Notices

FAO those using Methanol - Safety Advice Please..

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2010, 12:48 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO those using Methanol - Safety Advice Please..

Ok thinking about a 10% methanol mix at the next mapping session but everything i read about this stuff , says its very dangerous.

So probably noob questions.. but how do you clean a methanol spill up when trying to transfer it from the 25 litre container jennychems sends you to the 5 litre petrol can?

heard you should'nt inhale it either or touch it as smalll quantities can be dangerous ..

so how would you wash the funnel and bits that you use? gauntlet gloves and explosafe jerry can i assume are standard?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 25 August 2010, 01:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

yep v dangerous 5ml injested = multiple organ failure within 24 - 48hrs.

however if used carefully it should be fine. vented room, use gloves, invest in a hand fuel pump. very corrosive to fuel lines when used as dirct injection but as a 10% mix it should be ok. enjoy the extra bang for your buck. i am still using the 50 gallon drum i bought 3 years ago ( then again my car has been off the road for 3 years )
Old 25 August 2010, 01:11 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

We are making very powerful fuels and most of the ingredients are HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. For this reason all these materials should be stored in a cool dry place, well away from the house. Only buy enough of the really dangerous materials such as Ether, Nitro & Methanol to last about a month and store in good solid airtight containers, off the floor in a cool DRY location, well away from children and pets. Always mix in a well ventilated area, out in the open on a dry day, wear a mask, gloves and goggles and keep well away from sources of ignition. Avoid fumes and ingestion. Methanol in quite small doses can cause blindness and death if ingested and Amyl Nitrate can also be LETHAL. Avoid metal tools and containers that may cause sparks etc. Methanol readily absorbs water so airtight storage is very important. Please read the Safety Documents (COSHH) in Appendix II. Make sure all containers are scrupulously clean before use. Clean all tools and containers thoroughly after use as oil attracts dirt and dust like a magnet. It is a good idea to store all measuring instruments & containers etc. in a sealed plastic bag.

3. Hazards Identification
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW

Warning! Flammable liquid. May cause skin irritation. May cause central nervous system depression. May be absorbed through the skin. May cause kidney damage. May cause respiratory and digestive tract irritation. May be fatal or cause blindness if swallowed. May cause fetal effects. Causes severe eye irritation and possible injury. Target Organs: Kidneys, central nervous system, eyes.

Potential Health Effects

Eye:
Produces irritation, characterized by a burning sensation, redness, tearing, inflammation, and possible corneal injury. Vapors may cause eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light.

Skin:
May cause skin irritation.

Ingestion:
May be fatal or cause blindness if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause kidney damage. May cause systemic
toxicity with acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness,
drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure.

Inhalation:
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause visual impairment and possible permanent blindness. May cause effects similar to those
described for ingestion.

Chronic:
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute
inhalation and ingestion.

6. Accidental Release Measures
General Information: Use proper personal protective equipment as indicated in Section 8.

Spills/Leaks:
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Water spray may reduce vapor but may not prevent ignition in closed spaces.

7. Handling and Storage
Handling:
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.

Storage:
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.

Personal Protective Equipment

Eyes:
Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166.
Skin:
Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure.
Clothing:
Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Respirators:
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:47 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
yep v dangerous 5ml injested = multiple organ failure within 24 - 48hrs.

however if used carefully it should be fine. vented room, use gloves, invest in a hand fuel pump. very corrosive to fuel lines when used as dirct injection but as a 10% mix it should be ok. enjoy the extra bang for your buck. i am still using the 50 gallon drum i bought 3 years ago ( then again my car has been off the road for 3 years )
i only plan on purchasing 25 litres at a time.. so i guess storing it in the celler of the house is a bad idea?

i'll buy some proper gloves and stick a funnel in the petrol can. i think the hard bit will be getting it from the 25 litre container into the petrol can. any links to a hand pump?

cheers
Old 25 August 2010, 01:48 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

bloodyn hell the article scares you, i guess ill need a mask aswel

what i really need is to find someone local who can give me it in 5 litres at a time.. and just pour it straight into the car with no need to store it..

just stick a spare 5 litres in the boot.

Last edited by eggy790; 25 August 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 02:00 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eggy790

i'll buy some proper gloves and stick a funnel in the petrol can. i think the hard bit will be getting it from the 25 litre container into the petrol can. any links to a hand pump?

cheers
Buy a tap - it makes it easy to pour.

Have a read of this thread https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-methanol.html
Old 25 August 2010, 02:02 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

that sounds like a good call, going to pop into the local model shop and see if they sell it in 5 litre bottles first. might be easier, otherwise it'll have to be a drum with a tap.
Old 25 August 2010, 02:07 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

I linked you to the wrong thread

Read this:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...l-options.html

and buy something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBC-TAP-REDUCE...item3a4ed4f03c

Last edited by StuS; 25 August 2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: grammar...
Old 25 August 2010, 02:11 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what i use to carry mine in when i used it, i put marks on the side every 1L.

it is clear so you can see how much you are putting into the car as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIHL-Transpar...nPowerTools_CA

then i used one of these taps to get it from the 25L into the 1L

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLASTIC-AIR-FL...efaultDomain_3

doing it this way made it nice and easy, and safer than using a funnel.

hope it helps
Old 25 August 2010, 02:24 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOne
this is what i use to carry mine in when i used it, i put marks on the side every 1L.

it is clear so you can see how much you are putting into the car as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIHL-Transpar...nPowerTools_CA

then i used one of these taps to get it from the 25L into the 1L

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLASTIC-AIR-FL...efaultDomain_3

doing it this way made it nice and easy, and safer than using a funnel.

hope it helps
That looks a neat solution Ian, now get some meth going through that S206 and wind it up .
Old 25 August 2010, 02:55 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
That looks a neat solution Ian, now get some meth going through that S206 and wind it up .

should be having another feature shoot soon,

fancy lending me a 6 speed nug nug, wink wink
Old 25 August 2010, 03:03 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Jeez, just use a filler to top up your 5ltr tanks from your 25ltr tanks, do it out side what you spill which isnt much wash it away with a hose. personally I dont see the need for gloves, masks etc etc.
Old 25 August 2010, 03:04 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
Amyl Nitrate can also be LETHAL.
When i was a lad it came in little bottles and was known as poppers. Still available today i believe for recreational use. Not to be sniffed if you have a weak heart and high blood pressure
Old 25 August 2010, 04:21 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Eddy,

Just use your brain when adding it to a 5ltr can from the 25ltr drum mate.

I use a draper hand pump.

If you have never felt Methonal even in a can it is COLD. I always wear gloves (double up if you have very dry,cracked skin) , Wear a mask if you want to. I did to start with but no longer do so.

When I spilt some meth during transfer stage I simply didn't go in the area for a day as the meth will evaporate etc.

Wear all the protection in the world. Double up on the gloves. Put a small amount of meth in a USED Fabreeze bootle with some water in it. Spray your hand. FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZING cold.

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 25 August 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 04:49 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

cheers guys

i'll get the 25 litre and leave it in the celler.

the tap is a good shout, i'll defo buy one of those. should make it easier.
Old 25 August 2010, 05:38 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Tap works well. Got a pump too, but never used it.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:27 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOne
should be having another feature shoot soon,

fancy lending me a 6 speed nug nug, wink wink
Cool, who for ?

Love to, but if I had one spare it would have been fitted to mine by now, lol.