Notices

HELP...! NEED SOME ADVICE ON ENGINE PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2010, 12:12 AM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...! NEED SOME ADVICE ON ENGINE PROBLEM!

hey there can anyone help me , give me some advice would be much appreciated, ive got a 95 wrx which had a new recon engine in april this year its done 2500 since and has a tdo5 turbo full exhaust decat system and hks filter i only bought it a few weeks ago but ive noticed a drastic change in power 75% of the time the power isn't there like it should be but boost gauge still go's to 1bar and and oil pressure is fine no lights have come on nothing?? when this started i noticed a tapping noise comming from the right hand side of engine as you look down on it i had that checked out been told it defo not bottom end or bearings and thinks its the injector as one of them sounds alot tappyer than the other when you put a screwdriver and listen so could this be my fault anyone had this probelm before...?

oh and also ive noticed if im drving at low revs for a while my temp gauge will drop back down to cold or quatre way when its been warmed up then go back to half way if i stop for a min is this a probelm

thanks guys.
Old 22 November 2010, 01:57 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

could be knock sensor is dodgy, backing off the timing hence less power, have you done a fault code check
Old 22 November 2010, 09:19 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stedee
could be knock sensor is dodgy, backing off the timing hence less power, have you done a fault code check
ive not had an fault lights come up mate like engine check. so i wont have and codes will it...? or am i wrong buddy...?
Old 23 November 2010, 02:33 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Definately got a bulb that works for the CEL ? Lights up and goes out on starting the car? Otherwise there might be hidden codes you're unaware of. Sounds like a knock sensor issue though although I had most my problems in the summer. You might want to make sure you have decent fuel in it too and see if the problem persists.

It also sounds like you have a thermostat which is stuck open slightly so the engine gets overly cold which isn't a good thing as the ECU will compensate by richening the mixture and that could lead to poor economy, bore wash and reduced life expectancy of the rings.
Old 23 November 2010, 03:26 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

have you checked all the boost pipes. check all the pipes to your induction system as well. check the 3 port as well. did the problem occur after you did a specific change. if so remove the lad modification and see if the problem goes away.
Old 23 November 2010, 10:42 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tjmatt
Definately got a bulb that works for the CEL ? Lights up and goes out on starting the car? Otherwise there might be hidden codes you're unaware of. Sounds like a knock sensor issue though although I had most my problems in the summer. You might want to make sure you have decent fuel in it too and see if the problem persists.

It also sounds like you have a thermostat which is stuck open slightly so the engine gets overly cold which isn't a good thing as the ECU will compensate by richening the mixture and that could lead to poor economy, bore wash and reduced life expectancy of the rings.
yes the light defonetly works as it does light up before started, ive been putting shell fuel in which seems good and ive put some fuel injection cleaner in aswell to try and solve tapping but didnt do much, and ok mate ill think ill change my thermostat asap then. thanks buddy.
Old 23 November 2010, 10:48 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bigsinky
have you checked all the boost pipes. check all the pipes to your induction system as well. check the 3 port as well. did the problem occur after you did a specific change. if so remove the lad modification and see if the problem goes away.
i dont really no what im quite looking at to be honest as never had a turbo before , whats happened today tho which i think has solved why its happening is that all of a sudden today it over boost to something silly like 2 bar and just kept going maybe more and then sort of cut the power as before it use to reach just under 1 bar then and stay there till ltake my foot off then 5 mins later after it just kept boosting it boost to about 1.1 bar and stayed which felt like spot on the right power i had when i first got it and its now gone back done to boostig to 0.9 bar and staying any ideas as why this is matey seems to just keep adjusting the boost itself and i dont have a manual boost controller or anything of the sort

any advice would be great guys thanls.

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2010, 08:19 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

just a thought maybe its boost solonoid
Old 24 November 2010, 08:30 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

any other ideas people do you agree with this..?
Old 27 November 2010, 10:49 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

...bump
Old 27 November 2010, 11:15 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

hi, mine seemed to be doing the same thing, had a good look around the net and read up alot about restrictor pills!
mine was boosting to the max sometimes on the gauge then other times seemed to be about 1.0-1.1.
i found the restrictor pill in the pipe between the turbo nipple and "t"
i have taken it out and now she only boosts to 0.6 all the time, am going to experiment
with the pill as with ours (pre 97 scoobs) the smaller the hole the bigger the boost
Old 28 November 2010, 02:42 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

ive noticed my water pump has started to drip now could this be affecting it in anyway ???