Notices

Water Temp Gauge - showing cool when not

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2010, 05:43 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Water Temp Gauge - showing cool when not

On my classic i have a front bumper that used to be fitted to a car that had a front mount,so the front is wide open on my car,which cools the rad alot more than normal classic front bumpers.

My water temp gauge,if stationary will go to 1/4 maybe half way, the air inside car is nice and warm,very quickly even when driving, but,when driving,the temp gauge will almost certainly show its cold,but its not,when i come to a stop for awhille, the gauge will increase to half way,when i drive,down it goes again,but the air temp from the vents doesnt alter,if i have it on hot air, it is HOT,nice n toasty etc.

so,is it down to the open bumper ??

cheers
Old 11 November 2010, 07:33 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you owned the car. Sound like theres no thermostat in it or one thats on its way out. I wouldnt have thought that havin a bumper cut out for a fmic would drop temps like that.
Old 11 November 2010, 07:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

ive owned the car 5 yrs now.
it never used to do this with old bumper yet,it was never good anyway,used to get to just over 1/4 way even on the hottest days.

i thought thermostat,but the air temp thru the vents gets hot very quick,as it should,then,after a while goes cooler when the thermostat opens i guess then i have to click it up a few notches on the temp dial, i dont suffer with any runnin issues or any cold air when it should be hot or vice versa

i would swap the termostat as its not that hard,but on my last scoob the nut sheared off as it corroded,just dont want that to happen for nothing if its not the termostat LOL
weird
Old 11 November 2010, 08:07 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

could it be the temp sensor itself is not working as it should?
Old 12 November 2010, 12:00 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

yeah,could be i guess,suppose its the easier of the few things it could be,i`ll start there and go from there

cheers
Old 30 November 2010, 05:04 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

hi mate how did you get on im having the same probelm and dont no where to start...?
Old 13 December 2010, 09:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by caulton
hi mate how did you get on im having the same probelm and dont no where to start...?

Hi,
if your really bored,read my other thread,https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...the-front.html if not,it turned out to be the sensor,mines a 95 classic tho,so if yours is a later model,it might use the main ecu temp sensor to change the dial needle

cheers
Old 13 December 2010, 11:33 PM
caulton
Scooby Newbie

hey just read your thread, the difference is with mine if i leave it ticking over from cold for 10 minutes the temp gauge go's to half way as it should but when i start driving abit it drops back down and my heaters probaly take about 10 - 15 mins to get hot would you say this is more the stat....? and whats involved in changing the stat and sensor is it alot...?

thanks mate.
Old 13 December 2010, 11:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

sounds like the stat for your problem,if the heaters are not blowing hot that quickly,mine took no more than 5 mins to blow hot.

The stat is easier,i removed the rad to make it easier,only added 5 mins to the job