Notices

Horrible noise & white smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2010, 10:11 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible noise & white smoke?

I was pulling onto a bypass off the slip road accelerating steadily when there was a strange whoosing sound then a horrible rattling sound and clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust and the engine died and will not restart! I'm guessing the turbo has packed up. Can anyone tell me what the best and worse case scenarios are. I've only put 6000 miles on since a fully forged rebuid. If the compressor wheel has shattered and sucked into the engine am I looked a rebuild again??? Gutted!!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09 May 2010, 12:21 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way to check the bores and valves is go to a garage that uses a borescope to inspect cylinder bores with the engine in situ.

If the turbo has gone pop it doesn't neccessarily mean you've done any damage to the engine. More than likely your cylinders are full of oil and your spark plugs are completely oil soaked.

Remove the turbo and spark plugs then turn the engine over. Hopefully that will blow out all the oil and any small bits of debris that might have settled on top of the pistons, out through the spark plug holes.

It's still a good idea though to get your bores and valves checked out. There must be a garage near you that will come out to get you sorted.
Old 09 May 2010, 12:24 AM
waynesworld
Scooby Regular

I would say your bang on about the turbo, this may just be blocking the gases from escaping causing the car to be unable to start. Get the turbo off to find out. as for your scenarios just hope for the best but keep in mind you may have to do some stripping and inspecting to be totally sure. You could always drain your engine oil for signs of debris. Hopefully its just a major turbo failure.

All the best and hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 09 May 2010, 12:32 AM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for your replies. I'll get the turbo off and have a look. I was thinking the worst, but fingers crossed it may not have damaged anything else.