Notices

Impreza Mileage Question? (a few other)

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2010, 12:29 PM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Mileage Question? (a few other)

Hey hey,

I am thinking of moving into the turbo world from the 2.0l Sport world, and have my eye on a clean looking 99 turbo, externally it looks near mint, internally it just needs cleaned up a touch.

My question is this, as I am clueless when it comes to mechanics...

1. It has around 115,000 miles on it, is this likely to be a problem, I have been looking around and dont see too many high mileage scoobys around?

2. What problems should I be looking for, engine wise and otherwise?

3. Anything else any of you knowledgeable peeps would like to share with me in what I should be looking out for?

4. What problems bodywork wise should I be on my toes for, that maybe the naked eye can see?

Oh and the price is around £3k

I am open to all advice here guys as my Sport is a minter but just not as nippy as I want, and not a turbo lol, but I don't want to regret it in a week or two after I buy it.

Oh and if someone could point out the worst case scenerio, which I'm thinking may be an engine rebuild, and the all in cost of such work.

Please help lol as my decision depends on it

And thanks
Old 07 May 2010, 12:52 PM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

Alright mate, firstly with that mileage i woulndt pay more then 2K maybe 2200, has it got full sevice history, cam belt history etc. most importantly is the engine quite when you start it up i tmay have piston slap but make sure you just take someone who knows scoobs with you if i were u.
Old 07 May 2010, 01:39 PM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Hi mate thanks for the speedy reply, it does have full service history, with all belts etc, and yep the engine is quiet on start up, no rattles etc, as far as the price goes though according to Parkers it is dead on, and other Scoobs in Northern Ireland seem to be selling around the same mark, in fact for £2k we'd be buyinh a pretty poorly kept motor, plus I'm getting £1750 for my Sport, 2001 with 101k on the clock, so I figured it as reasonable enough??
Old 07 May 2010, 01:56 PM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

£1750 for your sport with 101K is GREAT business, i dont know its just i got mine which is wrx 97 version 3 for £1800 with only 50 odd K on the clock. Fair enough yours is 2 years newer but im sure youll get him with £2500 cash as long as it all seems fine and has the service history then im sure it will be. to be fair mine does have piston slap which im sure helped with the price. Oh yea sport to Turbo =
Old 07 May 2010, 06:02 PM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Thanks matey...any more advice from anyone?
Old 07 May 2010, 09:34 PM
waynesworld
Scooby Regular

Keep a good eye out for the right motor, 115000 miles is alot in any car not just a high performance one. I just bought mine last week, a 94 wrx sti with 72500 on the clock and just minor mods. Paint work has a few scratches which helped me get the price down from 2200 to 1900. Dont be scared to bargain as there is loads of good subarus about. I looked at 4. There is a cracker in lisburn at 3500, a nice fully resprayed one in dungiven at 3500 both with low milage and a few others I cant remember. You already know what to look out for so dont worry too much and get yourself into the fast lane of turbod scooby ownership! Believe me you wont regret it lol.

Wayne, Belfast

Last edited by waynesworld; 07 May 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07 May 2010, 10:25 PM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Cheers buddy, any links or sites that those two are on please?
Old 07 May 2010, 10:53 PM
waynesworld
Scooby Regular

All the usual, auto trader and Gumtree espicially. Ive a mate selling his RB5 with 60k on it. Its in autotrader this week I think. Think its around 6000 but its a bit special as there isnt too many left and his is number 436 of 444. I looked at alot of things when i started wanting a scooby but in the end I went for a car that needed cosmetics done but is mechanically very good as I want to make it my own anyway. There is absolutely loads of things you can do to upgrade an impreza to your own spec so its just important to start with a good base car. Is the car your talking about in Ballyclare by any chance? There is a silver one simalar on scoobyireland.com.

Anyway happy hunting. wayne.
Old 08 May 2010, 02:25 AM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

It is indeed, and usedcarsni, know anything about it?
Old 08 May 2010, 08:12 PM
waynesworld
Scooby Regular

No I didnt go see it but from what what ive been told he tinkers with subarus and seems to know his stuff. There is a meet in lisburn next saturday the 15th for jap motors and there will be a lot of scoobies there so maybe you should come over and chat to some owners.
Old 09 May 2010, 06:43 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car has full service history then 115k is nothing,you can buy a motor with 60k on and it can still go bang. My last Scoob had 135k and had 2 owners, and the car drove like it was made yesterday. How many owners has the car had , and how long has the last owner owned the car are things you might want to consider ,as to how well the car has been looked after IMHO .