Notices

C-diff control

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2010, 09:36 AM
womb ferret
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile C-diff control

Can anybody give me any info on the c-diff control? How does it affect handling? Fuel economy? Tires? My WR1 understeers a bit, should I feed a little more power to the rear to eliminate this?
Old 21 April 2010, 09:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech archieve section has a nice (or 2 nice) documents on how this works, wont affect your fuel econonmy but will affect how the car handles, but the WR1 will understeer anyway, the later cars are better because they have the spec c geometry (unfortunately you cannot change that on your car as the track is wider).
Oh and are you running manual or leaving it in auto or playing abit with it?

Tony
Old 21 April 2010, 10:13 AM
womb ferret
Scooby Newbie

I'm new to AWD so I tend to just leave it in auto most of the time.I have had a little play but its difficult to find somewhere big/safe enough to really experiment. What's the difference between auto and lock? Is auto active and lock is fixed in 50/50?
Old 21 April 2010, 12:34 PM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

As above comment, some great info here........

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...d-driving.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...anslation.html

Jeff
Old 21 April 2010, 05:22 PM
womb ferret
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Jeff
Old 21 April 2010, 08:02 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

I just had a look at those links and feel that they didn't collate some of the safety considerations particularly well so here's my two pence.

If you're new to AWD and inclined to experiment, as I was with my STI; couple of basic suggestions:

1) Leave it on 'auto' in wet or damp conditions. I discovered that the hard way while learning the settings.

2) If I dial mine all the way to the rear 'diff free' the car will be faster in corners but it does bite unless I'm very careful. Took me nearly two years of playing with the diff before I began to feel practiced using that setting but it still makes me nervous. I leave it in the last setting before 'diff-free', in the dry.

3) Don't corner on slippery surfaces in 'diff-lock' unless you want to discover a new meaning for under steer. Discovered that in the snow at 3mph. The steering wheel turned... The car didn't.

Your tires will affect the settings you're comfortable with and will likely be different from mine. I only started regularly using 'diff free' after going from Eagle F1 GS-D3 225s to PS3 XL 235s. My F1s just didn't grip well enough to play on diff free but then the fronts were scrubbed to death on the inside by the time I changed them so not surprising really.

Other than that, I found a few large rural roundabouts near me with good visibility down all the exits and would fiddle with the different settings for a few hours at 3AM on the weekends. Kept that up till I found my preferred settings for given road conditions.
Old 01 May 2010, 10:18 AM
womb ferret
Scooby Newbie

nice one aXel, I've had a bit playtime now, the rural roundabouts was a good tip. it's f'king good fun isn't it!!?!?
Old 01 May 2010, 03:20 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i set mine all the way back when its dry, touch of oversteer and dial it one posn forward when wet still get oversteer but not too bad, better than understeer, i hate understeer especially on a 4wd
Old 01 May 2010, 03:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Do you have a new age ste? classics are quite good in the dry and shouldnt really oversteer normally, in the wet the rear does quite happily step out if you give it some abuse and a little understeer is safer than a little oversteer

Tony
Old 01 May 2010, 03:56 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

yep an ra -classic. i dont like understeer on 4wd because it makes the car unpredictable as in, when the understeer cuts in you dont know whether to apply more throttle to kick the backend out or not because you coul;d just get more understeer and end up going straight on.

mine handles lovely you have to be giving it some for the backend to come round but more importantly for me the front end sticks like glue so i can be ready to correct
Old 01 May 2010, 04:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

With oversteer your only option is oversteer, great on a track, dangerous on the road as you dont have enough room when your going sideways so understeer is a little better, though what tyres do you have? they can make a big difference on how the car handles

Tony
Old 01 May 2010, 04:20 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

t1r`s, as said you have to be giving it some say in 2nd, round an island and is easy to correct,in the wet is a different matter though you have to be careful.

i am hoping to go ona trackday soon to explore the handling properly,