Notices

help, have my piston rings gone????

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2010, 06:39 PM
kevwrxturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, have my piston rings gone????

got a 1995 wrx turbo and my turbo went so put a second hand td05 on and turbo is now working fine but now the car isnt idiling properly, got blue smoke from ma exhaust and pressure and smoke coming from oil filler cap when removed and ticking over. been told to get a compession tet done but how much do they cost????? my poor scooby.
Old 05 July 2010, 06:43 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

compression test at agarage can be alittle costly just to find out your engines fooked but its down to the configuration of the engine[flat] which puts the spark plug holes in abit of a bad spot to try and quickly whip them out,if shes breathing heavy and not running right then theres afair chance its rings causing the blow by.Ryan
Old 05 July 2010, 06:51 PM
kevwrxturbo
Scooby Newbie

aye thought it sounded like rings, but have been told the head gasket mite be gone aswell but isnt overheating or using water and still blows hot air. idle goes up and down, engine feels shakey, seems to be using more fuel (maybe thats just me) but the new turbo orking fine and boosting fine, would it be cheaper to just buy a bottom end? can get 1 for 350quid but will obv still need to take the engine out. any idea roughly how much a compression test is? and theres not really much point in finding out which piston is gone as will replace em all anyway if my bore is ok.
Old 28 September 2010, 02:29 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Your better off reboring or honing and getting a new set of rings or even pistons, do the bearings while your there.
Old 28 September 2010, 03:43 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

kevwrxturbo, where are you based? If you take it to a dealer, they will probably charge you around a couple of hundred quid to do a compression test, but that's a rip off. You should be able to get it done for under a hundred pounds at a smaller independent garage.
Alternatively, if you have enough mechanical compentency to change your plugs, then should should be able to buy a compression test kit (like the Sealey) for around £25 to £40 and do the test with the help of a mate. If you do a bit of a search, I'll sure you'll find some instructions.