Notices

Vent in place of scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2010, 02:10 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent in place of scoop?

Will rain damage the car at all either short or long term? I've no need for the scoop any more as have FMIC.

Cheers, TX.
Old 19 September 2010, 02:54 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Will rain damage the car at all either short or long term? I've no need for the scoop any more as have FMIC.

Cheers, TX.
I have had a vent fitted now for about 2 years and so far suffered zero issues.

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 03:20 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But what if you live in the Highlands where it rains nearly every day ?
Where its heavy pishing down rain.

Ive been tempted to fit one of these vents, but worried about the rain getting into the engine bay.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 19 September 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 03:53 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

It pishes down rain pretty hard down in England too, I am originally from the wet and windy Isle of Skye so I feel safe making a judgement call on the weather

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 05:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Big 'D'
I have had a vent fitted now for about 2 years and so far suffered zero issues. AS FAR AS I KNOW

Cheers Iain
EFA
Old 19 September 2010, 05:18 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
EFA
Believe me I would know if it had caused any issues.

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 07:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Believe me I would know if it had caused any issues.

Cheers Iain
Ah..........so you HAVE got temperature gauges on the turbo inlet , under the bonnet, etc?

No? Then you CAN NOT be certain
Old 19 September 2010, 07:25 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Ah..........so you HAVE got temperature gauges on the turbo inlet , under the bonnet, etc?

No? Then you CAN NOT be certain
How do you know what is going on under my bonnet? I am certain

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 08:14 PM
no_more_oil
Scooby Regular

would seem like a good place for an extra oil cooler to me! ;-)
Old 19 September 2010, 09:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How do you know what is going on under my bonnet? I am certain

Cheers Iain
Nope, you are guessing.
I'm certain what's going on under MY bonnet because it's ALL monitored. You are just hoping for the best. Good luck.
Old 19 September 2010, 09:40 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Nope, you are guessing.
I'm certain what's going on under MY bonnet because it's ALL monitored. You are just hoping for the best. Good luck.
And how the hell do you know what I am doing or hoping for, slightly odd I think as I have no idea who you are.

The question was will rain/weather be an issue if fitting a vent instead of a scoop with a FMIC fitted?

I stand by my current answer.

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 09:43 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Nope, you are guessing.
Is that why subaru didn't fit your gauges at the factory,just thought they'd hope for the best lol grow up fella
Old 19 September 2010, 09:47 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Is that why subaru didn't fit your gauges at the factory,just thought they'd hope for the best lol grow up fella
+1 Well said

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 09:51 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

+1 Well said

Cheers Iain
no worries you seem a genuine nice bloke who knows his stuff Ian
Old 19 September 2010, 10:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Now you are both being silly.
BigD, whoever YOU are, I've seen you on SIDC, you don't like to be brought to task do you? BigD says so, so it must be true You got three letters missing from your username, guy?

YOU were the one who said YOU were certain what was going on under your bonnet, a slightly silly statement if you have nothing CHECKING it for you. At best, you are HOPING all is OK. At worst, you are naive.

pdr: Subaru didn't fit any gauges because the engines were standard, as were the scoops, intercoolers etc etc.. Duh.

LOL at both of you. Grow up yourself.
Old 19 September 2010, 10:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

BigD, whoever YOU are, I've seen you on SIDC, you don't like to be brought to task do you? BigD says so, so it must be true You got three letters missing from your username, guy?

YOU were the one who said YOU were certain what was going on under your bonnet, a slightly silly statement if you have nothing CHECKING it for you. At best, you are HOPING all is OK. At worst, you are naive.

pdr: Subaru didn't fit any gauges because the engines were standard, as were the scoops, intercoolers etc etc.. Duh.

Old 19 September 2010, 10:10 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

unless your running big power it is complete waste of money to be buying the gauges you have mentioned mate,and by big i talking 500 plus so seriously stop wasting my time DUH.
Old 19 September 2010, 10:10 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

What an idiot you look right now.

Of all my posting in SIDC I would say that all of it has been to help others. I think you will find that other members were more likely to have jumped in where people like you have made foolish and childish comments.

Cheers Iain
Old 20 September 2010, 11:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Tchoh! To both of you.

PDR: got my temperture monitors after being advised so to do by one who knows, and after my previous engine suffered heatsoak and detted itself to death, running 300bhp. Since I'm now over 400 bhp, thought I'd take some sensible advice. Duh!

BigD: Well, one of us does I have to say I LOVE your style: give out advice based on your own experience with no research or owt to back it up

A few months after I bought my car, I had to put some 95 octane in it. I got away with it, with no damage, and no problems.........as far as I KNEW. (I didn't det itself to death until 11 years later, so I assume it was not connected? )
Does that mean I should now advise others so to do? I think not, but you are doing similar. Advising others on what you think, what you believe.

And you have the gall to call me an idiot? Arrogant, or what? As I said: three letters missing from your username. Can you guess what they are?
Old 20 September 2010, 11:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Tchoh! To both of you.

PDR: got my temperture monitors after being advised so to do by one who knows, and after my previous engine suffered heatsoak and detted itself to death, running 300bhp. Since I'm now over 400 bhp, thought I'd take some sensible advice. Duh!

BigD: Well, one of us does I have to say I LOVE your style: give out advice based on your own experience with no research or owt to back it up

A few months after I bought my car, I had to put some 95 octane in it. I got away with it, with no damage, and no problems.........as far as I KNEW. (I didn't det itself to death until 11 years later, so I assume it was not connected? )
Does that mean I should now advise others so to do? I think not, but you are doing similar. Advising others on what you think, what you believe.

And you have the gall to call me an idiot? Arrogant, or what? As I said: three letters missing from your username. Can you guess what they are?
Old 20 September 2010, 11:31 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Tchoh! To both of you.

Well where do I start.

You are the one throwing childish names around like Big D*** lol, being the reason I called you childish.

You have not posted in reply to this post at all you have only directed your replies directly at me (pointless and unhelpful).

You have not in any way answered the origional post of will the rain/weather have any effect when fitting a vent instead of a scoop?

You also have no idea what I have or have not researched or what I have done to back up my advice so wind your childish neck in

Cheers Iain
Old 20 September 2010, 11:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL, you seem to have as much time to waste as me, on here, perhaps even more, since I rarely post on SIDC?
Anyway, I think you got the wrong letters mate

And surely BigD*** would be a compliment?

As for reserch, if you HAD any, you would have said, not just, "I am certain"
Old 20 September 2010, 11:45 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

I am standing by my answer.

Perhaps you could give reason to your side instead of saying how you have silly names to call me, how many gauges you have fitted to your car and how unresearched my findings are.

Not got alot of time to kill, I am on nights. So I am using my time off to catch up on all the research that I need to do to keep you happy

Cheers Iain
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Running 523bhp on my standard sti 8 bottom end with a syvecs ecu to monitor charge temps and using a vent, and in my experience it has been fine and is certainly better at high speed as the bonnet does not flap about.

Banny
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Double post

Last edited by banny sti; 20 September 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 20 September 2010, 11:47 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Running 523bhp on my standard sti 8 bottom end with a syvecs ecu to monitor charge temps and using a vent, and in my experience it has been fine and is certainly better at high speed as the bonnet does not flap about.

Banny
+1

See its not just me, I suppose Banny needs to do some research too now though

Cheers Iain
Old 20 September 2010, 12:03 PM
gammi0025
Scooby Regular

thought this was supposed to be a grown up Impreza driver's forum not a childish forum full of squabbling women. It's like the internet version of a Jeremy ****ing kyle show grow up for **** sake...
Here's a bit of advice got nothing helpful or polite to say then shut the **** up. and keep negative comments to yourselves.

Last edited by gammi0025; 20 September 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: I can't spell lol
Old 20 September 2010, 12:09 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gammi0025
thought this was supposed to be a grown up Impreza driver's forum not a childish forum full of squabbling women. It's like the internet version of a Jeremy ****ing kyle show grow up for **** sake...
Here's a bit of advice got nothing helpful or polite to say then shut the **** up. and keep negative comments to yourselves.
I could not agree more

Cheers Iain
Old 20 September 2010, 01:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Alcazar - can you answer the original post pls just looking for some confidence that rain p*ssing in won't damage stuff under the bonnet ...

Cheers, TX.
Old 20 September 2010, 02:03 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

TX ite been chucking it down round my neck of the woods and thecar still starts first time everytime, no ill effects at all.

Banny

Quick Reply: Vent in place of scoop?