Notices

over reving

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2010, 07:18 PM
Fallingsnow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over reving

Hi, first time here so forgive if this is something thats been asked before, i have a 2004 2.0 turbo WRX impreza, mods are (as far as i know) S.S exshast system and a bailey dump valve, i bought the car like this and i'm not great at mechanical things, the problem i'm having is the car over reving, at first it seemed like the clutch was slipping pretty bad but it's been like this for almost a year and the clutch is still going so i doubt it's that anymore, it happends when i depress the clutch to change gear at anything over around 2700RPM but never below that, and also happends when i push the throttle anymore than around halfway down, the engine revs up to around 4500RPM till the speed catches up with the engine revs and then revs to 7000RPM with no problems, i also filled the fuel tank with shell v-power a few days ago and the problem got a lot worse, it now does it with even the smallest push on the throttle in any gear apart from first, i've heard from people that it could be an air flow meter problem but i have no idea myself so i thought i would ask somewhere people who know a lot more about them than me hang out and see if anyone has any ideas or has had this same problem, thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me on this.
Old 22 December 2010, 08:02 PM
The king
Scooby Regular

Sounds like clutch... In low/mid RPM you have the most torque, and at then at higher revs the torque goes down.. could explaine it. Most likely. Does it smell bad? Coooooould in raaaare occations be a driveshaft thats popping in and out though, this usually happens in the rear, and often in turns.
Old 22 December 2010, 08:23 PM
Fallingsnow
Scooby Newbie

no there is no smell at all, i've had clutch's go before and i'll admit thats what it sounds like but i would have thought if it was the clutch it would have bust before now, i dont drive the car hard very often, if it was a driveshaft wouldent that make the car unstable while under throttle? that dosent happen but it's another thing i guess i'll have to look at, thanks for your reply
Old 22 December 2010, 09:47 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fallingsnow
if it was the clutch it would have bust before now
Sounds like the clutch is fairly bust to me lol!

Have you tried putting it in 5th at around 2k rpm on an incline and putting foot flat to floor? should see your revs shoot right up if its slipping.

Also, try pulling away from standstill in 4th gear - if the clutch is working as it should, then you should stall.
Old 22 December 2010, 10:25 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Almost a year and you've not had it sorted.

Does it crunch the gears at all??

What is the pedal like, good and hard or soft and sloppy??

Where is the bite, low or high on the pedal??

I had similar symptoms on a BM many years ago, turned out an oil seal was seeping, allowing contamination of the clutch plate.
Old 22 December 2010, 10:45 PM
Fallingsnow
Scooby Newbie

replacing a clutch i've been told is not cheep for imprezas and i'd rather eliminate the possibilty's before i go trying to get it changed only to find out the problem is still there, dosent crunch any gears, clutch pedal is hard and the bite point is pretty high, gears can be a little slugish to engage but not any more than i would expect after 66,000K, have been told by subaru services that it is an ECU problem but have also been told by more expereanced subaru modifiers that the ECU's dont go wrong on impreza's without having been remapped, it could still be a possibilty tho as i cant trace the cars previous owner to ask what they had done to it
Old 07 March 2011, 02:08 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

I have exactly the same issue with mine, ive found many threads with many people having same issue but no explanations or answers really.It doesnt really bother me as its only slight but i have noticed it

My clutch I believe is fine, done all the checks you can do when driving and its not notchy in gears doesnt slip or smell.

Thought a resurection of the thread may bring new ideas to the topic
Old 07 March 2011, 05:14 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the clutch
Old 07 March 2011, 08:39 PM
widdows
Scooby Regular

stop beating around the bush, its the clutch and always was.
Old 08 March 2011, 01:38 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

maybe, im not convinced. I have been prooved wrong before though, looks like 6 speed box conversion may come sooner than i planned if it is
Old 19 February 2012, 11:36 AM
stanspeedautocare
Scooby Regular

dump valve . mine did the same .put recerc back on problem sorted
Old 20 February 2012, 08:07 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Definate clutch issue. either its worn or has oil leaking onto it causing slip which is why its lasted so long