Notices

best induction kit for turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2010, 10:30 PM
dan harvey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best induction kit for turbo 2000

hi all i have a uk impreza turbo 2000 which has the prodrive proformance pack was wanting to know what is the best induction kit for me

pipercross viper?

bmc?

k'n'N?

cheers dan
Old 15 October 2010, 10:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan harvey
hi all i have a uk impreza turbo 2000 which has the prodrive proformance pack was wanting to know what is the best induction kit for me

pipercross viper?

bmc?

k'n'N?

cheers dan

Hi Dan induction kit for you is waste of money.Buy some good panel filter aka Green Cotton Panel filter or K&N.
Induction kit is really for your power which you are now running is waste of money and may kill your MAF(which is not really cheap and may your car run lean and kill your engine),don't bother with induction if you don't running more than 350BHP and if you don't have FMIC(front mount intercooler)
Many people will explain much better than me

Jura
Old 15 October 2010, 11:08 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

pipercross viper?

bmc?

k'n'N?

cheers dan
The one that Subaru and Prodrive spent £££££££££££'s on developing.
Old 17 October 2010, 01:29 PM
dan harvey
Scooby Newbie

i have full straight through exhaust turbo back and will be getting a front mount intercooler.

i have heard that direct cold air feed induction kits help dramatically is this the case?

i will be doing much more to the car as fast as my wallet lets me

many thanks dan
Old 17 October 2010, 01:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

i have full straight through exhaust turbo back and will be getting a front mount intercooler.

i have heard that direct cold air feed induction kits help dramatically is this the case?

many thanks dan

Hi Dan if you are going for FMIC(front mount intercooler) best induction kit for will be K&N or RCM Cone Filter (RCM use K&N cone filter).
For CAIK go for APS,Injen,AEM and K&N also are good Hyperflow,but possible go for HDI FMIC,where is included CAIK(cold air induction kit),these selling Harvey here,please avoid FMIC form eBay
But for these you will need remap.

Last edited by jura11; 17 October 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 17 October 2010, 02:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

many thanks dan
Hmmmm what a good way to blow your engine up

Tony
Old 17 October 2010, 07:08 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm. Enthusiasm is all well and good, but you need to do a bit of reading before you get your wallet out. The way you're going, you're more likely to break your car than make it faster.

As things stand, as long as you are sticking with the standard turbocharger and Prodrive Performance Pack ECU, you neither need nor want a front mount intercooler. You neither need nor want an induction kit either.

Yeah, they help blow your engine up, sometimes dramatically, unless both carefully chosen/installed, and the ECU recalibrated to deal with any changes to mass airflow/voltage scaling. Other than that, as long as you are, as above, on the standard turbo/ECU, they make naff all difference as the standard bits are more than good enough already.

As above it would be well worth your while chilling out a bit and learning about your car before your eagerness to spend money causes you a big unexpected engine repair bill (or an accident).

As things stand, the combination of PPP and straight through exhaust may well already mean that the engine is suffering boost spiking/instability. The first things you should be spending money on are a good quality boost gauge and a knock detection system if you don't already have them. From there you need to determine (and if necessary, establish) boost stability before doing anything else. Oh, and don't forget to have a good read/search of the forum. Many have already been down this road so you'll get a lot of good experience quickly via a bit of browsing.

If you want more specific help here it'd also help to know what model year your car is too, as the different era engines/ECUs have different quirks/strongpoints/weak spots.

Last edited by Splitpin; 17 October 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 18 October 2010, 01:33 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

As Jura said originally, if you are running a PPP, even with a decat exhaust you can stay with the O/E airbox on a Classic to around 350 bhp. If money is burning a hole in your pocket a K+N pannel filter may make you feel good but it will make little or no performance difference. The advantage is you can clean the filter every 5,000 miles as the O/E is disposable.
As Tony and Splitpin said, you need to think out your modification route as it all needs to be joined up to work properly. There are quite a few things to do before an efficient TMIC comes to the top of your list and you cannot fit an FMIC without a remap. Cars 93-98 will need an aftermarket ECU and cars 99-00 can run Ecutek.(or aftermarket depending what you want to achieve)
93-96 cars will need an FMIC before a 97-00 car but there will be no wothwhile gains on the later Classics until you are getting close to 320 bhp.
P.S. I sell FMICs so if I discourage you from an FMIC at this stage there is a good reason.

Any signifigant change to the induction system will necesitate a remap. Get all the mods done up to that point and go for one remap.

Last edited by harvey; 18 October 2010 at 01:36 PM.