Notices

Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 11:13 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Controller

hi, i have a 2002 wrx ppp. it has been mapped on top of the ppp ecu and is running 18 psi on the map, however my engine is only running just under 1 bar, i was thinking of getting a boost controller and turning the boost up to what it should be. my question was whether you can turn up boost with a apexi avcr etc. and what else the boost controller does?

thanks in advance.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:20 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tazz
hi, i have a 2002 wrx ppp. it has been mapped on top of the ppp ecu and is running 18 psi on the map, however my engine is only running just under 1 bar, i was thinking of getting a boost controller and turning the boost up to what it should be. my question was whether you can turn up boost with a apexi avcr etc. and what else the boost controller does?

thanks in advance.
all i can say if you've got the money get it asap as its the muts nuts
Old 18 July 2010, 11:30 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks in advance.

i would be looking into why the engine isn't delivering the boost before you you start whacking it up via mechanical means.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:34 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
i would be looking into why the engine isn't delivering the boost before you you start whacking it up via mechanical means.
electronic
Old 18 July 2010, 11:49 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
I agree. You don't want to go masking a potential problem. Much better idea would be to pop back to the mapper and get him to diagnose the problem.

Did the boost drop at some point then?
Old 18 July 2010, 11:59 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
electronic
the end result is adding a "mechanical" way of adding more boost by either using a brass dawes type valve or the top all singing and dancing apexi.
Old 19 July 2010, 12:00 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

yeh i had the engine changed as when i bought the car it had a fried piston ring, and they took everything apart and replaced the head and block, then put it back together again. the previous owner who was a mate, said it was very fast and after the engine change it isnt as quick anymore, this is when i got the boost levels checked etc. so can you adjust the boost with the boost controller?
Old 19 July 2010, 12:09 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

yeh i had the engine changed as when i bought the car it had a fried piston ring, and they took everything apart and replaced the head and block, then put it back together again. the previous owner who was a mate, said it was very fast and after the engine change it isnt as quick anymore, this is when i got the boost levels checked etc. so can you adjust the boost with the boost controller?
yes mate the boost can be adjusted but as stated there must be areason for the car not feeling as quick so get that sorted first i would
Then get the apexi as there a stonking bit of kit which can deliver diffrent levels of boost for each gear and level of rpm.
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

yeah sure you can just turn the boost up, but as stated above you need to find the issue as to why its not boosting the same or you risk doing the exact same thing, the fact is you have fixed the broken engine but have not looked in the cause of the fried piston.
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Could they have updated the ECU and wiped the map?

You could just up the boost manually but it could make things go very wrong. I'd go to see the guy that mapped it first. Can you not find out who did it?
Old 19 July 2010, 12:24 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

i don't know who mapped it but will try to find out. do all boost controllers do the same job as the apexi?
Old 19 July 2010, 12:27 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

i don't know who mapped it but will try to find out. do all boost controllers do the same job as the apexi?
only the really good[expensive]ones lol
Old 19 July 2010, 12:35 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

They will all raise and lower boost manually. I have used both in the past, electronic and manual. What they both have in common is that the user is always tempted to raise the boost little by little.

Personally, if you are going to do it this way, I'd go for a Dawes type mechanical valve. It is fitted under the bonnet so you are less likely to tweak it every five minutes. They work great. And they can be bought for as little as £30.00 as opposed to hundreds, when essentially they do the same thing. But then what's the point in having an expensive controller when you could map the car and have it done properly.

My advice here though is to call up a mapper to have a look. There are plenty on Scoobynet that would be able to help.

Last edited by dan83590; 19 July 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 19 July 2010, 01:08 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your own ECU is perfectly capable of looking after the boost from your TD04 It just needs to be working properly so It needs looking at

Shaun
Old 20 July 2010, 12:05 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have changed the engine it really should be remapped to suit..

Especially considering the reason for the demise of the previous engine, the issue might still be there and can be identified at remap time.

Simon