gear box question

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 10:21 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear box question

hi guys,

i have a classic with a 6 speed conversion in it and Im in a bit of a dilemar. my engine has gone, (Big end failure) ive had a 2.5 built which i've supplied the majority of parts for. Ive run out of cash so im selling the 6 speed box to pay for the engine build.
My mate's offered me a type r short ratio box and diff. I know this is a bit of a backwards step but i just plan to nurse the car arround for a bit untill i can afford to get a hawkeye dccd box. i know these boxes have a low top end speed but that doesn't really bother me. Does any body know what power these boxes are good for in reality, how much they should cost for box and diff, and weather there is a better 5 speed box that i can nurse arround with for the time being untill i get the funds?
My uk classic boxe lasted 2 weeks after i had my old 18g fitted, and now im planning meths and a TD06 20g hoping for arround 430ish, so i know whatever 5 speed i get i'll have to be carefull with it.
Incase some of you wonder why im russhing and don't just wait, the cars bin off the road nearly 2 years, and i want to get her back together and start enjoying i for a while, rather than just watch her sit there an rot and it cost me over a grand a year in tax and insurance for the privialage. cheers guys
Old 09 November 2010, 07:33 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

your ra box will calve itself unless you drive it like a granny. did you swap the whole 5 speed drive drain out for a 6 speed. if so you will need to replace the rear diff, half shafts and hubs back to 5 speed items again.

Any abuse of power will see your 5 speed **** itself in short order and you will be worse of than when you started. i.e. no car on the road and no gearbox either. You have been warned.
Old 09 November 2010, 08:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What he said:^^^^^

It's torque that does for a gearbox and the 2.5 conversion has too much for a 5-speed, unless you drive like a granny ALL the time.
Old 09 November 2010, 07:29 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

furry muff, thats a good enuf reason not to swap it then, i haven't acctually sol it as of yet.