help and advice on fitting engine and box

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2010, 05:39 PM
malin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help and advice on fitting engine and box

Hi all

Has anybody fitted an engine and gearbox from a newage sti into a 1994 classic?

Is it a straight forward swap? What will i need to change if anything from my old setup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Glen
Old 27 May 2010, 05:59 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No but i've retro fitted an STi engine with the AVCS into a newage WRX so i guess process will be very similar.

You'll need the front and rear cabin looms and engine wiring loom, and the ecu from a jap import newage STi and not a UK car because of the immobiliser on newage UK cars. Immobilisers are an option on Jap cars and most come without. You might also need the whole ignition switch, plug and keys.

You'll need the clocks and somehow fit that into the classic dashboard so you've got a rev counter, speedo etc... etc... Then it's just a process of fitting and wiring up all your engine and vehicle ancilliaries to the loom. You'll need a 5spd flywheel too unless you're also doing a 6spd conversion in which case, drives shafts, prop, flywheel, rear diff, etc etc...

Not a conversion for the light hearted. Hope this helps.
Old 27 May 2010, 06:43 PM
malin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
No but i've retro fitted an STi engine with the AVCS into a newage WRX so i guess process will be very similar.

You'll need the front and rear cabin looms and engine wiring loom, and the ecu from a jap import newage STi and not a UK car because of the immobiliser on newage UK cars. Immobilisers are an option on Jap cars and most come without. You might also need the whole ignition switch, plug and keys.

You'll need the clocks and somehow fit that into the classic dashboard so you've got a rev counter, speedo etc... etc... Then it's just a process of fitting and wiring up all your engine and vehicle ancilliaries to the loom. You'll need a 5spd flywheel too unless you're also doing a 6spd conversion in which case, drives shafts, prop, flywheel, rear diff, etc etc...

Not a conversion for the light hearted. Hope this helps.
OMG

That is way more than what i was hoping, i thought i could just take the engine, bolt all my stuff on to it, manifolds etc, etc. stick the 6 speed in and away i go. Thats just put me right off mate. Car is runnig a simtek at the mo if that makes a difference?

Glen
Old 27 May 2010, 09:18 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

It makes a difference because your simtek will be mapped and i presume is specific to (connectors & ECU Pinouts) classic v1 & v2 scoobs so ECU wise you will either need to get another simtek specific to the 2ltr newage STi and have that mapped or a factory ECU and have that mapped instead and sell your Simtek to add those funds towards the project. As for a 6spd conversion there is no easy way around that either.

IMHO you are much better off getting a built 2.5 closed deck bottom end and retro fit all your gubbins on to that, get the Simtek you have now remapped, and then get your box rebuilt with a PPG gearset in mind, and you're good to go. It will work out pretty close on cost, but is a much easier project to carry out and will be equally as effective.

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 27 May 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 27 May 2010, 09:30 PM
malin
Scooby Regular

cool fella, cheers for the info. Back to the drawing board then. lol

Glen
Old 27 May 2010, 09:53 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

You can use the short engine and bolt your heads and ancillaries to this without issue, the box can also be used but you need to change your rear diff, shafts and hubs to match.

Originally Posted by malin
OMG

That is way more than what i was hoping, i thought i could just take the engine, bolt all my stuff on to it, manifolds etc, etc. stick the 6 speed in and away i go. Thats just put me right off mate. Car is runnig a simtek at the mo if that makes a difference?

Glen
Old 28 May 2010, 11:06 AM
malin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-Ink*
You can use the short engine and bolt your heads and ancillaries to this without issue, the box can also be used but you need to change your rear diff, shafts and hubs to match.

That seems a bit more like what i was after, that should be an easy enough task then, even by my standards. Cheers for the info.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:52 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

You stated STi engine in your first post hence to fit that and run the AVCS you will need to do a complete rewire. If you'd said, can i use just the bottom end then your answer would have been as simple as yes.

If you're just going to use a bottom end then i'll stand by what i said about going for a really torquey built 2.5 instead of a newage 2Ltr STi bottom end, but if you've already got the STi engine then good luck with your build, although It does though seem a shame to not use the AVCS heads as that is what helps to make the 2Ltr STi so punchy from lower mid range onwards.

Hope it goes well.
Old 28 May 2010, 09:39 PM
malin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
You stated STi engine in your first post hence to fit that and run the AVCS you will need to do a complete rewire. If you'd said, can i use just the bottom end then your answer would have been as simple as yes.

If you're just going to use a bottom end then i'll stand by what i said about going for a really torquey built 2.5 instead of a newage 2Ltr STi bottom end, but if you've already got the STi engine then good luck with your build, although It does though seem a shame to not use the AVCS heads as that is what helps to make the 2Ltr STi so punchy from lower mid range onwards.

Hope it goes well.
Sorry buddy, i should have been a bit more specific. To be honest i haven't got a clue what avcs is or much about the impreza engine to be honest. All i know is mine has low compression on number 4 so the engine needs to come out, and i do have the chance of an 03 type uk engine and box so i thought it would be a straight swap over. still undicided what to do as i could get good money breaking the car and would save a lot of hassle.

Cheers Glen