Notices

Oil leak, anything other than rocker cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2011, 10:21 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak, anything other than rocker cover?

Ive got an oil leak which appears to be worsening. There is never any oil on the ground but after a bit of enthusiastic driving the other nite, i stopped and had a steady stream of black smoke coming from the side of the bonnet, ive had what i thought was steam coming from there before but i must have been mistaken. It often smells oily too.

When i opened the bonnet it was difficult to see where it was coming from but its low down. The gasket on the oil separator is dodgy but i can see where the oil goes from there and its not going far and there isnt much of it so im ruling that out.

If i look below the turbo i can see 2 pipes bolted to the bodywork, i think theyre power steering pipes, the bit that theyre bolted to is looking oily, not runny but quite thick. Those pipes look to be ok but whatever is leaking must be within drip / spray / mist reach of that area. the underside of the turbo looks ok.

I managed to catch a glimpse of the underside of the rocker cover when i had a little mirror there and i could see a bead of fresh looking oil but its very difficult to see anything else with those little mirrors.

So is there anything else in that area that could be leaking oil? If i replace the rocker gasket and the separator gasket, is that likely to solve it?
Old 03 January 2011, 10:52 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

If you do need a drivers side rocker gasket, I have one I was told my `leak` (which I haven`t actually got) would most likely be that.
Old 03 January 2011, 11:01 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Front crank?
Old 03 January 2011, 11:08 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

I've got exactly the same problem mate my mechanic had a wee look when he was doing the cambelt and said it likely the rocker cover. Seems to be worse if I don't drive it for a few days?! In assuming the oil is weeping out onto the headers, then when driving after a few days of it sitting there it smokes like hell for the first 20-30 mins of running/driving. Can't be leaking much as oil use isn't excessive.
Old 03 January 2011, 11:10 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

It does make the car look like a bailer though when your sitting at the traffic lights with smoke belching from your vents! Going to change the gasket myself next week shouldn't be too hard a job hopefully.
Old 04 January 2011, 01:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

When mine went it was at the rear of the driver's side rocker cover gasket, lower side.

I wiped it carefully with paper towels, left it overnight and then looked again next morning and there it was, on the header wrap, and some even on the floor.

P*ss-poor design, IMO.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:24 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, i think its definately worthwhile changing it and hoping thats the cause. Thanks for the offer of the gasket Steve, I've got someone interested in buying the car so im going to see if they want to do it themselves or have me do it. If im doing it then i'll be in touch!

I'm sure im too honest when i sell a car.
Old 05 January 2011, 12:02 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ml#post9799212
Old 05 January 2011, 12:50 PM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Mines always drivers side cover!! Changed every seal going and still does it slightly.