Notices

BEST TYPE R

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2010, 08:13 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST TYPE R

WHAT WOULD PEOPLES THOUGHT BE ON WHAT VERSION IS THE BETTER TYPE R??
version 4 for strongest engine
Old 23 November 2010, 08:16 PM
Zen1
Scooby Regular

lol version all sti's are nearly identical engines
Old 23 November 2010, 08:20 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

thats excellent!! your knowledge surpasses me
Old 23 November 2010, 08:24 PM
Zen1
Scooby Regular

its tru depends on your taste aswell are you looking for a 3 door as i have a black v4 on its way 71,000 km
Old 23 November 2010, 08:28 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i think you have misuderstood yes i may be looking for a type r but on many many other threads people rave about the engines in these so was hoping for peoples input on the internals and heads etc thats all
Old 23 November 2010, 08:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some say the version 3 has the best engine, I would say its the 5/6 but they have the weakest maf's, which is one of the biggest causes of engine failures in these version cars no doubt one that runs an after market mafless ecu will do just as well as the rest of them

Tony
Old 23 November 2010, 08:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

What Tony said.

V4 is no stronger than v3.. and v5/6 engines are better.. the myth of v3 being best imho comes from when modding first started on them and everyone had earlier than v5 and therefore the v3 heads were the best to use as v5 wouldn't fit.

v5/6 has to be best looking standard and best potential just want the maf.

Simon
Old 23 November 2010, 09:04 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

thanks simon and tony thats prett much what i was after and dont think ill ever be running mafless
Old 23 November 2010, 11:01 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Some say the version 3 has the best engine, I would say its the 5/6 but they have the weakest maf's,
Tony
Not sure that's an entirely reasonable/accurate criticism some five years after the stripe sensor was introduced Tony.

They certainly used to have the least reliable airflow meter, and that would be a consideration when buying a used car.

As to the OP's question, the Version 6 has on balance the best setup out of the box and is the easiest to tune (although the advantages over the 5 are marginal rather than groundbreaking). The version 5/6 ECUs, aside from being field reprogrammable, are also lightyears more powerful in pure computing terms than the older ones, which should, if all other things are equal (which of course they're not), result in more power at the wheels.

Last edited by Splitpin; 23 November 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 23 November 2010, 11:19 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

so basically a version 6 then!! thanks for all the info guys
Old 23 November 2010, 11:28 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

whats a version 6 perhaps better than 7 and 8?
Old 23 November 2010, 11:36 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx fifer
It's lighter
Ron, version 5 Type R owner (my second)
Old 23 November 2010, 11:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Tell us what you think a "version 7" and "version 8" are and we might have a chance of answering that question!

However, you're also there getting into areas that are both somewhat hotly debated - and the subject of **** nose how much of that debate in the past.

As such you migtht well learn something from five minutes searching.
Old 24 November 2010, 12:25 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

well a version 7 new age sti bug jdm and a blob ver 8 jdm or is that totally wrong cause thats what i have always thought they were

and to be honest i was just typing off the top of my head, i wasint thinking lets look into this deeply, i am interested though for my next move.
i know yourself and a whole host of others keeps going on about using the search feature over and over and over on nearly all threads BUT I HAVE USED IT MANY TIMES OVER A LONG PERIOD and think its rubbish it very rarely gets me what im looking for.
Old 24 November 2010, 09:36 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

well a version 7 new age sti bug jdm and a blob ver 8 jdm or is that totally wrong cause thats what i have always thought they were
Yeah, that's wrong - although it's the consensus misunderstanding that most people seem to default to. Search will have a lot more on this, but the bottom line is that there's no such thing as a "version 7", or a "version 8", unless you're talking about rally homologation. And if you are, the "popular" numbering scheme is wrong. Speaking of search...

i know yourself and a whole host of others keeps going on about using the search feature over and over and over on nearly all threads BUT I HAVE USED IT MANY TIMES OVER A LONG PERIOD and think its rubbish it very rarely gets me what im looking for.
The value you get out of it depends to a large degree what you type in the query box. Have you seen/tried this?
Old 24 November 2010, 10:22 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

ok your vast knowledge exeeds mine although yes i have looked at that before!! and yes i still think the same of the search facility.

so can i call them bugeye, blob eye and hawk eye etc or would that in essence be wrong as well and perhaps just call it subaru impreza?
im not going to be drawn into a debate on what the bloody cars are called when i talk about versions to people they know what im talking about is that not good enough lol.

so what did you think i though a version 7 and 8 were? classic prefacelft? you never even answered my question but perhaps your not 100% sure yourself, there is far too many self absorbed people on here that feel because they have answered a specific question before WHY SHOULD THEY HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!! well the answer is dont bother someone else will, and yes also if you feel you are the person to guide people around the site who do not know perhaps there would be abetter way of doing it?
Old 24 November 2010, 11:24 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

ok your vast knowledge exeeds mine although yes i have looked at that before!! and yes i still think the same of the search facility.

so can i call them bugeye, blob eye and hawk eye etc
Well, yes, that'd work, wouldn't it.

Im not going to be drawn into a debate on what the bloody cars are called when i talk about versions to people they know what im talking about is that not good enough lol.
If you don't want to get into a debate, never have this conversation with TonyBurns.

The problem with this whole version thing is that there are differences between the 2001 and 2002 model year STis (commonly both referred to as "7's"), and fundamental differences between the 03/04MY "narrow track" blobs and the 05MY wide track one - to the extent that some people refer to the 05 cars as 9's while others still call them 8's, giving room for even more confusion. It's all b*ll*cks - and if you're just chewing the cud it doesn't matter. However, if you're ordering parts for your car or discussing tuning details it becomes more of an issue - and you posted your thread in the technical forum. It therefore follows that you're going to get some knowledgeable people answering it.

so what did you think i though a version 7 and 8 were? classic prefacelft?
Clearly not, when the classic pre-facelift cars are the original STi and the Version 2.

you never even answered my question but perhaps your not 100% sure yourself,
On the contrary. I'm quite sure and I did answer your question - as I said, once Subaru went to the newage they stopped using version numbers in public so the only place where they still make sense is on a homologated rallycar.

If you're going to use a numbering system, the only factually grounded/accurate one (and the only one consistent with the convention Subaru established with the classics) increments every year. So 2001=7, 2002=8 etc etc etc. On that basis, the first hatches (2008MY) would be 14, and, not at all by coincidence, the 2008 rallycars are called the S14 and N14 by the people who made them.
Old 24 November 2010, 12:02 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

ok thats pretty good info, but internally and engine strength wise between these version from 5-8 thats what i was originally asking, as 6 seemed to be the good one, as i said above is this better than say a 7 or8
Old 24 November 2010, 12:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the late classic mafs are crap, mine blew two during mapping so ended up going after market ecu
Old 24 November 2010, 01:16 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
the late classic mafs are crap, mine blew two during mapping so ended up going after market ecu
When exactly are you talking about? The late classic MAFs had a deserved reputation for unreliability up until about five years ago, prior to the introduction of the green stripe revision. Now they're at least significantly better - to the point where, touching wood, the sensor that's been in my car for something like the last four years still performs exactly the same as the brand new one I periodically put in to cross-check it against.

Sure you can get the occasional one that comes up short on mean time before failure but that can happen with any component. As per #9, making this statement nowadays as a sweeping generalisation is a little backward-looking (and inaccurate).

ok thats pretty good info, but internally and engine strength wise between these version from 5-8 thats what i was originally asking, as 6 seemed to be the good one, as i said above is this better than say a 7 or8
It's questions like this that demonstrate why trying to lump newage cars together under the version number thing gets really silly - primarily because once the newage STi was sold outside Japan, you see ever more significant differences between the engine spec of the JDM cars and those of the export markets, and yet, the default response of most people is to refer to all bugs as "7", and, even more perversely, all blobs as "8", despite the fact that the engine on the JDM ones is very significantly different to its UK equivalent. And that's before you even get into the '05 cars...

Again search is your friend if you want to know about detail differences. I just tried that and came up with this, which has saved me a stack of typing.
Old 24 November 2010, 05:03 PM
350bhptype~R
Scooby Regular

check this out mate it shows all the differant models from day 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX_STI
Old 24 November 2010, 05:15 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i already have all the models and variations and limited editions worl wide on a diffrent link but cheers anyway
Old 24 November 2010, 05:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You have a couple of options really, all the V6 STI type R's have quick rack steering, only the V5 limiteds have quick rack, either way they are good cars (I know I have an MY99 Version 5 STI type R in cool grey ) and an MY03 STI Spec C Limited, though I do prefer the Spec C to the Type R for everyday driving, but they are out of your price bracket unfortunately
Take your time looking, thats my only advice, there are plenty out there, some real dogs and some that have had money spent on them to get them up to scratch (mine for example but she isnt quite finished yet then she is being sold ) cos I cant afford to run 2 scoobs, an astra cdti and have a Pug 306 S16 as a project car

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 24 November 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 24 November 2010, 05:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitpin
When exactly are you talking about? The late classic MAFs had a deserved reputation for unreliability up until about five years ago, prior to the introduction of the green stripe revision. Now they're at least significantly better - to the point where, touching wood, the sensor that's been in my car for something like the last four years still performs exactly the same as the brand new one I periodically put in to cross-check it against.
should have added it wasn;t being mappe dont he standard turbo or intake system