Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which induction kit?

What induction kits are people using for the MY05 sti? I want a noisey one
Old 30 July 2010, 09:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tall-Paul
What induction kits are people using for the MY05 sti?
Mostly they're probably not. As and where they are, they'll hopefully be using one matched to the engine and turbo setup they're using. Ergo, if you want a specific recommendation you'll have to tell us a fair bit more about your engine's current and proposed state of tune.

I want a noisey one
Do you like the noise a blown engine makes? That's one of the potential outcomes you're volunteering for by going down this path without proper consideration.

If you're still running the standard turbo and/or running less than 360bhp or so, there is no point fitting an induction kit as it has no upsides and a number of potential downsides. The biggest of the latter is knocking your mass airflow sensor accuracy out which will affect fuel mixtures and timing, and potentially lead you to a very big bill. If you want to eliminate that risk you'll need to have the ECU remapped, so figure on another £400+ on top of the price of the induction kit.

If you're desperate to have noise, you could always record some onto a CD , or maybe even stick a microphone in the engine bay and play the sound back through your stereo. Your engine will run better that way than if you throw unnecessary aftermarket bits at it.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:27 PM
Tall-Paul
Scooby Regular

Firstly your not being a big man by making sarcastic comments on a forum, im sure you would say nothing like that face to face....so grow up!

Im planning on remapping my standard 2.0 as soon as i fit the induction kit and decat, im talking about the remap in pm's with a reputable mobile tuner on here as we speak and his comments reflect the opposite of yours! I want an open induction kit (such as HKS, K&N) to enhance the "turbo chatter" noise that I get due to my reasonably stiff dump valve. I can hear it now in the standard airbox and only want to hear its true colours, along with the turbo spool....things which I greatly enjoy
Old 30 July 2010, 09:36 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

i have a K&N 'Short Ram' Enclosed Impreza Induction Kit from scooby world just fitted it ready for a remap on monday lots of chatter nice and loud induction noise to
Old 30 July 2010, 09:45 PM
Tall-Paul
Scooby Regular

sweet, i'll check them out. I really fancy a HKS though to keep it jap lol. Where you getting it mapped?
Old 30 July 2010, 09:48 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

dynamix is doing it, cant wait heard alot of good things
Old 30 July 2010, 09:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Firstly your not being a big man by making sarcastic comments on a forum, im sure you would say nothing like that face to face....so grow up!
I would, actually. I gave you a very sound and solid piece of advice, given on the basis of the information you provided. If you want to bitch and moan, that's your lookout, but you were the one who came here asking questions. If you show attitude when you don't get what you expect to hear, discussion forums are clearly not where you're supposed to be.

Im planning on remapping my standard 2.0 as soon as i fit the induction kit and decat, im talking about the remap in pm's with a reputable mobile tuner on here as we speak and his comments reflect the opposite of yours!
Two points:

First of all I told you in #2 that we'd need more specific info to give you more specific advice. If you were planning this as part of a suite of modifications the sensible option would have been to say so in #1 so we're not p*ss*ng in the wind. If you've been having a conversation via pm with this "reputable mapper" it's clear he has more context than your post gave us. Whether I'd have given the same response as him if I'd access to the same info is now a moot point, but it's eminently possible.

Secondly, you'll find plenty of respected tuners on here, mobile and otherwise, who'd recommend sticking with the standard induction tract if all you are doing is decatting and remapping. So, at end of day this is a matter of opinion. You are certainly well below the airflow level where the standard induction tract and/or MAF tube will be an outright impediment.

I want an open induction kit (such as HKS, K&N) to enhance the "turbo chatter" noise that I get due to my reasonably stiff dump valve.
You seem to have answered your own question, don't you? More to the point, if you have been in extended discussion with said tuner, he will presumably have given you a recommendation as to which bits to use?

Again, this is a discussion forum. You asked for an opinion and got one. You will quickly find that biting the hand that feeds is a really good way to find yourself going hungry the next time you'd like an informed opinion on something.

Last edited by Splitpin; 30 July 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:10 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

Had a Pipercross Viper kit fitted to mine in 2008,and had Re Map at Scoobyworld in 2009.No problems with the car (ie did'nt blow up).
Old 30 July 2010, 10:15 PM
Tall-Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinkypurkhardt
dynamix is doing it, cant wait heard alot of good things
Originally Posted by QUICKSCOOB
Had a Pipercross Viper kit fitted to mine in 2008,and had Re Map at Scoobyworld in 2009.No problems with the car (ie did'nt blow up).
cool does it make much noise? The chatter on mine sounds really nice...shame its trapped in the aribox
Old 30 July 2010, 10:28 PM
Tall-Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
I would, actually. I gave you a very sound and solid piece of advice, with said tuner, he will presumably have given you a recommendation as to which bits to use?

Again, this is a discussion forum. You asked for an opinion and got one. You will quickly find that biting the hand that feeds is a really good way to find yourself going hungry the next time you'd like an informed opinion on something.
You started your first paragraph with:

"Mostly they're probably not" and the second one with "Do you like the noise a blown engine makes?"

I have never heard anything as unecessary and sarcastic on a forum in my life....that kind of "chat" is likely to get anyones back up and I dont appreciate it. Also the advice you gave me didnt help answer my question at all and even if it was accurate I would be reluctant to listen to someone like you. Look at the other 2 responses ive got...thats what normal friendly people do on forums. We're all here to talk about our cars and make friends along the way! Shame you probably wont experience that. Your people skills are shocking! Please make note of my forum name and NEVER reply to one of my threads again!

Paul
Old 30 July 2010, 10:28 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Don't bother with the induction kit unless you really have is my advice!!! The standard Airbox on the STI's is good for 400bhp mate and you will Gain nothing from an induction kit other than a sound.

If anything you will lose power in this hot weather, and run a increased risk of failing MAF and I'm sure Duncan will tell you the same thing if you ask him the question.

Save your money and put it towards something worth while i.e. Coilovers, 100CEL sports cat DP and center Decat.

You want chat blank the DV off
Old 30 July 2010, 10:29 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Awesome... Double post oooppsss

Last edited by Stealth; 30 July 2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:49 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I have never heard anything as unecessary and sarcastic on a forum in my life....that kind of "chat" is likely to get anyones back up and I dont appreciate it.
I don't give a stuff whether you appreciate it or not. Whether you like it or not, people have blown engines as a result of bunging an induction kit on, and under those circumstances, and given the complete lack of context in your post, it was more than justifiable to make clear to you the potential downside of what you were talking about. That isn't sarcasm, it's making sure you understand that there's more to this than throwing random bits at your car and expecting it all to work seamlessly.

As above, had you mentioned up front that this was all part and parcel of a process involving the remap, I'd have responded on that basis. As you didn't, you got an answer that wasn't totally relevant to your situation. That's your fault for failing to provide the appropriate info up front.

Your people skills are shocking!
My people skills achieve exactly what I intend them to, as the people who stop to think about what I say will often comment. There are more than a few people on here who've taken exception to something I've said and, on reflection, realised that I was actually spot on, even if they didn't want to hear it at the time. I call a spade a spade and don't sugar coat. If you don't "get" that, I frankly don't give a toss, it's your problem, not mine. There are plenty more round here who get the benefit.

Please make note of my forum name and NEVER reply to one of my threads again!l
Rofl, as per one of your earlier posts, grow up. If you don't want to deal with opinions you might not like, don't ask for advice on subjects like this with people who have been involved in them a little longer than you - whether online, or elsewhere.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:54 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a stuff whether you appreciate it or not. Whether you like it or not, people have blown engines as a result of bunging an induction kit on, and under those circumstances, and given the complete lack of context in your post, it was more than justifiable to make clear to you the potential downside of what you were talking about. That isn't sarcasm, it's making sure you understand that there's more to this than throwing random bits at your car and expecting it all to work seamlessly.

As above, had you mentioned up front that this was all part and parcel of a process involving the remap, I'd have responded on that basis. As you didn't, you got an answer that wasn't totally relevant to your situation. That's your fault for failing to provide the appropriate info up front.

My people skills achieve exactly what I intend them to, as the people who stop to think about what I say will often comment. There are more than a few people on here who've taken exception to something I've said and, on reflection, realised that I was actually spot on, even if they didn't want to hear it at the time. I call a spade a spade and don't sugar coat. If you don't "get" that, I frankly don't give a toss, it's your problem, not mine. There are plenty more round here who get the benefit.

Rofl, as per one of your earlier posts, grow up. If you don't want to deal with opinions you might not like, don't ask for advice on subjects like this with people who have been involved in them a little longer than you - whether online, or elsewhere.
Behave splitpinat it again i see,theres also alot on here that think what comes out of your mouth is ROFL.
Your advice is good but thats all,and id like to see you say it to his face as we both know what you do when things really heat up dont we mate
Old 30 July 2010, 10:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

You started your first paragraph with:

"Mostly they're probably not" and the second one with "Do you like the noise a blown engine makes?"
Thats sound advice
Basically what Split is telling you in no uncertain terms is that you dont need some crappy induction kit that sucks all the hot air out of your engine back in there (because thats what its doing), it will make a nice noise, you will lose power, but it will make a nice noise
Basically you dont need to change the induction set up of a new age STI, its better than 99% of these "induction" kits, just put a good filter in there.

As for the 2nd point, also true, you said nothing about what else you were going to do, in doing the first point it could have caused you serious engine damage and you dont want to hear the sound of what a subaru engine makes when its dying, mainly because its big £££££ to fix it.

Now if you would like to tell people exactly what MY05 STI you have and what mods it has on it, you may get a more focused answer, ie MY05 PPP'd UK car.

Tony
Old 30 July 2010, 11:08 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good induction kits will actually improve power (if mapped for them) but most of the ebay rubbish will be better off in the bin. As such the std airbox is a very good safe bet for known performance increases. I often (unfortunately) turn up to map a car with a dodgy induction kit which is quite frankly holding the car back - it is a shame to spend money to lose performance.

Personally I dont like induction noise and would much prefer the standard airbox on mine (alas power doesnt allow this at 600bhp ish) but at the end of the day people will generally do what they want with their cars... including fitting cheap sh1te dump valves or turbonators.

If mapped right (which if the OP uses a reputable tuner on here that others have recommended) I am sure it will be safe and a big improvement over his PPP car right the way through the rev range
Old 30 July 2010, 11:08 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

+1
Old 30 July 2010, 11:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Behave splitpinat it again i see,theres also alot on here that think what comes out of your mouth is ROFL.
Your advice is good but thats all,and id like to see you say it to his face as we both know what you do when things really heat up dont we mate
Prodriverules, you're in no position to try and lecture anyone else on their behaviour given your prior antics here.

The last time you tried this kind of thing, you gave someone some advice that turned out to be so utterly wrong, it probably resulted in the poor sod who listened to you you damaging his new turbo by running the wrong oil restrictor in it.

Indeed I recall you sending me a pm the other week promising to be a good boy from that point on. That being the case, keeping schtum and doing your best not to get yourself into situations you can't deal with would probably be the best way forward for you.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:14 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Prodriverules, you're in no position to try and lecture anyone else on their behaviour given your prior antics here.

The last time you tried this kind of thing, you gave someone some advice that turned out to be so utterly wrong, it probably resulted in the poor sod who listened to you you damaging his new turbo by running the wrong oil restrictor in it.

Indeed I recall you sending me a pm the other week promising to be a good boy from that point on. That being the case, keeping schtum and doing your best not to get yourself into situations you can't deal with would probably be the best way forward for you.
splitpin i dont have any problems with you at all,im just trying to make you see that you are not being very nice thats all,and your wrong on the advice thing as i changed my turbo from td to vf 15k miles ago and not one bit of play or problems and i didnt change the banjo so i dont know were your getting your info from but its not right mate.
And i only said id be good to stop me being banned mate i dont like you at all,nor will i be keeping out of threads your being an **** on so lets play

Last edited by prodriverules; 30 July 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:17 PM
Tall-Paul
Scooby Regular

You just cant help yourself can you...now pi55 off and stop ruining my thread!

.......back to topic
Old 31 July 2010, 12:42 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Oh I really don't know why you bother Splitpin.
Give the guy a straight answer (and I would have said it to Tall Pauls face too) and he throws his toys out of the pram..

There was nothing not nice in anything he said.
This is the second time I've seen you prodriverules come wading in with your opinion too.

**** this, I got better things to be doing than giving people advise they don't want to listen too. My work colleague is right, better to stay off the forums and you can't get wound up by the idiots.
Old 31 July 2010, 12:48 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Oh I really don't know why you bother Splitpin.
Give the guy a straight answer (and I would have said it to Tall Pauls face too) and he throws his toys out of the pram..

There was nothing not nice in anything he said.
This is the second time I've seen you prodriverules come wading in with your opinion too.

**** this, I got better things to be doing than giving people advise they don't want to listen too. My work colleague is right, better to stay off the forums and you can't get wound up by the idiots.
fuzz i dont why you bother either so just go away as your about as welcome as splitpinand seeing as there is nothing you can/could do about me wading in shut up
Old 31 July 2010, 12:51 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I wasn't bothering, otherwise I would have replied with a useful answer to the OP, but being as he raged at Splitpin, I thought well **** it then.
Old 31 July 2010, 01:06 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
I wasn't bothering, otherwise I would have replied with a useful answer to the OP, but being as he raged at Splitpin, I thought well **** it then.
well to be fair fuzz he does get people's back up quite easily and it isnt for no reason is it,its one thing to give advice but to belittle people and act like he does is not on,and seeing as dynamix has posted that the air filter with a good map can work it proves his advice isn't always as clean cut and correct as he would have us believe.
Splitpin go's on about the type of people who should and shouldnt come on forums when he should take agood look at him self and how he replys to posts as this isnt the first time this has happened is it,you on the other hand are ok as you dont try to make people feel small and do give good advice.
Old 31 July 2010, 07:43 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

It isnt always cut and dry as to what will work well though - every car responds differently. What is known however is that the std airbox will do a decent job for all cars.

However, the OP wanted induction noise and therefore all I can do is give advice on which induction kits work. RCM trumpet works well, K&N 57i works up to a point, APS CAI works, KSTech CAI's work very nicely and are cheaper too.
Old 31 July 2010, 10:20 AM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just reverted back to the standard air box on my mapped 05 Jdm sti. I was having idling problems with the underwing induction kit which was fitted when I bought the car. The car idles fine now. I would recommend you stay with the original airbox. Steve.
Old 31 July 2010, 12:20 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You just cant help yourself can you...now pi55 off and stop ruining my thread!
Actually, it was you who made the thread a personal one, and Prodrivefules who waded in on your coat tails, without actually contributing to the subject at hand, merely to try and have a pop, presumably thinking he'll have you to agree with him. Given that he's seen fit to do that, I'm more than entitled to respond. And it's the forum's thread now, for better or worse, not "yours".

Originally Posted by prodriverules
well to be fair fuzz he does get people's back up quite easily and it isnt for no reason is it,
What reason do you think it is sport?

Being as you're the sort whose standard MO is to post bad/incorrect advice and then label people who choose to debate you as, what was it, "c*nts", "f*ggots", "bummers", "gay" or a variety of other fruity terms, to the point of posting your (or someone else's) address on the public board and inviting others round to have a pop if they think they're hard enough, the words "glasshouses" and "stones" springs to mind. You've been told to wind it in by many more than me in the past.

When your stock response to being debated/disagreed with is to behave like a homophobic 12 year old playground bully, it makes it rather difficult for you to try and adopt any high ground in discussions like this. Your true colours show through far too quickly, especially to any regular readers of the board. How old are you exactly?

its one thing to give advice but to belittle people and act like he does is not on,and seeing as dynamix has posted that the air filter with a good map can work it proves his advice isn't always as clean cut and correct as he would have us believe.
I'd suggest that Duncan's overview is far closer to my own than you are trying to claim. Without wanting to put words in his mouth he seems to be saying that that the standard induction tract is usually a safer bet, and would be his own choice in this position but that if the OP is determined to go the other way, a remap is necessary - which is almost exactly what I said in #2.

The opinion I gave up top was as good as it could have been given the information provided by the OP, in particular stressing the downside of just "chucking a loud one" on, without fully respecting the issues involved. As I mentioned later on, if Paul wanted a comprehensive answer to his question he should have provided all the relevant info up front, rather than ask half a question and then moan when he didn't get the agreement he was plainly seeking. Had he provided that information, he'd have received a response more relevant to his circumstances. He didn't, and here we are.

BTW, Prodrive, this habit you have of descending on other people's technical threads merely to launch ad-hominem attacks on other posters is getting a trifle repetitive. For someone who claimed to have been having a "long hard think" and asking me to "forgive" your prior attitude, it doesn't really look like much has changed, does it?

Last edited by Splitpin; 31 July 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 31 July 2010, 12:30 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I'd suggest that Duncan's overview is far closer to my own than you are trying to claim. Without wanting to put words in his mouth he seems to be saying that that the standard induction tract is usually a safer bet, and would be his own choice in this position but that if the OP is determined to go the other way, a remap is necessary - which is almost exactly what I said in #2.
Indeed
Old 31 July 2010, 01:19 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

The Pipercross Viper i have is carbon fibre with cold air feed.I had normal Pipercross before,but changed because of the engine bay heat issues.Not really sure how it sounds because too much noise coming from Afterburner Vortex backbox and HKS BOV.pm welcome as don't really have any interest in seeing the bitching going on on here.
Old 31 July 2010, 02:33 PM
Tall-Paul
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Tall-Paul; 31 July 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Which induction kit?