Notices

Timing/Cambelt has snapped

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2010, 08:22 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing/Cambelt has snapped

Well after a week i finally know whats wrong with the scooby,ive snapped the timing belt.I wasnt going hard at the time probably about 3000rpm.

So where go i from here new belt and try it or?
Old 21 November 2010, 08:24 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by gordy07
Well after a week i finally know whats wrong with the scooby,ive snapped the timing belt.I wasnt going hard at the time probably about 3000rpm.

So where go i from here new belt and try it or?
Theoretically, it will have bent some valves. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to investigate a bit further before actually pulling the engine out.
Old 21 November 2010, 08:25 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Wonder how bad valves bend on these cars when a belt snaps?
Old 21 November 2010, 08:39 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Theoretically, it will have bent some valves. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to investigate a bit further before actually pulling the engine out.
How would i investigate further without pulling the engine out?
Old 21 November 2010, 08:41 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

could try fitting a new belt and then see if you can turn it over by hand maybe? I guess if theyre bent then it will lock up...
Old 21 November 2010, 08:43 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

How would i investigate further without pulling the engine out?
dont think you can without the head off? maybe put a belt on, time it up and see if she runs? more than likely wont fire or it will miss fire, thats if it has done any damage?
Old 21 November 2010, 08:46 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Do i need to buy a kit with tensioner and cams or just a belt?

Trending Topics

Old 21 November 2010, 08:54 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Why cams, I take it you mean idlers, If i was you id just buy a belt and stick it on and try and turn it by hand and see how it goes from there...
Old 21 November 2010, 08:56 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f4la k
Why cams, I take it you mean idlers, If i was you id just buy a belt and stick it on and try and turn it by hand and see how it goes from there...
That might be the way i go it cant do any harm for the price of a belt eh.
Old 21 November 2010, 09:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fastboyslim
Wonder how bad valves bend on these cars when a belt snaps?
ANY bend is a disaster, trust me.
Old 21 November 2010, 10:05 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can turn the engine over by hand even with bent valves.
When the cambelt breaks, its not normally the piston coming up and causing the damage - its the Inlet valves hitting the exhaust valves first which bends/tips them due to the 52 degree angle of the valves in the head.
At 3000rpm, will be very suprised if you get away without any valve damage.

If there is no damage - go out and buy a lottery ticket as you will have been very lucky.

Mick
Old 21 November 2010, 10:08 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merlin24
You can turn the engine over by hand even with bent valves.
When the cambelt breaks, its not normally the piston coming up and causing the damage - its the Inlet valves hitting the exhaust valves first which bends/tips them due to the 52 degree angle of the valves in the head.
At 3000rpm, will be very suprised if you get away without any valve damage.

If there is no damage - go out and buy a lottery ticket as you will have been very lucky.

Mick
Evening Mick,id say lucky mate almost any interference engine will have bent the valves at 3k rpm i would think.
Old 21 November 2010, 10:33 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Hopefully not This car is turning into a money pit!
Old 21 November 2010, 10:56 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

If you fire it up even slightly bent valves will be heard. I had this after sourcing some second hand heads. A loud ticking that shouldnt have been there. Took the engine out took the offending head off and sure enough I had two slightly bent valves. The bend on the valves wasnt visible straight away but as soon as I put them into a drill and rotated it slowly you could see the movement in the valve head. I replaced the valves, refitted the head dropped the engine back in and its still going strong 3 years later
Old 21 November 2010, 10:59 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
If you fire it up even slightly bent valves will be heard. I had this after sourcing some second hand heads. A loud ticking that shouldnt have been there. Took the engine out took the offending head off and sure enough I had two slightly bent valves. The bend on the valves wasnt visible straight away but as soon as I put them into a drill and rotated it slowly you could see the movement in the valve head. I replaced the valves, refitted the head dropped the engine back in and its still going strong 3 years later
So it wont do any further harm to change the belt,try and turn over by hand and if not seized start it up?
Old 22 November 2010, 12:25 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Put a new belt on making sure its timed up properly and then rotate the engine by hand. If it rotates by hand without issue then its worth attempting to start it. be ready with that key incase you hear anything untoward and turn it off immediately. Any sound that wasnt there before needs investigating properly which will be an engine out heads off job.

Last edited by dazdavies; 22 November 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 22 November 2010, 02:29 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i would put the belt on and try moving it by hand , if it does move i would do a compression test by dry cranking, if that was ok which i doubt then i would start it.

btw ive got a set of sti valves but you will need hgs, pulleys at the very least.
shame you are in scotland cos i know someone who would do it at a good price
Old 22 November 2010, 06:09 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
i would put the belt on and try moving it by hand , if it does move i would do a compression test by dry cranking, if that was ok which i doubt then i would start it.

btw ive got a set of sti valves but you will need hgs, pulleys at the very least.
shame you are in scotland cos i know someone who would do it at a good price
I think that is the plan i am going to check the idlers tonight before i order up the belt.My mate is going to get me a compression tester and then i will change the belt and take it from there.

Thanks for the offer of the valves they may be needed yet lol
Old 22 November 2010, 06:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

endascope up the plug hole?
Old 30 November 2010, 09:15 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Well i refitted the new belt and made sure the timing was spot on,because when i done it a few days ago one of the cam pulleys was a couple of teeth out.

After it was done i turned it over by hand for a while and it felt ok so i tried to start it.Its turning over but making no attempt to start.

When i was turning it over the dash clock and lights etc were going off so i thought possibly the battery is flat so ive stuck it on charge until tommorow.

Any thoughts why it wouldnt want to fire?

I have not pressure tested it yet.
Old 30 November 2010, 10:06 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Well i refitted the new belt and made sure the timing was spot on,because when i done it a few days ago one of the cam pulleys was a couple of teeth out.

After it was done i turned it over by hand for a while and it felt ok so i tried to start it.Its turning over but making no attempt to start.

When i was turning it over the dash clock and lights etc were going off so i thought possibly the battery is flat so ive stuck it on charge until tommorow.

Any thoughts why it wouldnt want to fire?

I have not pressure tested it yet.
no compression due to the bent valves, a compression test will confirm this.
Old 30 November 2010, 10:29 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

I was going to test it at the weekend i was just wondering if there could be anything else.
I noticed on club WRX a guy was saying to check the crank line was facing up,i lined up the key tooth that the crank pulley goes onto and made that vertical if that makes sense.I will have to check it tommorow.
Old 30 November 2010, 10:31 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

I was going to test it at the weekend i was just wondering if there could be anything else.
I noticed on club WRX a guy was saying to check the crank line was facing up,i lined up the key tooth that the crank pulley goes onto and made that vertical if that makes sense.I will have to check it tommorow.
did you use the arrow or the line, the align the crank sprocket?
Old 30 November 2010, 10:45 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

I just turned the crank sprocket until the silver notch that holds the crank pulley was vertical and lined up with the mark on the block.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:02 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still think you have bent valves Always use the line as the timing mark (all pistons are halfway down the bore) when fitting a cam belt, the triangle is the tdc mark.

Mick
Old 30 November 2010, 11:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Word of warning: The above checks will only identify a badly bent valve (i.e one that's been bashed properly), it won't identify minor bent valve(s).

It may "seem" to run, but you may also hear a faint tapping noise. Bit like tappets.

You know that is? As Dazdavies says; its the sound of slightly bent valves hitting the seats off-square. As they bend and straighten, bend and straighten, bend and straighten (etc.) every time they open and close. As the valve spring is strong enough to pull a slightly bent valve closed, the engine will operate and give good compression. Problem is, its a ticking time bomb.

Eventually, a valve stem will seize in the guide, or give way from fatigue dropping a valve head and totally wreck the engine (knackered block, knackered head, knackered piston(s), rod(s) and crank etc).

It may take weeks or months, or the thirteenth time it hits 6000rpm in 3rd gear, for the worst to happen. But without stripping off the heads and removing the valve to check and be 100% sure everything is OK, you are in dangerous and unchartered waters. Unless you can afford to buy a new engine, don't cut corners!

Plus, why did the belt break anyway?

Too many time I heard of people change belts but not pay one bit of attention to the condition of the bearings in the idlers, tensioner, water pump, or fix any oil leaks from the shaft seals; all of which if left unchecked will cause a premature belt failure.

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 November 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01 December 2010, 09:03 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

Well the crankshaft was 180 degrees out so i took the belt off and started again.This time it started straight away and was running nicely with no bangs,tick or rattles.
Great i thought until i looked underneath and water appears to be coming out from the water pump,alot of water.
I wonder if the pump had seized or something thus causing the belt to snap.I shut it off asap and packed up the tools because this is the forth night i have been working on the car in subzero blizardous conditions until dark o clock.
I will have a better look tommorow.

Any thoughts?
Old 01 December 2010, 09:47 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

replace water pump and try again
Old 01 December 2010, 11:02 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very carefull if the pump seized that would break the belt and lose water if you heard it run ok you dont want it to do it again because your luck will proberly run out .

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 01 December 2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03 December 2010, 08:32 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

I am picking up a new water pump tommorow so i will fit that and update after.Thanks for all the replies so far

Quick Reply: Timing/Cambelt has snapped