Notices

How common is it for the 07 STI engine to go pop!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2010, 09:50 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How common is it for the 07 STI engine to go pop!

Ive just put a deposit down on a second hand 07 sti ppp with 25000 miles. I,ve done a little research and I am wondering if this is a good move to go back to subarus as i just do not have the finds to factor in engine rebuilds!
Should I be very concerned? warrenty for the scoob is coming in at £1000 for a year which is megga!

Does anyone know the stats for the Hawkeye 1 in 100 cars etc

thanks
Old 15 November 2010, 10:36 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stats dont really help tbh mate, the Hawkeye suffers from headgasket failure and the pistons were made by Cadbury's I would advise you to stay away from the 2.5 Sti's and look for a nice clean 2.0 Sti blobeye instead.
Old 15 November 2010, 10:36 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Hiya mate, i have no idea on stats but a lot of people on here seem to think it was the earlier 2.5 lts that went pear shaped.

I have an 07 STi with 35.5K on the clock and use it every day with no issues. also going to get it mapped on the 1st dec to 330 / 340 bhp.

HTH
Old 15 November 2010, 11:19 AM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

I ve just got of the phone from David at API and he suggested tht its 50/50 it may go bang!! But if I drive it like a granny and use correct fuel etc the odds go up to 80/20.

Its a shame as I really wanted to get back into a hawyeye but I would not have the funds to fix it if it went pop!!

Is it realy this bad??

Looks like Im going to loose my deposit!!

Thanks again
Old 15 November 2010, 11:34 AM
Talking Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume the car would come with some degree of warranty if purchased from a dealer. As yours will be under 7years old the warranty should cover the engine and most major mechanical parts.

Check with the dealer to see what’s included in warranty and the value of the work that can be covered.. Some people are mislead with warranties and only have a cover plan that will stump up the 1st £1000 for any work.
Old 15 November 2010, 12:01 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

No its a private buy so no warrenty. I looked at taking out extended warrenty which is £1000 and it has been suggested that these warrenty companies do there best not to pay.

I had an estimate that if it went pop it would cost around £3000 to fix it, If I had the money I would upgrade the pistons at a codt of £1800 including fitting.

What should I do guys!! Take the risk as I find its hard to belive 50% of the scoobs 2.5 are going to go bang!! or try and find a mint WR1??
Old 15 November 2010, 12:43 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Well i have just spoken to a the head of service of a local scooby dealer who i know responably well.

I have asked him how many 2.5 hawkeyes have had head gasket failers his responce was 0.

As said perviously i have a hawkeye sti that gets put through its paces with no issues. i do stick to proper warm up and cool down procedure and always monitor the coolant and oil levels

If it were me i would go for it. (Well actually i went for it) its a great car and keeps me smiling
Old 15 November 2010, 12:50 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info from your subaru service buddy, did he know of any that have had piston failiers? as this is my biggest worry.
cheers
Old 15 November 2010, 12:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mainly HG's as I understand it. They will all go pop given the right abuse. Just use the best fuel and fluids/servicing you can afford and treat it with respect. I have a zerosports thermostat in mine which keeps it running nice and cool too.
Old 15 November 2010, 01:03 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Mainly HG's as I understand it. They will all go pop given the right abuse. Just use the best fuel and fluids/servicing you can afford and treat it with respect. I have a zerosports thermostat in mine which keeps it running nice and cool too.
+ one

Re piston failure I didn't actually ask him about that to be honest, but its a new one on me.

Also i apologise in advance for the Sh*t spelling in my previous post
Old 15 November 2010, 01:13 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys sounds a little more hopeful!
David didnt mention the HG's his main concern was pistons.
I suppose this is the risk when you buy a second hand car as I dont know how the owners driven it!!!
Do most Hawkeye owners upgrade the thermostat on here? whats the rough cost of this?
Old 15 November 2010, 01:17 PM
Scooby Senior

£55 for the stat and the cost of a coolant change very worthwhile as the ZS Stat fails open and opens at 71 rather than 78dgs. Mine used to run on average 88-98 now runs 78-91.
Old 15 November 2010, 01:24 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

where did you buy yours from? Thats a definate upgrade I would do. Sorry for my ignorance but I take it that the higher the temp the more likely your HG's will fail.

Sorry for the spelling using the i-phone at the mo
Old 15 November 2010, 01:31 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Has anyone got the name of anouther good engine builder that has had good scooby net reviews? Just so I can get a good price comparison for rebuild costs.
Old 15 November 2010, 01:34 PM
Scooby Senior

Tim at Scoobyparts or Scoobyclinic used to sell them on ebay.

Where in the country are you
Old 15 November 2010, 02:25 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

Canterbury Kent
Old 15 November 2010, 02:46 PM
Scooby Senior

Well you're right in Jolly Green Monster territory for mapping and diagnostics or if you whizz round the M25 to Maidenhead you have FB Tuning for all your servicing, mechanics and also mapping, both by far the best people I have had working on my two subarus I am in Chelmsford

Last edited by 53; 15 November 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 15 November 2010, 03:55 PM
TypeUKPPP05
Scooby Regular

Hi I gave Richard a call at FB he was really helpful and suggested that I get him to check the ECU for any faults or info relating to the health of the engine. Which I will do. But again he suggested that it was a gamble buying a 2.5, just got to make my mind up now.
Old 15 November 2010, 04:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Life's a gamble, whatever you get Rich will look after you

I am not unhappy with my 2.5 but when I bought mine there was no hint of potential problems with the UK 2.5's. The question is would a 5 year old blobeye have any less risk associated with it ? or can you afford a newer JDM 2.0ltr Hawkeye. Price wise the level at which you can pick up a 2.5 Hawkeye makes more sense than not......possibly
Old 15 November 2010, 11:44 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is with the 2.5's and their b/s pistons which crack out the ring lands. Once heard it is a noise never forgotten and it is different to all other Subaru type engine noises.

The dealers WILL tell you no failures, can't think why. No!, maybe l can, might be something to do with trying to sell them.

Head gaskets do fail, I agree, but it is less of a problem [ expense ] than a cracked piston. 1.3 bar on a remap seems safe enough, any more and expect problems [ on STANDARD pistons ]

Never known a reason to precautionarily change a Subaru thermostat - as modern motors go the Subaru 'stat is as good as any. Leave well alone. We do modify the 'stat when we do big power builds on 2.5's [ NO !, I will not tell you how or why ] It is one of those things that sets our product aside from other builders.

Observe a few simple rules with a 2.5 and it'll have every chance.

Tesco Momentum or V Power. Warm up and cool down. NEVER drive it hard after waiting at lights or in a traffic jam, until you have cooled the heat soak in the top mount intercooler. Don't rev above 6500, there's no power up there and all you are doing is accelerating the wear on a few expensive parts.

David APi
Old 16 November 2010, 06:44 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Hardly known any 2.5 failures in the hawkeyes where still on standard turbo.

Have known 2 head gaskets go on peoples cars (or at least have known 2 people get conned into changing head gaskets because the cars were over heating and the garage was short of work).

No less reliable than any other scooby but much more driveable than all the others for the road.

Dont believe the scare stories !

Do treat it well, as David says no point revving beyond 6500 rpm, use good oil, good fuel (vpower) and warm up / cool down.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:20 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

my bottom end went at 12200 miles on a 57 plate sti with ppp had 2 services cvarried out at crossroads before i bought it then after i had done less than 2 thousand miles rattle rattle new short engine fitted under manufacturer warranty just finished clocking up 2000 miles on new engine still okay at moment. this is my 2nd scoob so know about warming up cooling down overrevving etc it is unusual for the bottom end to go but they do....
Old 16 November 2010, 11:10 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid

The dealers WILL tell you no failures, can't think why. No!, maybe l can, might be something to do with trying to sell them.

Hi David, I know what your saying and i mean this with the greatest of respect but i happen to know the dealer quite well. We don't got to each others birthday parties or anything but he was the first to admit that the famous knocking of the struts is with out doubt a fault and he / they have looked after me very well over the years, i.e not charging me for parts or labour on some items.

Hi Duncan looking forward to seeing you work your magic on the 1st
Old 16 November 2010, 02:03 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, would a 2.5 forged rebuild with pistons/rings and rods, uprated oil pumps, etc, be any more capable of revving to over 6500 safely than the standard semi closed deck block with standard internals ?

On WOT it's easy to slightly overshoot 6500 and get to 7k; which is where the warning light/buzzer is set at the moment.
Old 16 November 2010, 02:07 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

why dont you just get a jap subaru with a 2.0 engine and twin scroll
Old 16 November 2010, 02:15 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stanmo
Out of interest, would a 2.5 forged rebuild with pistons/rings and rods, uprated oil pumps, etc, be any more capable of revving to over 6500 safely than the standard semi closed deck block with standard internals ?

On WOT it's easy to slightly overshoot 6500 and get to 7k; which is where the warning light/buzzer is set at the moment.
my 2.5 built engine revs to 8300 quite nicely.
Old 16 November 2010, 02:27 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by stanmo

No point - the standard cams are all over and done by mid sixes AND being very oversquare [ the bore is larger than the stroke by a big margin ] it is never going to be a revvy engine.

All that will happen is that it will shake itself to bits sooner even with high lift cams. The more power you coax out of it, the shorter the life, no matter whose insides you use. Anywhere over 520 hp and you'll be very lucky to see 20,000 miles with trouble.

David
Old 16 November 2010, 02:50 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TypeUKPPP05
Ive just put a deposit down on a second hand 07 sti ppp with 25000 miles. I,ve done a little research and I am wondering if this is a good move to go back to subarus as i just do not have the finds to factor in engine rebuilds!
Should I be very concerned? warrenty for the scoob is coming in at £1000 for a year which is megga!

Does anyone know the stats for the Hawkeye 1 in 100 cars etc

thanks
Have you seen the very 1st sticky in 'General'??

Here it is: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html
Old 16 November 2010, 03:09 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by APIDavid
No point - the standard cams are all over and done by mid sixes AND being very oversquare [ the bore is larger than the stroke by a big margin ] it is never going to be a revvy engine.

All that will happen is that it will shake itself to bits sooner even with high lift cams. The more power you coax out of it, the shorter the life, no matter whose insides you use. Anywhere over 520 hp and you'll be very lucky to see 20,000 miles with trouble.

David
still standard cams in mine David
Old 16 November 2010, 09:02 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

How much would a replacing a head gasket cost (assuming local garage rather than main stealer costs). And an engine rebuild to replace pistons etc?

So buying an 06 STi, fitiing a Milltek and remapping it is not a strategy especially likely to result in these costs (assuming the above precautions are taken)?

I have one of David's recon 5 spd gearboxes on my 01 WRX - still going strong 3 yrs on, cheers David!

Quick Reply: How common is it for the 07 STI engine to go pop!