induction kit prob, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2010, 04:51 PM
bensti03
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default induction kit prob, help!!

hi guys,
i am new on here so firstly hello to everyone. i have a 03 sti and have just fitted an induction kit where filter sits in the wing only now when i start it she runs very lumpy then stalls.. any ideas appreciated.
Old 08 April 2010, 05:12 PM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

If its got a new maf tube make sure its the right way round.If the maf isnt the right way round you will get the symptoms you describe.Also an induction kit isnt recomended without being mapped for it.
Let us know how you get on.
Old 08 April 2010, 05:15 PM
106_enduro
Scooby Regular

having seen others jump too quick at doing filters and induction kits, have you removed all the old air unit etc?? I've seen people simply stick a K&N cone on the air box inlet but left all the old paper filters and airbox etc.

Sorry if it comes across as basic but it's something to check.
Old 08 April 2010, 05:20 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bensti03
hi guys,
i am new on here so firstly hello to everyone. i have a 03 sti and have just fitted an induction kit where filter sits in the wing only now when i start it she runs very lumpy then stalls.. any ideas appreciated.
Welcome. Probably not what you want to hear but your best option is to take it off and refit the standard induction parts. It your car's otherwise standard you won't gain any power benefit over the OE stuff, and, as it seems you've already discovered, induction kits can screw up the airflow measurement and (hence) fuel mixture calculations which can, if you're unlucky, lead to engine damage pretty quick.

As has been said, you might have fitted the MAF sensor the wrong way round but even then your car will run better and safer with the standard bits, unless you're going to have it remapped immediately.
Old 08 April 2010, 07:34 PM
bensti03
Scooby Newbie

hi guys,

all sorted was maf tube round the wrong way..

as regards to a remap would i gain anything more than the safety of the engine as i also have cat back ninja 2 and hks bov. i think splitpin is right as i def dont want engine damage but would love a bit more power..

is racedynamix the way forward?
Old 08 April 2010, 07:49 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

yes,you will benefit from a re-map in driveability and release a little more power.also itl be much safer as splitpin said.

if you are thinking of duncan from dynamix then yes,he is the bees knees.(although there are others on this forum too )
Old 08 April 2010, 07:58 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

i wonder is the car not quick enough already lol, i mean you can still only do a max of 70mph lol, i love modding my scooby, the faster the better, such a massive waste of money, i just keep tellin the kids it's there inheratence lol.......
Old 08 April 2010, 08:26 PM
bensti03
Scooby Newbie

it is nearly quick enough, ive gotta get it done quick before baby comes along in may.

thankyou to you all for the responses ill keep you up to date with progress.
Old 08 April 2010, 08:29 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

remember,scoobs are highly reliable as they left the factory but a few little mods could f**k your car up unless doing it right.always worth asking on here before doing anything as you will find some pretty clued up peeps on here.scoobs are money pits .enjoy!
Old 08 April 2010, 08:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bensti03
hi guys,

all sorted was maf tube round the wrong way..
Cool, but, a word from the wise: Even though you seem to have sorted the immediately obvious stuttering, do not assume your car is operating within safe limits; the induction kit will almost certainly be skewing the mass airflow measurements and without an AFR meter, knock monitor or similar you have no way to tell how much (or whether it's pushing the engine beyond a safe performance envelope. This is especially the case as...

as i also have cat back ninja 2
This is just the rear box or a partial decat?

and hks bov.
That's another gadget that, from a performance and engine function point of view, your car would be better off without. Will work better with the standard recirculating valve.

i think splitpin is right as i def dont want engine damage but would love a bit more power..
You should get it, as well as confidence that it's all within a safety margin. Tidy remap should see it in the 330-340bhp area

is racedynamix the way forward?
There are a few good mappers around, have a browse around the forum and you'll soon work out what's what