Notices

Wrong size battery but will it do?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2010, 04:26 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong size battery but will it do?

I bought a battery for my 2007 STi (Hawkeye) but didn't pay any attention to sizes. The battery turns out to be about 10 inches wide whereas the one that is fitted is about 9 inches.

I can make the battery slide into place but obviously I can't make use of the standard battery tray or sleeve.

Does anybody know if its OK to use a battery of this size. And will not using the sleeve potentially damage the new battery. I presume this is some sort of protection from heat?

There is very little clearance form the new battery and what looks like a belt cover on the engine.

Old 30 October 2010, 06:23 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so long as its the same voltage ie 12v and 160aH/ 200aH (amp hour) physically size isnt an issue ,the tray is to stop it slipping and to stop battery acid damaging paintwork to a degree if it leaks,does the battery clamp still fit ? if so no problem .

Couldn' you have bought the same kind so to assure no problems !

bosch are good battery's from halfrauds !
Old 30 October 2010, 06:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

provided the battery is secure there is no issue.
the engine can flex on the mounts during spirited driving so it might rub on that cam cover.
Old 30 October 2010, 11:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the engine moves and wears the side of the battery you will have SULPHURIC ACID leaking onto your chassis, who knows where the spray could end up if the cooling fans are going. If it is a gel battery it might not get sprayed but will linger longer causing more corrosion.
Old 31 October 2010, 11:32 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

All of my scoobies batteries have been knackered by the time they r about 3-4 yrs. I think I'm just generally hard on them. I'm hanging onto this motor for a few years and have been having trouble with the battery so I decided to splash out on this ABX AGM one...
http://performancebatteries.co.uk/fi...s#battery_info
ABX AGM AX D26L Battery
I've had enough of jump leads and chargers and disconnecting and re-connecting batteries! The site offered me this battery by way of me specifying the car so I thought it would be a direct replacement. I'm sure the power is OK. Front to rear engine movement should be OK but any lateral movement might be a problem as the cam cover only has about 1/4-1/2 in clearance.

I think I could source a new battery tray to fit. So I'll prob do that and give it a go