Notices

Clifford alarm won't stop going off

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2010, 03:23 PM
funkymunky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clifford alarm won't stop going off

Anyone else have the same problem? It's literally been going off all night long... It was suggested that the cold weather might have something to do with it, and it did happen last year around this sort of time.

Any hints/tips on how to sort this would be greatly appreciated as I am currently public enemy no.1 on my road!

Cheers
Old 26 November 2010, 03:34 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

No help to you really, but the only car i had with a Clifford on did the same thing and then progressed to going off as soon as you armed it.

My solution, after hours of playing about with was to remove it and refit with a Toad unit.

Last edited by Glowplug; 26 November 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 26 November 2010, 03:54 PM
scooby1wrx
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem but it was due to the battery being so dead in the car from lying up for a couple of weeks, then i had it going off in the very bad winds a couple of weeks ago, my bonnet lifts ever so slightly and because i have an omni sensor i think it was picking up on the bonnet lifting and banging down, is the car parked under a tree, i know this can upset the proxy but might also be causing an activation, another thing is it could be someone trying to get you to turn it off and then steal it but just keep an eye out for that, bad connection could also be the cause, if you had the alarm instaled your self it will be coverd under warrenty, just go to your nearest instaler and get it hooked up to the laptop, one more thing, leaving a mobile phone in the car can set it off if the phone rings
Old 26 November 2010, 03:55 PM
funkymunky
Scooby Newbie

I'm starting to see exactly where you are coming from! It's been OK as of lately but the last couple of days have been rubbish. I just hope I get some sleep tonight as it kept me up all last night
Old 26 November 2010, 04:25 PM
funkymunky
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby1wrx
I had the same problem but it was due to the battery being so dead in the car from lying up for a couple of weeks, then i had it going off in the very bad winds a couple of weeks ago, my bonnet lifts ever so slightly and because i have an omni sensor i think it was picking up on the bonnet lifting and banging down, is the car parked under a tree, i know this can upset the proxy but might also be causing an activation, another thing is it could be someone trying to get you to turn it off and then steal it but just keep an eye out for that, bad connection could also be the cause, if you had the alarm instaled your self it will be coverd under warrenty, just go to your nearest instaler and get it hooked up to the laptop, one more thing, leaving a mobile phone in the car can set it off if the phone rings
Thats interesting about the battery, I wonder if that might be the cause. I use it most evenings but don't use it for work so I'll look into that one...

No trees or mobile phones to deal with, and I'm pretty sure no one is trying to get me to switch it off. if they are then points for persistance as it was going off all night long! Unfortunately it was in the car when I got it so no idea who installed it or about warrantly, but I'm going to take it to a clifford dealer tomorrrow to have a look. Just hope they don't charge too much. I'm just hoping it will get through tonight....

Thanks for your reply!
Old 26 November 2010, 05:46 PM
jonboy0373
Scooby Regular

To be honest clifford are well known for false alarms, i would stick it valet mode. I have a thatcham cat 1 laserline and its fine, even with a batt that wont start the car !
Old 26 November 2010, 08:39 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I'd check your battery as above. One below par cell in your battery may trigger the voltage drop and the alarm will sound.I had the same problem some years ago down to a worn battery. Best of luck. Bob
Old 26 November 2010, 09:01 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

I have had Cliffords in all my cars over the last 13 odd years, early ones were rubbish and would always false alarm. The new G5 are spot on, not 1 false alarm in near 3 years of having it.

What I have noticed with them is
If you leave your mobile in the car with the system armed it will false alarm every time you get a phone call/message.
When it rains the proximity sensor expands its detection range which means that a cat looking for shelter will set off the proximity sensor which leads to the alarm going off.
If your car battery/fob battery levels are low the alarm will chirp extra times when armed(cant remember how many times) to let you know.

Last edited by petedotuk; 26 November 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 26 November 2010, 09:19 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkymunky
I'm starting to see exactly where you are coming from! It's been OK as of lately but the last couple of days have been rubbish. I just hope I get some sleep tonight as it kept me up all last night
If it was a Sigma you'd be able to tell what circuit was triggering the activations - can you do the same with yours? If so, it should be easy to rectify. The other thing other brands of alarm allow you to do is disable one or more of the security circuits. If you can do the same, just disable them one by one and see if you can stop the false alarms. If you can isolate the cause, by whatever method, you can fix it.

As above, cold weather could be aggravating a dodgy battery and making the alarm think the vehicle power is being tampered with. Alternatively, cold weather could be causing a marginal door/bonnet/boot switch to read "open" etc. etc.
Old 26 November 2010, 10:00 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
No help to you really, but the only car i had with a Clifford on did the same thing and then progressed to going off as soon as you armed it.

My solution, after hours of playing about with was to remove it and refit with a Toad unit.
Exactly the same thing i done
Old 26 November 2010, 11:10 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If it was a Sigma you'd be able to tell what circuit was triggering the activations - can you do the same with yours? If so, it should be easy to rectify. The other thing other brands of alarm allow you to do is disable one or more of the security circuits. If you can do the same, just disable them one by one and see if you can stop the false alarms. If you can isolate the cause, by whatever method, you can fix it.

As above, cold weather could be aggravating a dodgy battery and making the alarm think the vehicle power is being tampered with. Alternatively, cold weather could be causing a marginal door/bonnet/boot switch to read "open" etc. etc.
When you disarm the system after an alarm the LED will flash a certain amount of times to let you know what sensor has triggered.

You can also disarm the individual sensors. If the window stickers are fitted it will let him know what model is fitted so he can get the appropriate manual.(assuming he doesnt have it)
Old 24 September 2017, 09:41 PM
Rhys560
Scooby Newbie

I have a 03 impreza wrx wagon and a Clifford Black Jax 4 alarm system, I was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for it

Thanks