Notices

which remap

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2010, 09:08 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which remap

i need to get a remap or new ecu but not sure which one to go for any idea its on a turbo2000 my00
i was looking at an ecutek or a simtek but unsure
Old 22 November 2010, 09:15 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello dean,

you could go for the apexi power fc and commander
which i have in my classic running 340.3 bhp ( mapped by clive atthowes )
simtek are good aswel but expensive and bit more up to date then the apexi
but the apexi is still a good bit of kit and used by loads of people
i think the ecutek just gives your standard ecu a flash where the apexi and simtek are actual ecu units.

Billy
Old 22 November 2010, 09:17 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

have a good look hear
http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/index2.html
Old 22 November 2010, 09:22 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kinder
i need to get a remap or new ecu but not sure which one to go for any idea its on a turbo2000 my00
i was looking at an ecutek or a simtek but unsure
firstly,why do you need a remap.i presume you have been adding parts to your car and now need to get it set up to support these mods.we need to know what things you have added to your car so we can advise you correctly of which way to go.
Old 22 November 2010, 09:28 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

the car has got a fmic cat back exhaust large intake pipe air filter and will have a sport cat on the week end and its over fueling which has wrecked my cat so has failed its mot

billy,

i did think about the apexi ones but cant seem to find any and dont really knwo much about them
Old 22 November 2010, 09:34 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

the car has got a fmic cat back exhaust large intake pipe air filter and will have a sport cat on the week end and its over fueling which has wrecked my cat so has failed its mot

billy,

i did think about the apexi ones but cant seem to find any and dont really knwo much about them
i would think that an open source remap would be your cheapest option,it will give you just the same as an ecutek remap but with ecutek you will need to pay for the licence,so will work out a little more expensive.
Old 22 November 2010, 09:56 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

billy,

took me ages to find mine mate,try looking on here and ebay

as above the ecutek - you'll have to pay for the licence but when
payed for its cheaper in the future for tweaks etc...

i'll take you out in mine and see what ya think before she goes up for sale

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2010, 09:59 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBB3
took me ages to find mine mate,try looking on here and ebay

as above the ecutek - you'll have to pay for the licence but when
payed for its cheaper in the future for tweaks etc...

i'll take you out in mine and see what ya think before she goes up for sale

i need to get it done asap as it failed the mot because of the emissions i got a sport cat and new lambda today but dont want the overfueling to wreck this lot
i may give clive a call and see what he says

i did see yours on piston heads the other day you decided to sell up now

Last edited by kinder; 22 November 2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: new content
Old 22 November 2010, 11:31 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Open source is not available for a classic, so out of the equation.
On a late model classic the MAF is not too good, and prone to failure.

As you haven't already paid for a Ecutek license I would at this moment consider a 2nd hand Simtek,and have that mapped to your car as that is probably not much more money then the Ecutek license + mapping costs ,and they tend to come up for sale sometimes from people who have moved on (to a syvecs for example)
That way you can chuck the MAF sensor completely, and have one less thing to worry about.

That is also why I would advise against a PowerFC on a My99-2000 car,as that keeps the MAF.
Old 22 November 2010, 11:36 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
i would think that an open source remap would be your cheapest option
When last I was aware, there was no proven "open source" remapping system available for the 99-00 cars. Ecutek only at the moment, at least, is the only option.

i need to get it done asap as it failed the mot because of the emissions
Whoa, steady on a bit. You've got the wrong end of a couple of sticks here.

If it has failed an MOT on emissions, a remap will not fix this - not sure where you got the idea that it will. Altering the mapping only materially affects the car's performance under open loop conditions. The emissions test is done under closed loop and thus the oxygen sensor and the air/fuel correction system is primarily in charge of fuelling. So, even if you lean it off in the low load/engine speed cells, the correction system will add the "missing" fuel back in.

If it won't pass the emissions test, it is either because the remaining catalyst in your downpipe is worn out, or because the oxygen sensor is knackered, or both. It would be easier to tell you which is the likeliest explanation if you can tell us exactly what the emissions test results were.

i got a sport cat and new lambda today but dont want the overfueling to wreck this lot
What makes you think it is overfuelling? If it is, it will almost certainly be because the oxygen sensor has degraded/failed.

However, given that your car is fitted with a "large intake pipe air filter", it is far more likely that it is underfuelling, possibly quite seriously, under boost. To be honest there is no point whatsoever running either the FMIC or that induction kit as long as you are running the standard mapping - were they already on the car when you bought it? If not, the best thing you could do with them is to remove and refit with the standard parts.

You may well find that fitting a new sports cat and the new O2 sensor is enough to get it through the MOT with flying colours. However those two unmapped modifications will be hobbling the engine's performance and, possibly, putting it into an unsafe performance envelope. If you are going to keep them on you need it mapped properly, and on a reasonably urgent basis. If you're not going to do that, the best thing you can do, as above, is to take them off and refit the standard parts, if that is an option for you.
Old 23 November 2010, 12:46 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

The exact emissions was co was 1.50 on first try second was 1.47
The lambda reading was 0.965 both times which also failed
I know I need a remap I'm goin to get it done as soon as I got it trough the mot
Do you think that a sport cat will get it trough
Old 23 November 2010, 02:34 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As splitpin says, you've got a problem with emissions that all points to an existing component failure. You should find that fault and fix it before going any further. My MY2000 classic has needed a new lambda sensor to cure a similar problem. I’ve also had to clean the MAF sensor to solve a similar problem. On another car, I had to replace the throttle postion sensor to cure the same problem. I would start with these. It may save you money if you go to a dealer to get the fault diagnosed. Have you tried reading the fault code on your ECU?
Solve the problem, not the symptoms.

John
Old 23 November 2010, 06:47 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

Hi John I have just done a fault code read I dint realise how easy they are to do and I got 23 which I believe tone the airflow meter circuit so could that be shot then ?
If so then even with the new sport cat on I take it still won't pass
Old 23 November 2010, 07:36 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The exact emissions was co was 1.50 on first try second was 1.47
The lambda reading was 0.965 both times which also failed
Likelihood is that both the O2 sensor and catalytic converter are naffed. Might be less of an issue if you still had the second cat in the centre section but reading your post further up, it seems that has been removed. If you still have it, you could always refit it for the MOT to give yourself some insurance.

Incidentally, earlier on you have blamed "overfuelling" for the death of the cat. It may simply be that it has died of use and old age.

I know I need a remap I'm goin to get it done as soon as I got it trough the mot
You should ideally remove the modifications. They aren't doing it any favours and will probably cause more trouble than they're worth even after the remap. What make are the intercooler and induction kit? Are we talking cheap eBay cr*p or recognised, quality brands?

Do you think that a sport cat will get it trough
Sports cat and new O2 sensor would be likely to result in a pass. As above, if you have the option, sports cat, new O2 sensor plus centre cat would increase the likelihood even more, even if one of them is technically only temporarily fitted.

Hi John I have just done a fault code read I dint realise how easy they are to do and I got 23 which I believe tone the airflow meter circuit so could that be shot then ?
It might, or might not be. It could simply be that someone has started the engine with the airflow sensor disconnected (or unplugged it while the engine was running) in the past.

If you have never actually seen the check engine light come on while you've been driving, it is likely that this code 23 error is from the past, and as above, is as likely to have been caused by the sensor being unplugged as it is by the unit actually failing.

To be honest though you are asking for trouble running the induction kit and FMIC without mapping as this is likely to result in MAF misreads. Also, depending on what brand cone filter it is, and how it is installed, you may be inadvertently damaging the airflow meter either as a result of poor filtration, or excessive vibration.

The bad news is that when these airflow meters degrade/begin to fail, they don't normally cause the code 23 error to set. The only point at which you see that is when the sensor isn't sending any signal at all - and you normally only get to that state after it has been misreading for some considerable time.

If so then even with the new sport cat on I take it still won't pass
Provided the cat and O2 sensor are in good condition it will probably pass an emissions test even with a degraded or failing airflow meter. However, a failing airflow meter, if that is what you have, has the potential to kill your engine, leaving you with a very significant repair bill if you don't catch it. As such, in some ways the MOT is the least of your worries.

The MAF unit for the 99-00 cars is just over a hundred quid - considerably cheaper than the earlier/later model years. If you haven't had the car very long it might be worth just fitting a new one on a precautionary basis. This is even more worthwhile given that you have the induction kit fitted. As above, if that isn't a properly fitted K&N, or similar MAF-friendly item, the best thing you can do really is to throw it in the bin. If you keep it, the engine needs mapping urgently.

It would also be worth you using the Advanced Search button on this forum, using "green stripe" (including the speech marks) as the search term. You will find some useful information in my posting history on how to tell the age of your MAF sensor - which will help inform your decision on whether or not to electively replace it.

Other thing you could try is to reset the ECU and see if the 23 error recurs. If it does, your meter is dropping out and requires replacement urgently (with no foot-down driving until you have done so).

Last edited by Splitpin; 23 November 2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 23 November 2010, 07:37 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

i need to get it done asap as it failed the mot because of the emissions i got a sport cat and new lambda today but dont want the overfueling to wreck this lot
i may give clive a call and see what he says

i did see yours on piston heads the other day you decided to sell up now

yep fancy a change mate maybe get a RA or someting not to sure yet
Old 23 November 2010, 09:00 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

i dont know what the air filter is it was on it when i bought the car im going to change it i was thinking of getting the simtek ecu as i can get rid of the maf altogether and i doubt the it has ever been changed im deffinatly going to get it mapped asap its not being driving until its done as i really dont fancy breaking anything else atm

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Likelihood is that both the O2 sensor and catalytic converter are naffed. Might be less of an issue if you still had the second cat in the centre section but reading your post further up, it seems that has been removed. If you still have it, you could always refit it for the MOT to give yourself some insurance.

Incidentally, earlier on you have blamed "overfuelling" for the death of the cat. It may simply be that it has died of use and old age.

You should ideally remove the modifications. They aren't doing it any favours and will probably cause more trouble than they're worth even after the remap. What make are the intercooler and induction kit? Are we talking cheap eBay cr*p or recognised, quality brands?

Sports cat and new O2 sensor would be likely to result in a pass. As above, if you have the option, sports cat, new O2 sensor plus centre cat would increase the likelihood even more, even if one of them is technically only temporarily fitted.

It might, or might not be. It could simply be that someone has started the engine with the airflow sensor disconnected (or unplugged it while the engine was running) in the past.

If you have never actually seen the check engine light come on while you've been driving, it is likely that this code 23 error is from the past, and as above, is as likely to have been caused by the sensor being unplugged as it is by the unit actually failing.

To be honest though you are asking for trouble running the induction kit and FMIC without mapping as this is likely to result in MAF misreads. Also, depending on what brand cone filter it is, and how it is installed, you may be inadvertently damaging the airflow meter either as a result of poor filtration, or excessive vibration.

The bad news is that when these airflow meters degrade/begin to fail, they don't normally cause the code 23 error to set. The only point at which you see that is when the sensor isn't sending any signal at all - and you normally only get to that state after it has been misreading for some considerable time.

Provided the cat and O2 sensor are in good condition it will probably pass an emissions test even with a degraded or failing airflow meter. However, a failing airflow meter, if that is what you have, has the potential to kill your engine, leaving you with a very significant repair bill if you don't catch it. As such, in some ways the MOT is the least of your worries.

The MAF unit for the 99-00 cars is just over a hundred quid - considerably cheaper than the earlier/later model years. If you haven't had the car very long it might be worth just fitting a new one on a precautionary basis. This is even more worthwhile given that you have the induction kit fitted. As above, if that isn't a properly fitted K&N, or similar MAF-friendly item, the best thing you can do really is to throw it in the bin. If you keep it, the engine needs mapping urgently.

It would also be worth you using the Advanced Search button on this forum, using "green stripe" (including the speech marks) as the search term. You will find some useful information in my posting history on how to tell the age of your MAF sensor - which will help inform your decision on whether or not to electively replace it.

Other thing you could try is to reset the ECU and see if the 23 error recurs. If it does, your meter is dropping out and requires replacement urgently (with no foot-down driving until you have done so).