Notices

Front camber bolts ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2010, 08:23 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front camber bolts ?

I need some help i have a 05 wrx sti and it has camber bolts holding the suspention on does any one no were or how they should be set as the bolt is not round it is oval so when it is turned it either pules or pushed the hub in or out ?

THANKS
Old 27 July 2010, 08:24 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by youngscars
I need some help i have a 05 wrx sti and it has camber bolts holding the suspention on does any one no were or how they should be set as the bolt is not round it is oval so when it is turned it either pules or pushed the hub in or out ?

THANKS
you need to take and geometry set when they've been apart mate
Old 27 July 2010, 08:30 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

A what lol can i not do it myself i took the bolts out and just can not remember were they were set to ?
Old 27 July 2010, 08:34 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

A what lol can i not do it myself i took the bolts out and just can not remember were they were set to ?
if you'd have marked it before removing then you would be ok but as there out now then no mate,you can set it some where near by eye but it can cause funny handling and bad tyre wear,and the geometry setting is when they put gauges on to set the camber and caster angles and front to rear wheel allignment,you can find the odd place with old manual gauges but most are electronic,usually costs about a ton to be done mate.
Old 27 July 2010, 08:42 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell how much lol i will try and give a go myself it does look like their is a little were on the outer side of tyre and if you look at the front wheels from the front of car it does look like the do camber out a little from the top and in at the bottom if it is out would it effect the c diff on my car as if in auto i ge a knock / bang noise when turning going slow it ok at speen and also ok if in rear end drive ?
Old 27 July 2010, 08:45 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell how much lol i will try and give a go myself it does look like their is a little were on the outer side of tyre and if you look at the front wheels from the front of car it does look like the do camber out a little from the top and in at the bottom if it is out would it effect the c diff on my car as if in auto i ge a knock / bang noise when turning going slow it ok at speen and also ok if in rear end drive ?
no mate the camber wont effect the diff,is this noise only when turning at slow speed?
Old 27 July 2010, 08:48 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

Yes m8 when driving in and out my drive or going round a sharpish corner at low speen as i say fine when going fast
Old 27 July 2010, 08:51 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Yes m8 when driving in and out my drive or going round a sharpish corner at low speen as i say fine when going fast
is it when you go on and off the throttle or just at constant speed and can you feel it when it happens ie through the peddlels or steering?
Old 27 July 2010, 08:56 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

I can sometimes feel it when i come to a stop and then pull away but not all time . I dont think i can feel it through the peddels just through the steering its like a clunk / knock feeling i dont no it just dont quit feel right lol
Old 27 July 2010, 09:02 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

I can sometimes feel it when i come to a stop and then pull away but not all time . I dont think i can feel it through the peddels just through the steering its like a clunk / knock feeling i dont no it just dont quit feel right lol
sounds like you could have a lower arm bush going,when the weight transfers from one way to the other its moving or it could be a drop link?when you,ve got the wheel back on give it shake from side to side whilst looking the bushes and see if there is any movement.
Old 27 July 2010, 09:09 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

LOL would that cause the noise when i have it in auto on my c diff the only reason i ask is cause the pasenger side bottom ball joint has gone ?
Old 27 July 2010, 09:33 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

Do you no were i can get one from i got one online but it was the wrong one i have tried everywere mine is not like the standerd bull joint mine has like a cone that sits into a cone shape . I did not no if that would cause the prob i thought it was to do with my c diff / drive shafts
Old 27 July 2010, 10:20 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Do you no were i can get one from i got one online but it was the wrong one i have tried everywere mine is not like the standerd bull joint mine has like a cone that sits into a cone shape . I did not no if that would cause the prob i thought it was to do with my c diff / drive shafts
depends how bad it has gone mate really,you could get one of a local garage if you have one close,get them to order one of the motor factors they use.
Old 27 July 2010, 10:37 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8 will get one and let you no if it sorts the prob out THANKS
Old 27 July 2010, 10:39 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8 will get one and let you no if it sorts the prob out THANKS
drop me a pm if you want id like to know how you get on mate
Old 27 July 2010, 11:22 PM
youngscars
Scooby Regular

Will do THANKS M8
Old 28 July 2010, 09:59 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Set the camber bolts to give max negative camber, ie leaning the top of the wheel in towards the car as far as possible. This will be about 1deg 15min which is fine for "fast road". May not be entirely equal but won't be far off. Track will have to be reset as moving the camber changes the position of the end of the steering arm. Suggest about 1mm toe in, you'll have to do both sides equally or steering wheel won't be straight.