Notices

Uprated Organic Clutch - What Price and Where From?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2010, 05:00 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated Organic Clutch - What Price and Where From?

Very shortly (well within 2 months) I plan on changing the clutch assembly on my MY04 Spec C, it will very shortly be mapped to around 370bhp / 390 lbs ft of torque with a few choice modifications.

I don't want a paddle clutch as they are not very good for everyday driving, so my choice is an uprated 'conventional' clutch; which clutch kit is most like the OE in terms of everyday use plus can also cope with the hike in the power?

Which clutch kit would you recommend and who are the best suppliers in terms of price and service?
Old 01 September 2010, 05:48 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to David @ API Tyrone.
Old 01 September 2010, 07:07 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

again speak to api david he does a uprated exceedy cluth which is good for up to 400bhp 400ft and ive been running it in mine and it fine and that a five speed version im sure the six speed version will be even tougher as it that much bigger mine wa sabout 350.00 other then that you talking 550.00 for a ap or a helix cluth, oh and david is man of his word as i have found out which in my books goes a long long way
Old 01 September 2010, 08:54 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

i'll have to object to the above statements. I had a major issue with API's friction plate which left me completely out of pocket.

If your car is not going to be launched then i would go with the exedy uprated organic kit. I am running similar power to you on my 03 Spec C an i have the 'standard' exedy kit which is fine for track us and a complete and utter pleasure on the road, infact its so much more gentle and easy to use in comparison to the uprated kit. PI's kit although fin for veryday use is still very jerky in trffic and take-off.

Last edited by apac; 01 September 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01 September 2010, 09:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Exedy Uprated Organic all the way.

The best thing to do is fit a 230mm package, that way you get an anti-judder clutch kit and a proper lightweight forged flywheel as a direct bolt on.

Exedy Anti-Judder Uprated Clutch Kit + Lightweight Forged Flywheel Package just £499.99

Any questions, just PM or call 01462 488244
Old 01 September 2010, 09:33 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The best thing to do is fit a 230mm package, that way you get an anti-judder clutch kit and a proper lightweight forged flywheel as a direct bolt on.

Exedy Anti-Judder Uprated Clutch Kit + Lightweight Forged Flywheel Package just £499.99

Old 02 September 2010, 10:21 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apac had a faulty 240mm one, that is agreed, no question. BUT, we only fitted a friction disc to a clutch he supplied. I suspect there may have been a compatabilty problem.

Unfortunately, apac was some way from home when the problem occurred and had a different clutch fitted long before we got to hear about the problem.

He has been reimbursed for the bit we supplied that failed and we reacted properly and promptly once we knew of the problem.

Had we been given the opportunity to deal with it, Apac may well have been happier. No matter what, APi would only be responsible for warranty on parts supplied and fitted and then obviously subject to the terms and conditions of our warranty.

Like any warranty we seek to be informed as soon as possible about a problem. No company in the world will react favourably, under warranty , to the statement; " I had a problem with your parts, but it's all fixed now, here's the bill."

Overnight hotel bills would never be covered.

Right now I have only 240mm 6 speed versions available as the friction material for the 230 mm 5 speed API uprated one has been out of stock since early summer. We are working with the company that re-manufactures the friction discs for us to try and resolve the problem quickly.

David APi
Old 02 September 2010, 01:21 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Speak to David @ API Tyrone.
Cheers Boyd.

Originally Posted by happydude303
again speak to api david he does a uprated exceedy cluth which is good for up to 400bhp 400ft and ive been running it in mine and it fine and that a five speed version im sure the six speed version will be even tougher as it that much bigger mine wa sabout 350.00 other then that you talking 550.00 for a ap or a helix cluth, oh and david is man of his word as i have found out which in my books goes a long long way
Originally Posted by APIDavid
Right now I have only 240mm 6 speed versions available as the friction material for the 230 mm 5 speed API uprated one has been out of stock since early summer. We are working with the company that re-manufactures the friction discs for us to try and resolve the problem quickly.

David APi
David, how much bhp / torque is your uprated clutch capable of handling? As at some point in the new year I might invest in a Litchfield twin scroll turbo.

When you say 'remanufacture' do you mean that you recondition used clutch discs or that you renew the lining material on a new clutch disc?
Old 02 September 2010, 01:24 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5

I am a little confused Bob, the standard clutch is I believe 240mm so why do you sell a 230mm kit? I understand that the clutch will bolt directly to your flywheel and can be fitted as 'one', but why no 240mm kit and what is the rating of the 230mm package?
Old 02 September 2010, 01:33 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Exedy make a 230mm uprated organic clutch that doesn't judder, unfortunately they haven't done this with the 240mm version (yet).

Also, by moving to a 230mm setup you will have more flexibility in terms of flywheel weight as the design of the 240mm will always be heavier.

Plenty of our customers have the 230mm package fitted to 6 speeds and with great feedback.

So for just £499 you have a genuine uprated Exedy Clutch Kit (not re-manufactured) and a lightweight aftermarket forged flywheel. Car will rev better, acceleration will be improved, no judder and clutch will be like OEM to drive.
Old 02 September 2010, 06:03 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Apac had a faulty 240mm one, that is agreed, no question. BUT, we only fitted a friction disc to a clutch he supplied. I suspect there may have been a compatabilty problem.

Unfortunately, apac was some way from home when the problem occurred and had a different clutch fitted long before we got to hear about the problem.

He has been reimbursed for the bit we supplied that failed and we reacted properly and promptly once we knew of the problem.

Had we been given the opportunity to deal with it, Apac may well have been happier. No matter what, APi would only be responsible for warranty on parts supplied and fitted and then obviously subject to the terms and conditions of our warranty.

Like any warranty we seek to be informed as soon as possible about a problem. No company in the world will react favourably, under warranty , to the statement; " I had a problem with your parts, but it's all fixed now, here's the bill."

David APi
Hi David
Thanks for finally admitting that the friction plate was faulty, which you would not do over the phone to me.

It's correct that you did only supply the friction plate, but you did advise me before hand that it was completely compatible with the Exedy uprated Clutch cover which was also brand new along with the release bearing which API was happy to fit , and did.

I do understand that as far as warranty is concerned you can only cover the part that came from you -which was the part that failed.

I was 5 hours from home when the clutch failed which left me in a dilema of what to do. In hindsight i should have contacted you, but i was more concerned about getting my car to a safe place and getting it back on the road. Not only that, i had to get the car inspected to see what the problem was. I was not sure myself what had failed. It was only after having the gearbox removed that the problem was found.

I resent the comments above in quotation marks which come across as being from me. I expressed my disappointment over the phone towards the duff modified exedy(API)friction plate you sold me, and did make you aware of the price and inconvenience it had cost me. Until now i have refrained from making a big issue of this episode so please do not make comments like...

" I had a problem with your parts, but it's all fixed now, here's the bill."

...... as these are offensive to me.

The API 'Heavy Duty' clutch kit only differs by the friction plate. The friction material from what David told me is put on in the UK, and it's put onto an Exedy sprung plate.

I personally feel from inspecting the broken plate (which incidentally had only been on the car for 2 months/1000 miles) that the rivets holding on the friction material was either riveted too tightly or too loosely which caused the friction material to sheer apart in such dramatic fashion, which even David said he had not seen happen on a friction plate before.

Lastly i'd like to add that API was very quick replacing the API plate although there had been little conversation at that point, and i did not need a replacement as a new kit was already on my car. I have since returned the replacement plate and await a full refund for the part which i believe is in the post.

I have photos of the shattered plate if any one is interested.

Andrew
Old 02 September 2010, 06:30 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

well all i can say is i had a similar problem i phoned david at api he sent me the clucth plate and also help out in a big way with the bill top guy and its been fine since and done 3000 miles i think when it comes down to it there was a coulpe of bad ones which could happen to any one and i will use api again for sure because of how k he sorted my problem out, the fact i left it with him and triton to sort out which left me time to get on with my life and have no head ache knowing they were sorting it out top service i guess were unlucky as my names andy as well
Old 03 September 2010, 09:26 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, So we stop selling clutches to anyone called Andy............
Old 03 September 2010, 10:11 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Exedy make a 230mm uprated organic clutch that doesn't judder, unfortunately they haven't done this with the 240mm version (yet).
Doesn't the OEM (made by Exedy) 2.5 240mm clutch disk count as being "uprated"

They hold together at least up to 400 hp if not beyond that and they don't judder.
OEM 2.5 cover, disk plus an Exedy release bearing is IRO £260.