Best Cable To Use With RomRaider

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2010, 07:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cable To Use With RomRaider

Evening all.

What is the best cable to use with RomRaider?

Which one are you using??

I've seen the Tactrix and have read of people using the VAG cable with success. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Edit: Cable is only required for logging.

Last edited by Glowplug; 18 November 2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:39 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Or you could try Tactrix, works very well.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:41 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

tactrix, i borrowed a VAG cable and it didn't work apparently some do some don't although the people in the know wouldnt use one for anymore than data logging,
what you using it for? dont you 93wrx?
Old 18 November 2010, 07:45 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
tactrix, i borrowed a VAG cable and it didn't work apparently some do some don't although the people in the know wouldnt use one for anymore than data logging,
what you using it for? dont you 93wrx?
Yeah should of put it in the op. I only want it for logging. As you know i have a MY93 so am unable to do anything else.

I don't even know if the plan will work yet. I have built a 9 pin SSM which works with Evoscan (limited) and have a 9 pin to 16 pin OBDII convertor on the way. I'm very interested in how it 'should' work and want a OBDII lined up ready for when it arrives.

So the VAG will be ok for logging then??

Originally Posted by Slowboy Racing
Or you could try Tactrix, works very well.
Just for you.

Last edited by Glowplug; 18 November 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:47 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I have a tactrix and it is the one to use, make sure you order the flash terminal blocks as well so they just plug in and put ecu into test mode for flashing and reading, I used one on my old MY03 wrx to put the prodrive map on it then ran some logs with romraider to check all was working fine. It also doubles up as a great error code reader and ecu resetter so worth keeping, as I have no intention of messing with my jdm sti map.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:48 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Yeah should of put it in the op. I only want it for logging. As you know i have a MY93 so am unable to do anything else.

So the VAG will be ok for logging then??

you haven't got a OBD2 port though have you?
Old 18 November 2010, 07:54 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

you haven't got a OBD2 port though have you?

No. 9 pin SSM. See edited post.
Old 18 November 2010, 08:37 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

No. 9 pin SSM. See edited post.
i see what did you use to build your ssm cable? as i need another one fro mine after selling my evoscan one.
Old 18 November 2010, 08:42 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

This is largely a moot point B13. There's no such thing as a "best" cable from a technical point of view, provided you have one that works. And where there are differences, you already have the best one available.

The only technical consideration with both the older and newer types of cable that could make one better than another is that some USB-serial chips can have difficulty locking their baud rate generators accurately onto the slightly non-standard data rates used in the Subaru ECUs, and this can, under certain circumstances, introduce data reception errors which can either slow down the update frequency (as bad inputs are rejected) or introduce odd readings (if whatever software you are using doesn't know how to reject a bad input).

As I've said to you via PM you already have an FTDI-based diagnostic cable. This is already as good as you will get - you will not find anything "better" than you already have.

For the later, MY99-onward, K-line based format, if all you want to do is log, again it doesn't matter a jot whether it's a Tactrix, generic ISO (i.e. vag.com-type). Under those circumstances there's no point shelling out any more than you need to, provided you have something that works acceptably.

You don't even need a Tactrix cable if you want to flash the later ECUs. You can use a generic ISO cable perfectly successfully provided you know how to manually switch in the flash voltage.

For the newer ECUs, the only cables that resolutely won't work are "OBDII only" cables based on the various ELM chips. These include a level of OBD command interpretation actualy inside the cable (rather than being a bare electrical interface), and so are incapable of switching to the Subaru proprietary SSM comms language.

Last edited by Splitpin; 18 November 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 18 November 2010, 09:51 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

i see what did you use to build your ssm cable? as i need another one fro mine after selling my evoscan one.
my94wrx, I used this how-to for the 9 pin. Only thing i changed was, i skipped the pin strip and soldered the wires direct.

Originally Posted by Splitpin
For the later, MY99-onward, K-line based format, if all you want to do is log, again it doesn't matter a jot whether it's a Tactrix, generic ISO (i.e. vag.com-type). Under those circumstances there's no point shelling out any more than you need to, provided you have something that works acceptably.

Evening squire,
I was going to PM you re this.

It's for the 9 pin SSM to 16 pin OBDII(?) convertor. I am going to need a 16 pin (OBDII style) cable to connect. And like you say, i didn't want to shell out for a expensive Tactrix if i can help it.

So, do i understand correctly, the VAG.com cable will be ok for logging only.
Bearing in mind of course, the convertor is actually a convertor, and not just a 9 to 9 in a 16 socket. It's just so i can line a cable up if the test on the convertor is positive.

Old 18 November 2010, 10:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It's for the 9 pin SSM to 16 pin OBDII(?) convertor. So, do i understand correctly, the VAG.com cable will be ok for logging only.
Yep. Anything advertised as vag.com compatible will work. If you wanted to go the DIY route you could make your own, but if all you want is something to test this converter, buying a pre-built one is easier and less hassle.

Bearing in mind of course, the convertor is actually a convertor, and not just a 9 to 9 in a 16 socket. It's just so i can line a cable up if the test on the convertor is positive.
As we've discussed elsewhere, I'll be interested to hear what the score is with that converter. Weird!
Old 18 November 2010, 11:07 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yep. Anything advertised as vag.com compatible will work.
Exellent, thankyou.

If you wanted to go the DIY route you could make your own, but if all you want is something to test this converter, buying a pre-built one is easier and less hassle.
Sort of looked into it last week, couldn't get my head round it, so rather than melt whats left of the old grey matter, i'm going pre-built this time.

As we've discussed elsewhere, I'll be interested to hear what the score is with that converter. Weird!
You'll be the first to know.

After the last time we spoke i checked the postage on it, and doh! i hadn't even paid the lad for it so it is even further delayed.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 19 November 2010, 12:08 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

If you've got the conversion to OBDII sorted, then this is the one I bought off ebay (took a risk on one of the cheapy ones):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And it worked fine for a 2005 WRX, not sure if this will help you or not but hopefully will!
Old 19 November 2010, 12:25 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Sort of looked into it last week, couldn't get my head round it, so rather than melt whats left of the old grey matter,
Tsk, I'm sure you know someone who could've provided you with a circuit diagram and parts list.

All the same, I can't argue with going pre-built under these circumstances. If all you're using it for is validating that converter then the less you spend the better. The one MDS_WRX suggests should do you fine, and leave change from a tenner.
Old 19 November 2010, 11:13 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
If you've got the conversion to OBDII sorted, then this is the one I bought off ebay (took a risk on one of the cheapy ones):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And it worked fine for a 2005 WRX, not sure if this will help you or not but hopefully will!
Excelente! Thankyou.

Just what i was looking for and at. The one i'd seen was 50p cheaper but as yours it tried and tested...

Tsk, I'm sure you know someone who could've provided you with a circuit diagram and parts list.
It seems i do.

All the same, I can't argue with going pre-built under these circumstances. If all you're using it for is validating that converter then the less you spend the better. The one MDS_WRX suggests should do you fine, and leave change from a tenner.
Yes cost was a factor, as where abilities.

Along with your usual knowledgable input, and MDX_WRXs' consise and informative post, it has to be pre-built this time.

Last edited by Glowplug; 19 November 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 19 November 2010, 12:43 PM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

Hope this helps a bit too https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...5-ppp-wrx.html
Old 19 November 2010, 08:02 PM
sc_sjo
Scooby Regular

I've also used one of the blue cheapy vagcom clone cables from ebay with success on a MY99 car.