whats the difference ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2009, 03:07 AM
squ1re
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the difference ?

hi
would like to advice and answer some questions ? sti blob eye versions if possible ?

what are the changes from a 03
to a 05 plate sti ? ( before Hawkeye )

I am aware that there were some interior changes and other mechanical changes ?

wider wheels (replaces 7.5 ) ?
new slip diff ?
larger wheels arches ?

A 05 blob eye sti still uses the 2.0 boxer engine not the 2.5 fitted into hawkeyes ?

advice / help would be grateful
Old 27 December 2009, 07:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello
Right I shall try to answer your questions

To start with there are 2 domestic markets for these cars that you will see in the uk, one is the UK domestic market and the other is the Japanese domestic market (JDM).
At these model years both cars are totally different beasts (well one is anyway ) but I shall start with the tame one
UK market cars were mechanically similar to the previous version (MY02 car) but with cosmetic changes, they produce 262bhp (265ps) unless they have the Prodrive Performance Package fitted and then its 305ps (302bhp).
These cars some with a fast rack steering (2.5 turns, this has not changed across the range) and a pcd of 100 on the MY03/04 cars (please note some people call these version 8 cars, they are not as versions finished with the last of the classic MY00 STI's and you will see why with the differences on the JDM cars).
The UK cars came with a VF35 single scroll turbocharger but with forged pistons and decent rods, they are pretty tunable for not much money (compared to the classic cars).
The major difference between these and the MY05 cars is the A-DCCD, the geometry/tracking changes to the same as the JDM Spec C cars setup (better stability) and the change of PCD for the wheels (from 100 to 114).
The interior was upgraded with a nicer centre dash console, but the engine output was still the same as the previous 2 Model Years (MY's) and you had the rear "flared" arches.

Now the JDM market cars were totally different to the UK ones, the looked similar and thats where it ended, there were 3 versions in the MY03/04 years, the KL which was the poverty spec vehicle (well it didnt have the drivers pack, one or 2 around but not worth buying over the slighly better specc'd version) which was the GL, this had the drivers pack which was the A-DCCD and the Quick rack steering (quick rack, 2.25 turns, more feel and more precise).
These cars came with twin scroll engines which were a much uprated unit over the previous item (which was similar to the MY03-05 uk car but with more power due to the ecu map).
The main benefit of the twin scroll unit was greater torque and drivability with the power coming on from as little as 1700 rpm compared to over 3k in the uk cars (and a higher rev range), also improvements to the internals for greater oil distribution to the bearings and a better sump, these came with equal length headers (you lose that slight burble but gain a rally sound ) and the car was far better specc'd than its UK counterpart.
They require slightly more servicing (an extra oil change once a year and the dccd gearbox requires the fluid changing every year instead of every 2 years) but they have a higher output with a quoted 280ps (more like 300-310bhp) and 290+lbs of torque (of which 80% was produced at 2500 rpm).
These had slightly lower gearing in 5th and 6th over the uk cars, still they could do about 170mph at 8000 rpm

The other model was the Spec C, its a lightweight model and the MY05 cars benefitted from the geometry and tracking changes that this car had, it was a "lower" specc'd car in many ways but also benefitted from many upgrades (oil cooler for engine and transmission for instance as well as a 12ltr water tank in the boot for the intercooler water spray), but lost out on sound deadening.
They use a low friction twin scroll turbocharger (VF36 compared to the sleeve bearing VF37 on the KL/GL cars) and are a little more hard core.
These came in a couple of versions but mechanically they were all similar (with the exception of the motorsport 16 inch version which had some deletes).

These JDM cars shared similar changes to the UK cars when they were produced in MY05 guise, (with the exception of the Spec C that already had the geometry changes) but also they had a revised manifold for better gas flow and a higher power output (about 310-320bhp)

JDM MY06 cars continued (and they still do) to use the twin scroll units, MY06 uk/us cars use the 2.5ltr unit.

Tony