Notices

Am i putting my car in danger at present?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 09:13 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i putting my car in danger at present?

due to last thread becoming rather confusing ive started this one.

Ive currently got a 98 uk turbo 2000

Mods: De cat, hks nur spec cat back, front mount intercooler, HKS SSQV dumpvalve.

now my question is im not sure if its been remapped or not if it hasnt is this likely to cause any damage to my car or will it be ok to drive like it for couple months as i believe its already been driven like this for few months already and doesnt seem to have any major driving issues except from a tiny leak from rocker cover on O/S
Old 13 August 2010, 09:19 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

and if its doing any major damage what can i look out for to see if anys been done as i believe its been driven like it for a while? ive got a standard cat and intercool i could put back on would this help as i am wanting to get all my bits together before i get it mapped as i dont wanna pay out for 2 maps
Old 13 August 2010, 09:44 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

My98 I think is right on a change over year for the ecu, do you know of it is mappable?
Personnally I wouldn't fit a front mount without a remap
a I think you have the right idea by gathering up all your bits for one map ( if poss )
I don't think you'll be able to see any damage possibly a few running issues but by then it could already be too late!
Old 14 August 2010, 12:36 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

think ill have to fit the standard intercooler 2moro then, and de cat wont hurt it though shure as this is just the fumes comin out and not causing any problems to engine surely? can understand the amount of air going in may make it run lean so ill stick the tmic back on till map day if i can 2moro just take some of the pippin off for the front mount but leave it bolt in place for now lol only be a week or so till mappin it any way so may just leave as it is an try not to boost 2 much.
Old 14 August 2010, 12:45 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin 2010

Mods: De cat, hks nur spec cat back, front mount intercooler, HKS SSQV dumpvalve.
If you've got a front mount intercooler, you also have an induction kit, yes? If not you probably have the only FMIC design on the planet that allows the standard airbox to be retained.

now my question is im not sure if its been remapped or not if it hasnt is this likely to cause any damage to my car
It is eminently possible. None of us here can tell you for certain whether or not it is actually happening though.

or will it be ok to drive like it for couple months as i believe its already been driven like this for few months already and doesnt seem to have any major driving issues except from a tiny leak from rocker cover on O/S
You won't know if you're causing it a problem until the engine suffers critical damage, that's the problem. Unless you're monitoring air-fuel ratios and combustion (i.e. monitoring for detonation).

think ill have to fit the standard intercooler 2moro then,
As above, if it has an induction kit, you'll need to fit the standard intake stuff too, if safety is what you're aiming for.

and de cat wont hurt it though shure as this is just the fumes comin out and not causing any problems to engine surely?
It can do. Reducing back pressure will make the turbo spool more quickly and can cause spiking/overboost. This shouldn't be an issue if the decat is the only mod being run, on its own, but there are exceptions, and especially in combination with the other bits you have, the decat has the potential to make things more serious.

Bottom line is that none of us can tell you via the internet whether or not your engine is running in a sustainable performance envelope or not. Only way to know is to monitor it directly.
Old 14 August 2010, 09:23 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

looks like i got a busy day in the rain then lol just gonna put air box back on and TMIC leave the Front mount on there and just take some pipe wrk off so i can fit the nessacery bits. just so i dont do long term damage i will be hoping to get it all done and mapped up in next few weeks any ways.
Old 14 August 2010, 09:29 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now my question is im not sure if its been remapped or not if it hasnt is this likely to cause any damage to my car or will it be ok to drive like it for couple months as i believe its already been driven like this for few months already and doesnt seem to have any major driving issues except from a tiny leak from rocker cover on O/S
Unbolt the ecu in passenger footwell and post a picture, the standard ecu isnt mappable currently so it should be obvious.

You can also get a health check, i usually use detcans, wideband and do a double check of everything under the bonnet and use a few pulls on a dyno to check and see power and torque and if safe check on the road. That way we know whether safe and the power and torque etc

Simon
Old 14 August 2010, 09:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and if its doing any major damage what can i look out for to see if anys been done as i believe its been driven like it for a while? ive got a standard cat and intercool i could put back on would this help as i am wanting to get all my bits together before i get it mapped as i dont wanna pay out for 2 maps
Compression test would give an idication but if okay i would then assume it is okay

No point mapping it twice as you have the parts already
Old 14 August 2010, 09:39 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

my ecu has a sticker on it reading 8S i believe simon/ who can do a compression test on it.

also where can i have this done..... " You can also get a health check, i usually use detcans, wideband and do a double check of everything under the bonnet and use a few pulls on a dyno to check and see power and torque and if safe check on the road. That way we know whether safe and the power and torque etc
"
Old 14 August 2010, 09:43 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

duncan (dynamix) is in the cambridge area and could prob do this just send him a pm his user name id dynamix
Old 14 August 2010, 09:49 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Simon or I can do it for you
Old 14 August 2010, 09:51 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

any one able to do this for me today?
Old 14 August 2010, 09:53 AM
FB Tuning