolutely pissing it down, i noticed the oil pressure light on very very dimly. Looked at my gauge and was reading 75 psi. stopped immediately let it idle, sounded perfectly normal, gauge was around 30 psi, eventually the light dissapeared.

i decided to trust the gauge and press on home, only a couple miles away. gauge reading at a steady 50mph was 70 psi bang on, the faster i went the brighter the light came on, but by no means was it ON, still very dim.

what the hell?!

now, it is pissing down, its 25 to one and i aint going out to check the level, will do if its not floated down the road in the morning.

any ideas? should i trust the light even though its really dim? faulty sensor? rain?

thanks in advance
Old 08 January 2011, 09:41 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Possibly a short somewhere between the oil pressure switch and the dashboard light. Trust the gauge.
Old 08 January 2011, 11:56 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I would hazard a guess the switch has had it or waters got onto it as the light only takes an earth on the end of the wire to light it up. have you moved the o/e sensor to enable guage instalation
Old 08 January 2011, 12:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does sound like water in the connections. The OE sender works on NOT allowing current to go to earth, (the engine block), when pressure is up. Any amount of dirty moisture in the wiring will allow some current to flow, and as there's salt about, more current CAN flow.

TBH, I junked my sender and just use the gauge.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:27 PM
BigBurnz
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies guys

i checked the oil level this morning, seemed normal, started up, went for a trundle around no lamp at all, got back waited half hour and checked the level, was low!

gauge read normal the whole time.
Old 08 January 2011, 05:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No no! You MUST wait longer than half an hour before checking oil levels. Preferably check when cold.
Old 08 January 2011, 05:34 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil sender switch is under the alternator, into the block. Check the spade connection is ok and dry any water away from the switch.
If the problem persists then replace the sender. About £30 from Import Car Parts, RCMS etc.

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2011, 06:04 PM
BigBurnz
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies, will check that connection
Old 10 January 2011, 07:16 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are replacing the oil pressure switch be aware it only operates at 5 or 7 psi. This is very low and if you are driving normally you have probably totalled your engine by the time the light comes on. You can get a higher pressure swith to operate at 2 bar or 35 psi or whatever.
Chances are that the oil light flickers on tickover with one of the higher oil pressure switches so you have to be prepared to live with that and aware of it however it will give you greater advance warning so you may not totally goose an engine with an issue before you get it shut down.
The important thing is that you are looking out for changes within your engine ie. changes in the point at which the light illuminates, changes in pressure and so on.
These switches are available from various companies including Roger Clark Motorsport and different pressure settings are available.