Notices

Mysterious Subaru Part Numbers ???

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2010, 08:35 AM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mysterious Subaru Part Numbers ???

Hi folks.

I am having a nightmare trying to find a suitable crank for my new V2 STI lump. I am looking for a centre thrust one....

Does anyone else find it absolutely impossible to identify them from the numbers on them

No matter what way I enter the number in search engines it always just comes back with either nothing or Subaru Dealer's Telephone numbers. I have the Fast2 Subaru Parts Catalogue too and that still doesn't shed any light on the matter as it lists all crankshafts from 1993-2000 as #12200

I have found what I think may be a suitable crankshaft and the part number on it is 'bbbcc zzzz 079588 C'...Can it really be this difficult? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Well I don't mind saying it totally has me stumped and if anyone can enlighten me then I'm forever in their debt cos it is totally frying my head now

Another number on another crankshaft I've seen was 'bcaab zzzz
653656 g a'....but nothing comes up for that either....

Any info would be gratefully received as I just don't know how else one would identify a part if the numbers on them don't correspond to anything.

Cheers folks...hopefully someone can solve the mystery
Old 24 June 2010, 10:05 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...earchKey=crank
Old 24 June 2010, 02:14 PM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me

Sadly that doesn't help as to an untrained eye like mine, they all look like that :-).

I'm really trying to find a way of identifying from the mysterious and so far meaningless numbers :-(
Old 24 June 2010, 02:35 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Well are you fitting a standard crank? The only reason it would have another number on is if its had a stroker kit fitted.
Old 24 June 2010, 02:51 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The markings you're quoting earlier aren't part numbers, they're manufacture/batch numbers, and, taking a very wild stab, the bcaab-type thing sounds like a bearing shell fine size marker.

As you've already noted, all Subaru EJ20 crank part numbers begin with 12200. The centre thrust crank's full number is 12200AA150 I believe. The one Jonny has pointed you in the direction of is correct for your engine if you want to buy new.

What's the issue here, are you trying to identify a suitable used replacement on a breaker's shelf, or something like that?
Old 24 June 2010, 02:52 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hendrixwoman
Hi folks.

I am having a nightmare trying to find a suitable crank for my new V2 STI lump. I am looking for a centre thrust one....

Does anyone else find it absolutely impossible to identify them from the numbers on them

No matter what way I enter the number in search engines it always just comes back with either nothing or Subaru Dealer's Telephone numbers. I have the Fast2 Subaru Parts Catalogue too and that still doesn't shed any light on the matter as it lists all crankshafts from 1993-2000 as #12200

I have found what I think may be a suitable crankshaft and the part number on it is 'bbbcc zzzz 079588 C'...Can it really be this difficult? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Well I don't mind saying it totally has me stumped and if anyone can enlighten me then I'm forever in their debt cos it is totally frying my head now

Another number on another crankshaft I've seen was 'bcaab zzzz
653656 g a'....but nothing comes up for that either....

Any info would be gratefully received as I just don't know how else one would identify a part if the numbers on them don't correspond to anything.

Cheers folks...hopefully someone can solve the mystery
Ha Ha Ha Got you -

The letters and numbers on the crank are the bearing grading sizes for initial build at Fuji Industries. They mean nothing once the engine has been built as it is not possible to buy graded bearings from IM.

they are not part numbers.

The crank for a Version anything up to September 1998 is

12200 AA150

We keep good stock and can offer an overnight mail order service at good prices.

Call if I can help

David APi

Our new rolling road is ready to roll.

Agents for:

Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Hayward & Scott exhausts
Carbonetics clutches
BC suspension
Samco hose kits
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
Performance friction products

And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com

01926 614333
Old 24 June 2010, 02:54 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

B*GGER - Splitpin beat me to it....
Old 24 June 2010, 03:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha Ha Got you -

Old 24 June 2010, 05:20 PM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi Folks.

Many thanks for all the response.

Yes it was an item at a breakers I was trying to identify but from the concise info you've provided I can see that those numbers I am looking at won't identify the particular part.

The issue is that I really need a centre thrust crank apparently as opposed to a rear thrust and to be honest they both look the exact same to me...
Is there any real way one can tell just by looking? I mean I imagine if I had physical sight of the 2 pieces together, then the differences would become apparent but at the moment they are just existing as JPGs and I can't tell what is different between the 2.

Many thanks again folks
Old 24 June 2010, 05:33 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Folks.

Many thanks for all the response.

Yes it was an item at a breakers I was trying to identify but from the concise info you've provided I can see that those numbers I am looking at won't identify the particular part.

The issue is that I really need a centre thrust crank apparently as opposed to a rear thrust and to be honest they both look the exact same to me...
Is there any real way one can tell just by looking? I mean I imagine if I had physical sight of the 2 pieces together, then the differences would become apparent but at the moment they are just existing as JPGs and I can't tell what is different between the 2.

Many thanks again folks

how much is the second hand crank? is it really worth putting one in when a new one is such a reasonable price?
Old 24 June 2010, 06:01 PM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I hear what you are saying peeps but I'm not put off by decent quality used parts. I've bought plenty 2nd hand bits before that easily outlasted the vehicles themselves.

I know the purists out there are probably spitting out their coffee at the very idea of fitting 2nd parts but I'm a bit of a hillbilly at heart and I've never suffered any ill effects in the past from using decent quality guaranteed 2nd hand items

To put into perspective. The car is a 98 UK Turbo 2000 Wagon that only cost me £900 2 years ago and my STi V2 engine only stood me at £200 and as yet I don't even know if it even needs a new crank. May just need new bearings if that is possible so on that basis I would struggle to justify spending £400+ on a single solitary item when 100 miles down the road something totally unrelated may go t*ts up anyway...

If it was an original mint high spec STI model I owned worth around £4,500 instead of just an old tatty wagon then I would definitely be going the new parts route but this motor is just a bit of fun on a very limited budget as I have something else as my daily driver now.

The car hardly owes me anything and I want to try and keep that way so If I can get it on the road with my meagre funds then that'll do for me Many thanks.
Old 24 June 2010, 07:23 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

I hear what you are saying peeps but I'm not put off by decent quality used parts. I've bought plenty 2nd hand bits before that easily outlasted the vehicles themselves.

I know the purists out there are probably spitting out their coffee at the very idea of fitting 2nd parts but I'm a bit of a hillbilly at heart and I've never suffered any ill effects in the past from using decent quality guaranteed 2nd hand items

To put into perspective. The car is a 98 UK Turbo 2000 Wagon that only cost me £900 2 years ago and my STi V2 engine only stood me at £200 and as yet I don't even know if it even needs a new crank. May just need new bearings if that is possible so on that basis I would struggle to justify spending £400+ on a single solitary item when 100 miles down the road something totally unrelated may go t*ts up anyway...

If it was an original mint high spec STI model I owned worth around £4,500 instead of just an old tatty wagon then I would definitely be going the new parts route but this motor is just a bit of fun on a very limited budget as I have something else as my daily driver now.

The car hardly owes me anything and I want to try and keep that way so If I can get it on the road with my meagre funds then that'll do for me Many thanks.

fair play i understand you point, if you do go down the used crank route make sure its not one that has not been reground as you will be fitting another one not long after.
Old 24 June 2010, 07:53 PM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

many thanks
Old 25 June 2010, 09:31 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Secondhand engine parts into a Subaru engine is a no-no, ESPECIALLY the crank. Given the amount of work required to change a crank on a flat four engine, the risk is too great.

There is no way to easily identify a centre thrust against a rear thrust without experience as they are very similar to look at AND there was a range a few years back that were dual purpose.

Grit your teeth, buy a new crank and move on or you'll be posting on here again very soon about why buying a used crark wasn't such a good idea...............

Good Luck - David