sti type uk engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2010, 03:02 PM
chrisarmes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sti type uk engine mods

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, so be gentle! Coming from the VAG scene I've now got a 2003 sti type uk impreeza. I'm looking for some advice and engine mods from you guys, and hopefuly you can answer some questions I have!

What std bhp do I have as I have seen a few different figures

Is the std turbo called the td05, and what bhp is it good for

Currently I have turbo back 3" exhaust and air filter. Looking to get a remap, but wondered what power I would achieve, and any recommended maps. I'm close to scoobyclinic? Any opinions?

When and should I get an uprated walbro fuel pump, and what are the advantages?

Is there any need for an uprated actuator, and boost controler? And reccomendations? And should I get them before my remap? What advantages will they give me?

What is the difference with the import 360 imprezas to mine?

Sorry for all the questions guys, but if ant of you could give me any advise on them that would be great. I'm eager to learn. And more importantly show some of my friends the scoobs are the way forward!

Thanks.. Chris!
Old 16 May 2010, 03:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Your car comes with 265ps (262bhp) standard, you have a VF35 turbo, its capable of around 350bhp (no need to change to a TD05 16G), your injectors are good for this, an uprated fuel pump is advisable, as is a 3 port solenoid.
You can remap the ecu and its more than capable of doing everything for you, no boost controllers etc but running a decat without a remap is a serious as these cause spikes and waste pistions (det) which causes engine failures
A remap will set you back approximately 600 quid, and yes, scoobyclinic can do a remap for you, or you can go for one of the mobile mappers that are out there (or the likes of bob rawle/richard bulmer etc).

The difference between the UK cars and JDM cars of this age is extreme, the JDM cars are better handling (fitted with quickrack and A-DCCD as standard), better engine spool up (twin scroll turbo's), more out of the box power, make 80% of their torque at 2500 rpm and have better all round engines (improved over the uk cars).

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 16 May 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 16 May 2010, 04:04 PM
chrisarmes
Scooby Newbie

Tony, thanks very much for the detailed response. Your a star!

Ok so 3 port solenoid, fuel pump n map should see me over the 300 barrier then?

I'm guessing the 3 port is just a direct replacement for my 2 port (located on my drivers side strut) are these needed to hold boost better when mapped, and where do I get one from. Have you got any makes or part numbers?

Do you find much difference in price or quality between places like scoobyclinic and mobile mappers?
Old 16 May 2010, 09:00 PM
gus sti8
Scooby Regular

i can highley recomend duncan@racednamix he has mapped my 2003 sti type uk and it has made 400bhp on 20psi of boost then it has been tweeked to 27psi now so should be 450 ish
Old 16 May 2010, 09:19 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fieastboy is selling 3ports at the moment ,i bought one and he still has a few left but be quick mate.
Old 16 May 2010, 09:22 PM
chrisarmes
Scooby Newbie

Soungs great gus, where abouts can I get hold of this chap, is he on the forum?

Can you let me know what mods you have to achieve your 400, and then 450. I would want around 350+
Old 16 May 2010, 09:27 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://racedynamix.co.uk/new/contact-racedynamix/
Old 16 May 2010, 10:59 PM
chrisarmes
Scooby Newbie

My car has had a few issues since I 1st had it a month ago. Read up on some post on here as the symptoms seemed quite common.

Hold back terribly (much more than turbo lag, completly dead) until boost kicks in and it pulls like a train.

Cleaned boost solenoid, and changed plugs (which were black with fuel) and its massivly overfueling.

Finally hooked up a boost guage today and it seems to be holding 16 psi... Isn't this a bit high for normal.

I've always wondered if it has previously had a remap, and been poorly put back to standard.

Can someone please confirm what standard boost should be, and if you have any opinions what it could be that's causing it to hold back so much.

It does it much more from cold too!