Notices

locking wheel nut bolt problem!

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2010, 09:04 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking wheel nut bolt problem!

Hi guys, i made big mistake over the weekend and left my car unlocked and some little ****** went through it, there was nothing of value in the car but they did pinch my locking wheel nut bolts, i have had to move my car to a secure location for fear of them coming back for my wheels.

my question is the wheels have 2 types of bolts on them, 4 of the 5 bolts appear to be standard rota wheel nuts with a 12 or 14mm spline, the other bolt looks to be some form of locking wheel nut, i have ordered new bolts and wheel nuts.

my question is , i think i can get the 4 splined bolts off fine but am then left with this off locking wheel nut on each wheel which i think i am going to struggle with, the pattern of the wheel means getting a socket over it is impossible!

a pic of my wheel is below, as you can see the bottom bolt is the one i am going to have problems with! any help appreciated.

Old 14 December 2010, 09:44 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Got mine off with a Torx socket. Your local Helfrauds should sell them individually for a few quid. Get one that is a tad to big, drive it in with a hammer and use a good half inch bar. It is frighteningly easy.
I changed the style of locker after i realized.
Old 14 December 2010, 10:02 AM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Or you can try an actual locking wheel nut removal tool - they sell these in halfords for about £10. Its reverse thread, so you put them over the locking wheel nut and it grips on and will undo it.
Unfortunately, if someone really wants a set of wheels, locking wheel nuts wont massively stop them.
Old 14 December 2010, 10:10 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
Or you can try an actual locking wheel nut removal tool - they sell these in halfords for about £10. Its reverse thread, so you put them over the locking wheel nut and it grips on and will undo it.
Unfortunately, if someone really wants a set of wheels, locking wheel nuts wont massively stop them.
The OP needs to get 'in' the locker, not 'over' it.
Yeah, like i said, they are frighteningly easy to remove.
Old 14 December 2010, 10:17 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

yea i think the torx bit is going to be my best bet , then get a breaker bar on it to lever it. will see how that goes, failing that i guess take it somewhere to have them drilled out

thanks for the help guys
Old 14 December 2010, 10:53 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Will be easy to remove as b13bat has said.
Old 14 December 2010, 11:03 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for above ,could probably get them off with a good set of mole grips and a power bar ,failing that the torx socket willsort it.
Old 14 December 2010, 12:15 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

the 4 of the same are not the problem, that last odd bottom one is, will a torx socket get that off do you think? its more of a rounded inward pattern, i was thinking of hammering a square sort of bar in it if all else fails
Old 14 December 2010, 12:36 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
the 4 of the same are not the problem, that last odd bottom one is, will a torx socket get that off do you think? its more of a rounded inward pattern, i was thinking of hammering a square sort of bar in it if all else fails
My lockers where a very similar shape to yours and the Torx worked very well, first time. If you can get a 1/2" or 1/4" drive to fit tight in there it will most probably do it for you.
The advantages with the Torx is the fact that you will have to hammer it in nice and tight which then creates it's own fitment. Also having more points of contact so there is less chance of it slipping.
Old 14 December 2010, 12:38 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

so am i going to need a fair few amount of torx sockets then as i got the same scenario on all 4 wheels lol
Old 14 December 2010, 12:56 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
so am i going to need a fair few amount of torx sockets then as i got the same scenario on all 4 wheels lol
No. What i did was, drove to Halfords and asked to try a couple of sizes then bought the one that was too big. Went home, drove the Torx into the first locker and cracked it off. Then i used the hammer to gently tap the Torx socket up/down and left/right until it loosened. Then moved on to the next locker.
The Torx are pretty tough. That tough in fact that i still have mine and it is still perfectly usable.

edit: make sure your looking at Torx and NOT Hex.
Old 14 December 2010, 09:33 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

As far as locking wheel nuts go they look pretty easy to remove.
I used to have some where the nut top was flat and had a lazer cut 2mm sort of circle cut in it and it had a key that fitted inside the circle. Also the whole outside of the nut rotated so you couldn't chap anything on it. I lost the key and have never fitted lockers since.
If they have the ***** to try and nick the wheels from the the car in my driveway they are welcome to them