Help Required from Newbie user Engine Management Light

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2010, 01:32 PM
fez2k8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Required from Newbie user Engine Management Light

Hi all,

Apologies for my ignorance in advance, I am Faz 25 from South Yorkshire, I recently acquired a Subaru Impreza WRX 2002 83k Full Subaru Service History recently serviced at 81k miles with cam belt change with an aftermarket BOV (HKS). Just recently i have got the Engine Management light flashing for approx 5 mins then staying static.

I have been browsing the forums and came across a common problem with the bugeye impreza’s with the Neutral Position switch and possible mods to fix this issue. Before indulging in this little diagnosis i popped open the bonnet to see if there were any loose hose’s etc, i noticed a loose Hose and snapped Hose as pictured below,

Can anyone shed any light on what these hoses are for and if they may be contributing to the Management light coming on? The car runs spot on, no lagginess, misfires or any issues as yet.

I have a spare set of NGK Spark plugs i may try and swap over on the weekend., i will also purchase a OBD2 fault code reader if the problem persists.

Any help would be most appreciated?

Thanks

Faz
Old 07 December 2010, 03:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a snapped pipe then you need to replace it, im no master at what all the pipes do under the bonnet but if its attached both ends then it normally does something.
Neutral pos switch in 99% of cases wont show a cel anyway, you need a select monitor type box on it that shows you if its engaging or not, and thats dealer/speciallist area.
I would take the car to a speciallist and get a full healthcheck done, forget the odb2 reader, waste of money, spark plugs wont be worth changing unless they are the correct type and chances are they were already done at the major service.

Tony
Old 07 December 2010, 03:38 PM
fez2k8
Scooby Newbie

Excellent, i will try and get myself to the Subaru Dealers to run a health check, do you know what the rough price is to get a diagnosis?

thanks

Faz
Old 07 December 2010, 04:23 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top hose looks like a breather pipe where it joins the inlet. If it's loose, then unmetered air may be sucked in which will upset the fuelling - get it fixed.

Bottom picture looks to me like the pipe from the boost control solenoid, the one that runs back to the intake system. Car will run fine without it connected, and wouldn't have thought it would throw a CEL.

But it might be that all the piping between the turbo nipple, wastegate, and boost control solenoid are dodgy, so worth checking it all out.
Old 07 December 2010, 04:59 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

i would suggest putting a cable tie round to keep them tight. its common that there a loose fit and keep coming off
Old 07 December 2010, 06:14 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet Faz.

I've no idea what the pipe is for but does, as above reqire securing.

Any chance of a larger picture please, i can't quite make out the detail.
Old 11 December 2010, 03:09 PM
fez2k8
Scooby Newbie

Just an update,

I purchased a USB OBD2 reader to connect to my laptop (Life Saver), connected this to the car and ran a scan, it found 1 fault which was Misfire in Cylinder 4 I investigated this by taking battery out as well as the washer fluid tank and found that the Coil no 4 didn’t have a wire connected to it, upon further investigation it looks like the clips were broken and this came off whilst driving,

I tie rapped the connector to the Coil securely and reset the CEL on the Software, started car and it cleared the CEL, I’m well happy!

Car was running rough kept juddering on Idle, and prob why I was getting crap fuel economy, iv notice twice as much power upon connecting the connector to the coil obviously was only running on 3 Cylinders!

Cheers for your help guys!