Notices

WRX No Speedo/Gearbox Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2010, 02:46 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX No Speedo/Gearbox Problem

Hi all, Basically I have a 1993 WRX which I very recently bought, On the drive home I noticed the speedo wasn't working and the CEL came on first time I put my foot down, After reading around on this forum I realised it was probably a simple fix and checked the obvious only to find there is NO speedo drive on my gearbox, There is Not even a hole for one? I know exactly where it should be but there is nothing, Just a blank where it looks like the casing would have been drilled out for the cable to go into, Now am I going to have to save up and buy a new gearbox or is there some way I can bypass the system so that I can have my rev's back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04 November 2010, 07:42 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WildPikey
Hi all, Basically I have a 1993 WRX which I very recently bought, On the drive home I noticed the speedo wasn't working and the CEL came on first time I put my foot down, After reading around on this forum I realised it was probably a simple fix and checked the obvious only to find there is NO speedo drive on my gearbox, There is Not even a hole for one? I know exactly where it should be but there is nothing, Just a blank where it looks like the casing would have been drilled out for the cable to go into, Now am I going to have to save up and buy a new gearbox or is there some way I can bypass the system so that I can have my rev's back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Evening WildPikey, welcome to SNet

Very strange.

Are you 100% you are looking in the right place, where exactly are you looking?

Is there a speedo cable attatched to the back of the clock?

Did the previous owner say any thing re the gearbox?

There should be a number on the gearbox, it starts TY75......., if you could locate that and post it, it may be a help. Mine can be pretty clearly seen if you look into the engine bay from the passenger side.
Old 04 November 2010, 08:03 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the Welcome b13bat, Not with the car right now but previous owner said nothing about this, I am looking down behind the turbo, Even checked on my mates WRX as I thought I was going mad lol, The cable is there in the back of the clock and comes out of the bulkhead but there is nowhere to attach it, I cleaned the area up and it looks like somebody has filled it with metal putty and sanded it down? I can't think of any reason why you would do this? I have been looking around on the net and found out the The speed sensor sends 5v pulses to the ECU which I doubt I am going to be able to reproduce but what if I was to try a steady 5v signal? I am inclined to try this but do not want to destroy the ECU, Any Ideas?

Last edited by WildPikey; 04 November 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added Information
Old 04 November 2010, 08:41 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WildPikey
Thanks for the Welcome b13bat, Not with the car right now but previous owner said nothing about this, I am looking down behind the turbo, Even checked on my mates WRX as I thought I was going mad lol, The cable is there in the back of the clock and comes out of the bulkhead but there is nowhere to attach it, I cleaned the area up and it looks like somebody has filled it with metal putty and sanded it down? I can't think of any reason why you would do this? I have been looking around on the net and found out the The speed sensor sends 5v pulses to the ECU which I doubt I am going to be able to reproduce but what if I was to try a steady 5v signal? I am inclined to try this but do not want to destroy the ECU, Any Ideas?
Yeah, i think i would start questioning my own sanity in those circumstances. I've not had a great deal to do with the gearbox past the usual maintenance and cable replacement. As such, i'm not aware if the cable placement is different on later models, ie on the opposite side of the box.

You really need someone with more tech knowledge than me re the 5v feed. I would hate to advise as it would be a pure guess.

My advice would be, at this time, to be patient. There are some very knowledgable people on here and it would not surprise me to see one of them resolve your issue.

What is the mileage on the car??

I, like you at this time, am stumped.
Old 04 November 2010, 08:54 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

The car has just gone past 89k, Miles that is, I have looked all over the box to make sure it wasn't in a different place or something silly, Like I said though you can see where it should go and now it's been cleaned up you can see it's been filled with some sort of metal putty/filler? Nightmare! Thanks for your Input though