Notices

Daft Question about Intercooler Sprays

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2010, 07:22 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daft Question about Intercooler Sprays

Would there be a problem spraying screenwash over my intercooler!? Is it corrosive or nasty in any way?

Cheers
Old 19 August 2010, 07:34 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Why do it in the first place? No idea though, spray it with water.
Old 19 August 2010, 08:05 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

think some 1 is thinking of tapping into their screen wash pipe for an i/c spray am i right?
Old 19 August 2010, 08:07 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

I had an idea to redirect the A/C feed to the intercooler. A/C treated air!
Old 19 August 2010, 08:09 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought about this a while ago, on the uk ones have headlamp squirters that operate via button but comes from the screenwash bottle.

re routing the pipes from the headlight squirters could make and easy intercooler spray.
Old 19 August 2010, 08:09 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

i thought about this a while ago, on the uk ones have headlamp squirters that operate via button but comes from the screenwash bottle.

re routing the pipes from the headlight squirters could make and easy intercooler spray.
Old 19 August 2010, 08:11 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's a good idea, but i can't understand a I/C spray because you'll have to keep hitting the button!
Old 19 August 2010, 08:28 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

On the cars that had it as standard it had an automatic function.

To the OP i only use deionised water in mine.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 19 August 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 19 August 2010, 08:49 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

get a tank in the boot with one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-OUTLET-WI...es_CarParts_SM
wire it up to a microswitch to make the pump operate on full throttle. add some washer tubing, non return valve and washer jets mounted on brackets.

that will save you mucking about with switches on the dash etc. can be done cheap as hell.
Old 19 August 2010, 08:54 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

my sti 04 has it standard and its not automatic on the uk model you have to keep pressing the button and it makes no difference whatsoever anyway
Old 19 August 2010, 09:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM STI's have the auto function, UK STI's dont.
On the JDM's its controlled by the ecu which looks at several values, temp, revs etc, just pressing a button doesnt really do any good if its not needed.
On a classic, your best mod is to get something to focus the air better onto the intercooler, was all the rage back in 2000

Tony
Old 19 August 2010, 09:01 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
On the cars that had it as standard it had an automatic function.

To the OP i only use deionised water in mine.
Thought so, i think there are all sorts of chemicals in screenwash that might cause problems to all of the things under the bonnet!?

It is only to help with cooling in traffic as much as anything. Would like the Auto function but not that bothered

Originally Posted by Saalro
I had an idea to redirect the A/C feed to the intercooler. A/C treated air!
Thought long and hard about that, seriously. The A/C draws a few bhp from the flywheel but the bonus of chucking all that freezing cold air into the cylinders must be huge.

The only thing that stops me is that no-one else has tried it meaning that it is probably not a goer!? Plus having the A/C on all the while is probably a bit of a trauma for the system to live with.

I can get hold of the nozzles and pipes for a decent price but i was hoping just to tap into the screenwash bottle rather than run a pipe to the boot, but i think that it is the only workable option.

Thanks for your responses!

Mark
Old 19 August 2010, 09:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont have any issues with screenwash on the intercooler, I put it in my 12 ltr water tank to stop the water going off

Tony
Old 19 August 2010, 09:04 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
On a classic, your best mod is to get something to focus the air better onto the intercooler, was all the rage back in 2000

Tony
Like what Tony?
Old 19 August 2010, 11:08 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chtpcpo
Like what Tony?
Tilting the IC (which Subaru liked so much they did it on the Bugeye), splitters (which Subaru liked so much they did it on the Blob).

As above waterspray is very limited in what it can do, and there's very little point if all you are going to do is link it to a button, or repurpose the headlamp wash one. Even if you have a charge temp gauge you will never be able to guess the right time to press the button - and keep it held.

Automatic spray strategy on the JDM cars uses road speed, throttle position, inlet air temp and manifold absolute pressure as control inputs. It doesn't work at all, for example, below (IIRC) 60km/h.

Incidentally that idea of using the aircon to cool the inlet air sounds great until you realise that the heat extraction capacity of a typical aircon system is a fraction of what you need to cool inlet charge.
Old 19 August 2010, 11:14 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Incidentally that idea of using the aircon to cool the inlet air sounds great until you realise that the heat extraction capacity of a typical aircon system is a fraction of what you need to cool inlet charge.
Just discussed that with my father-in-law, 2litre engine at 4000rpm = 8000 litres of air a minute - could be a tall order for any aircon compressor! Will make my own splitter and look into this tilting malarkey

Thanks splitpin Do you design Subarus perchance!!??
Old 19 August 2010, 11:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Are you accusing me of designing the Bugeye and hatch?

If so, that's an insult...
Old 19 August 2010, 11:18 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

That wasnt your first answer now was it!? Clealy a blind man designed them, i was merely complimenting your knowledge on such matters!
Old 19 August 2010, 11:45 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

wot and the blobeye is a looker ! even the classics are well dated,talk about subaru snobery,no one ever talks about the new minis (bmw one )as ugly because of its lights,which are simillar to the bug eye,seems everyone jumps on that bandwagon.im glad mines a bugeye,better than the endless amount of classics and loads and loads of blobs,end of rant lol.
Old 19 August 2010, 11:49 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Dated? DATED? Yeah. alright it looks bout 20 years old now but i love her! Bueyes are just fine....... as long as you change the lights ;-)
Old 19 August 2010, 11:52 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

classics are fine-untill you want to stop lol
Old 19 August 2010, 11:56 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Even the 4 pots aren't that great! I keep nearly putting myself through the windscreen when i get back into the beemer!
Old 19 August 2010, 11:59 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by carl heath
...im glad mines a bugeye,better than the endless amount of classics and loads and loads of blobs,end of rant lol.
Er.... doesn't that tell you something?

Only kidding.

Last edited by joz8968; 20 August 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 20 August 2010, 12:06 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
classics are fine-untill you want to stop lol
Stopping a classic is always going to be easier than stopping a bugeye, given the best part of 200kg weight difference.

Driving a bugeye is like driving a classic with two fat women in the back. I'm not sure I'd want to be seen with two fat women in my back seat.

As for the 294mm four pots Chtpcpo, you can make them quite good with appropriate pad, disc and fluid choice, and that's before even thinking about the big brake conversions.
Old 20 August 2010, 12:50 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

we can add or take away all sorts to and from our cars,my new age sti brakes far better than any of my two other classics i had,and that was new discs pads and so on,as standard compare the two and my moneys with the so called lard **** !the classics brakes as standard,are ok till you you do a few hard braking islands or whatever,also newage has a more rigid shell so extra weight can be helpfull,you pay your money and take your choice.i like the fact that mine is rarer too.
Old 20 August 2010, 08:38 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

i love my bug think they look great
Old 20 August 2010, 09:14 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't bother with the I/C spray.
Anyone ever checked the effect it has with a charge temp gauge? I have and seen nothing to shout about. Plus the fact that water will only 'bead' on a bare metal surface due to surface tension and therefore not have any great surface contact to absorb heat. Just watch what happens when you use the water spray with the car stationary. You get a puddle under the engine because the water runs off the I/C, and when the car is moving the water actually gets blown through the I/C.
The other thing with the manually operated spray systems is that you have to find the button to operate it just at the time you're likely to need your all attention on the road.
If you've got a spray system fitted as standard then fine, but I wouldn't go to the bother of fitting one.
I know we're going to have all the arguments about Subaru knowing what they're doing and they are better car designers than I am. I'm only saying what I've seen.
Just my opinion.
Old 20 August 2010, 10:02 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chtpcpo
Would there be a problem spraying screenwash over my intercooler!? Is it corrosive or nasty in any way?

Cheers
On Evo 4, 5 and 6's at least have it coming directly from your screenwash so I don't think there is much of a problem
Old 20 August 2010, 10:15 AM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Personally I wouldn't bother with the I/C spray.
Anyone ever checked the effect it has with a charge temp gauge? I have and seen nothing to shout about. Plus the fact that water will only 'bead' on a bare metal surface due to surface tension and therefore not have any great surface contact to absorb heat. Just watch what happens when you use the water spray with the car stationary. You get a puddle under the engine because the water runs off the I/C, and when the car is moving the water actually gets blown through the I/C.
The other thing with the manually operated spray systems is that you have to find the button to operate it just at the time you're likely to need your all attention on the road.
If you've got a spray system fitted as standard then fine, but I wouldn't go to the bother of fitting one.
I know we're going to have all the arguments about Subaru knowing what they're doing and they are better car designers than I am. I'm only saying what I've seen.
Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by andy.downes
On Evo 4, 5 and 6's at least have it coming directly from your screenwash so I don't think there is much of a problem
Both useful bits of info, thanks. I shall consider whether to bother or not.
Old 20 August 2010, 10:16 AM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
As for the 294mm four pots Chtpcpo, you can make them quite good with appropriate pad, disc and fluid choice, and that's before even thinking about the big brake conversions.
What are the generally held best combinations for fast road use?

Mark

Quick Reply: Daft Question about Intercooler Sprays