Notices

air bag light??

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2010, 01:02 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag light??

Does anyone know how to turn of the air bag light on the dash of a classic? only reason its on is i took the steering wheel off to try the momo one without disconnecting the battery (stupid i know). Ive tried disconnecting the battery for 20-30 mins but didnt do anything. Thanks for your help
Old 23 July 2010, 09:39 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

anyone??
Old 23 July 2010, 10:35 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

mines been on for the past month or 2. i havnt touched anything on the car tho so ????
Old 24 July 2010, 12:33 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

so im thinking theres no way of losing the light without going back to the dealer so the can put opcom ect on it. any help would be great
Old 24 July 2010, 12:50 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

If the circuit is good the light should go out. Have a careful check of any connections you may have disturbed. As a test you could substitute a 2.2 ohm resistor to see if light goes out. Apart from the risk of death with the bag going off in your face I don't see that not disconnecting the battery will harm an airbag module.
Old 24 July 2010, 06:59 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

i know there nothing wrong with it its just i took the steering wheel off with the battery connected then by accident turned on the ignition with the air bag unpluged so its sent a fault. i tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins as this works on other cars to clear old codes ect but didnt do nothing for the scooby. thanks
Old 24 July 2010, 10:12 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

You need to go to a computer shop like (maplin) and get a 2ohm resister and bridge it on the plug that youve unplugged. I had to do this a few weeks ago....
Old 24 July 2010, 10:28 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Is your original steering wheel, with airbag, back on the car now? If it is and you still have the warning light on, then you've either not reconnected everything back up properly, or you've done some damage to the wiring while you were taking the wheel off or putting it back on.
FWIW, the yellow airbag connector only has to be pulled out a couple of millimeters to trigger the light, and the locking tab must be fully pushed back into place also.

If you've now got a non-OEM wheel on, then as f4la_k said you need to fit a resistor to fool the ECU into believing the airbag is present.
Old 24 July 2010, 11:12 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

ive got the original one back on now and all connecters back together but the light is still lit. do they not have to be reset once the light comes on?
Old 24 July 2010, 11:31 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

do they not have to be reset once the light comes on?
The only time I've ever taken my wheel off was to swap it with a slightly newer OEM one, as the old one was shabby and worn. When I did it, I disconnected the battery (both terminals) for a good half hour before I started, swapped everything over, then reconnected battery, but I had the light come on. So I undid everything again, and noticed I hadn't pushed the airbag wiring connector quite all the way back on (it was just a tiny bit short, or the locking tab thing wasn't pushed all the way back, I can't remember exactly), so disconnected battery again, waited some more, then pushed connector on properly, reconnected battery, and light gone. To me that says the light should reset itself without doing anything special, so long as all the wiring goes back on properly, but there could be exceptions to the rule.

My car is a '96 UK turbo wagon, btw.