Notices

I need some serious advice on Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2010, 05:07 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some serious advice on Exhausts

At the moment i have a blitz nur spec r, love the sound it makes but have been told that the resonation from the exhaust isnt exactly great for performance! I have a 2005 STI and really would like to know what exhaust will give me a lovely sound and yet help performance?? Thanks guys
Old 16 October 2010, 05:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hayward and Scott, Milltek etc, what are you looking for? 2.5 or 3 inch? Sports cat or full decat?? (note that with a sports cat or decat you will require a remap)

Tony
Old 16 October 2010, 05:38 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, should have made myself much more clearer!!! I have a td05 20g turbo with a front mount intercooler! Already have ported headers and de-cat up pipe by harvey smith, and a hayward and scott de-cat down pipe! Running 360bhp atm, just was advised by bob rawl that there would be better exhaust systems for my car! And thats where the question came frome about a seriously good exhaust for sound and performance! Would rather stay to a 3" or bigger thanks
Old 16 October 2010, 05:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Doubt you would need more than 3 inches exhaust wise, too much will lose you power, too little will restrict it (though a 2.5 inch would probably still be ok for you )
I would look at adding to your hayward and scott exhaust if you already have one of their downpipes, excellent exhausts, both quality wise and performance wise

Tony
Old 16 October 2010, 05:46 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

brilliant mate thats great advice! what would you say about roger clark?? Also was thinking of firestorm by TSL Motorsport?
Old 16 October 2010, 05:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Never used the rcm exhaust, suppose to be good, TSL is one on my hit list on upgrading my standard exhaust, but chances are that I will stay with H&S, if you talk to them they can build to your spec, dont think many others do
TSL pulse system (with cat) may be worth looking at, just depends on what you want look wise? But you wont go far wrong with performance or build on the H&S

Tony
Old 17 October 2010, 09:35 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same conversation with bob when he mapped my car ,the blitz is one of the loudest ,but not the best for performance .HKS hi power supposed to be good or if opting for a haywood and scott system choose an afterburner vortex decat and backbox from scoobyworld.Made by haywood & scott and slightly better performance at higher revs.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/afterburnerrollingroad.htm
Old 17 October 2010, 10:00 AM
JazzRST
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2004Lee
Sorry mate, should have made myself much more clearer!!! I have a td05 20g turbo with a front mount intercooler! Already have ported headers and de-cat up pipe by harvey smith, and a hayward and scott de-cat down pipe! Running 360bhp atm, just was advised by bob rawl that there would be better exhaust systems for my car! And thats where the question came frome about a seriously good exhaust for sound and performance! Would rather stay to a 3" or bigger thanks
Hi mate, I'm in the same boat, I have a 03 Sti, running standard intercooler td05 20g been re-mapped by andy forrest currently running 393bhp. I have the blitz nur spec R and want to get rid of it purely because its to loud. I only want to change the rear and keep the mid and downpipes as they are. Currently all on 3"
Is the hayward & Scott silencer quieter?
Old 17 October 2010, 11:02 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JazzRST
Hi mate, I'm in the same boat, I have a 03 Sti, running standard intercooler td05 20g been re-mapped by andy forrest currently running 393bhp. I have the blitz nur spec R and want to get rid of it purely because its to loud. I only want to change the rear and keep the mid and downpipes as they are. Currently all on 3"
Is the hayward & Scott silencer quieter?
If you wanted to keep the blitz centre section you would need to mate it to this:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1375

I imagine this would be as loud as the blitz as the std afterburner is only 2.5' and not as loud as a blitz when your driving. Far better to get the straight through centre with the std afterburner as what you will lose in the bore size you will gain in the a freer flowing system imho.If you look in the right places some bargains to be had ,you could of bought this below and sold your blitz for £270+ imho,and had less drone and a slight increase in bhp.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2115972.htm

Last edited by midnight; 17 October 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 17 October 2010, 12:22 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

wondered what would the exhaust be like if you cut out the resonator and weld in a straight pipe ? would it flow alot better ?
Old 17 October 2010, 12:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is mapped with the Blitz on it should be fine. The resonator will possibly make the car rev less freely but thats not a Blitz Specific issue. The point is they are **** noisy which is reason in itself to change Your biggest issue is the 2.5" connection and a megaphone design exhaust, 2.5-3"-4.5" tail. Get a proper turbo back 3" system or get a de res 2.5" cat back. The 2.5" cat back will feel better than the Blitz or any megaphone type exhaust IMHO. Swapping out the Blitz for the latter will make the car feel torquier FWIW.
Old 17 October 2010, 07:13 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

go for the afterburner vortex r mate and fit it to ya blitz downpipe and center,wont be as loud as the nur spec and will perform better.i`ve had three systems on mine in the last six months,cobra 3",vortex 3",and currently a nur spec r 3" with the 2.5 parts removed and the massive resonator removed.The sound is incredible but it doesnt perform no where near as good as the afterburner,which is the best of the bunch imho.
Old 17 October 2010, 07:33 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

i had a straight through unresonated 2.5 hayward and scott system.... then swapped just the back box alone to a blitz nur spec.......goes up to a 3 inch. so no cats no res and the blitz back box.....

always wondered would i have been better off getting the 3 inch blitz middle section too with the resonator in it? to be honest though, when i changed up to the blitz back box the only difference noticed was noise. lots and lots of noise. performance wise i didnt feel anything... but then as i said it was purely the back box
Old 18 October 2010, 12:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The 2.5" exhaust, if it is efficient is good to over 400 bhp.
Some of the noisey exhausts appear to be some of the lesser performers.
It is not advisable to fit a bit from here and a bit from there. You need a joined up system. If starting from scratch I would use a 3" open neck downpipe coupled to Revolutions own exhaust system.
Old 18 October 2010, 01:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
The 2.5" exhaust, if it is efficient is good to over 400 bhp.
Some of the noisey exhausts appear to be some of the lesser performers.
It is not advisable to fit a bit from here and a bit from there. You need a joined up system. If starting from scratch I would use a 3" open neck downpipe coupled to Revolutions own exhaust system.
+1 open 3" on mine but even with a reducer centre the 'quiet' 2.5" H&S ScoobySport I still put out 104.8db at Snetterton. Revolution seems to be the quiet exhaust of choice, my buddy has one fitted to a modded Hawkeye and he has no trackday/noise issues