Notices

puff of blue smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2010, 05:05 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puff of blue smoke!

took my newly mapped wagon for a spirited run last night for about 2 hours,drove faultless,i started it up today and there was a puff of blue smoke from exhaust,should i be worried?,the turbo is a low mielage vf35,the smoke cleared straight away and hasnt done it again,im going to let it cool right down and restart in a bit,any ideas why this has happened? car is my99 uk turbo,running 315/320.
Old 05 April 2010, 05:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't be worried at this point, but you should be interested enough to try and get to the bottom of the problem. In a worst case scenario situation, the quicker you work out what's up the quicker and cheaper it's likely to be to fix.

I have more questions than anything else at the moment, but hopefully answering them will help you:

Are we to take it that your car's running standard MY99 UK internals?

What about the oil level? Where do you normally run it and where was it on the dipstick immediately after the drive?

If you pop the intercooler off, do you see a very light film of oil on the internal parts of it, or is there a significant residue pooling up inside it?
Old 05 April 2010, 05:47 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
You shouldn't be worried at this point, but you should be interested enough to try and get to the bottom of the problem. In a worst case scenario situation, the quicker you work out what's up the quicker and cheaper it's likely to be to fix.

I have more questions than anything else at the moment, but hopefully answering them will help you:

Are we to take it that your car's running standard MY99 UK internals?

What about the oil level? Where do you normally run it and where was it on the dipstick immediately after the drive?

If you pop the intercooler off, do you see a very light film of oil on the internal parts of it, or is there a significant residue pooling up inside it?
yes standard internals,oil level is absolutely fine,havent removed the intercooler yet,but ive now let the car cool down again and restarted it and its fine,like i said its never happened before,its a low mileage engine aswell(about 45k) and turbo is known to be good.its the first"spirited drive i have done in all gears since the remap.could it just be a one off?
Old 05 April 2010, 06:38 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 05 April 2010, 06:48 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It could be a one-off, but might not be. The reason I asked you about the oil level is because I was wondering whether it's a bit too full. Where exactly is it now, in relation to the two holes and the notch in the dipstick?

It's possible that a combination of high oil level and spirited driving might have chucked some excess out of the breathers but I would not assume this to be the case and just carry on regardless. As above tell us where it is on the stick now and we might be able to advise you with a little more solid a foundation.
Old 05 April 2010, 06:57 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

my road is on a slope,and so is my driveway,car is facing downhill,so i cant just go get a true reading at the moment,when i did the oil change and filter,which i do regularly,i always use 4.5 ltrs inc oil filter and have never had a problem before,the oil change was last done about a month ago,car has been mapped only last week,before the map i had also done "spirited driving" without any issues.i dont feel convinced that ive overfilled it as i am well aware of the oil change procedure,and know that i dont have to fill it to the notch on dipstick.
Old 05 April 2010, 08:00 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

just started it again from cold and no smoke. weird.no smoke whilst driving etc either.maybe the oil level could have been just a fraction too much for the spirited driving,was hitting high revs for long periods,and maybe just got rid of a little excess oil? checked the dipstick whilst engine cold,(bere in mind car is on a downwards slope) it was half way between the two dots.so i would imagine it may have been a fraction too much if car was on level ground? ill try get a true reading over the next few days.
Old 05 April 2010, 09:06 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

anyone got any advice on this as its really playing on my mind lol,cant relax!
Old 05 April 2010, 10:14 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Old 05 April 2010, 10:24 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately dude you're asking us questions we simply can't answer. Not like anyone can magically diagnose what's up (or not) with your car over the internet.

The way forward is to pay attention to what it's doing and keep an eye on it as closely as you can for a few days. Check what you can and if in doubt get someone to have a look.
Old 05 April 2010, 10:31 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately dude you're asking us questions we simply can't answer. Not like anyone can magically diagnose what's up (or not) with your car over the internet.

The way forward is to pay attention to what it's doing and keep an eye on it as closely as you can for a few days. Check what you can and if in doubt get someone to have a look.
was hoping to get afew answers on what it COULD be so i can narrow things down a bit,as in my eyes,its unlikely to be turbo and the engine is good too.ill keep my eye on things but was wondering whats the likelyhood of it being a one-off or wether its far more likely to be a fault? seems a coicedence after i drove it pretty hard for a couple of hours!thanks so far tho splitpin
Old 06 April 2010, 01:14 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

car was started again this morning after being stood all nite,not a trace of blue smoke whatsoever. so maybe it was alittle over oil level as u stated,thanks again,the car seems absolutely fine.
Old 06 April 2010, 03:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

That sounds encouraging, yep, and doubly so if, when you were describing your oil change procedure earlier, you do it by measuring 4.5 litres of oil in rather than doing it to the stick. Is that 4.5 litres in addition to a full filter, or including it?

Given the problems you're having getting an accurate oil level reading on your driveway, the first thing I would do is stop somewhere flat with the engine fully hot, take the dipstick out and clean it thoroughly, and then give it a minute or three for the oil to settle in the tube before checking the level.

If it's above the top hole, and especially if it's near or above the notch, you can be reasonably (but not totally) confident that it was some overfill being blown up through the vent system. If on the other hand your hot level is nearer the bottom hole than the top, then other explanations come distinctly back into play so it's worth keeping a close eye.
Old 06 April 2010, 04:49 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

That sounds encouraging, yep, and doubly so if, when you were describing your oil change procedure earlier, you do it by measuring 4.5 litres of oil in rather than doing it to the stick. Is that 4.5 litres in addition to a full filter, or including it?

Given the problems you're having getting an accurate oil level reading on your driveway, the first thing I would do is stop somewhere flat with the engine fully hot, take the dipstick out and clean it thoroughly, and then give it a minute or three for the oil to settle in the tube before checking the level.

If it's above the top hole, and especially if it's near or above the notch, you can be reasonably (but not totally) confident that it was some overfill being blown up through the vent system. If on the other hand your hot level is nearer the bottom hole than the top, then other explanations come distinctly back into play so it's worth keeping a close eye.
yep 4.5 ltrs inc FULL oil fillter.i believe it was a fraction over.
Old 06 April 2010, 05:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Subaru small filters take just over 0.2 of a litre if brimmed, and the older (or third party) larger types more again so you are probably correct to believe it was a bit over. However, as above the way to be certain is to check it properly on a flat surface.
Old 06 April 2010, 06:08 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

More PSLewis and less Lewis Hamilton and you'll be fine ya hoon !

I got back from a run yesterday, about an hour of redline runs enjoying the track toy that has taken so long to get right and I had a 10p new money drip from the expansion bottle. Is my HG gonna go pop, probably at some point but the SIMtek ALS and hour of roundabouts and other bendy bits its more likely to have caused muchous hotness when becoming stationary again.

Keep an eye on it but more likely a bit of excess is all.
Old 06 April 2010, 06:19 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
More PSLewis and less Lewis Hamilton and you'll be fine ya hoon !

I got back from a run yesterday, about an hour of redline runs enjoying the track toy that has taken so long to get right and I had a 10p new money drip from the expansion bottle. Is my HG gonna go pop, probably at some point but the SIMtek ALS and hour of roundabouts and other bendy bits its more likely to have caused muchous hotness when becoming stationary again.

Keep an eye on it but more likely a bit of excess is all.
yeah i think its fine,after the hard driving,it did not smoke on first start up the following morning,it only happened after i had the car parked sideways on my drive(downward slope) and it had been jacked up from both sides,so when i jacked the high side of the car it was on a big lean,wether thats anything to do with it i dont know? anyways all is fine now and it did take a bit of a blasting,(140mph+ at one point) obviously on a private road. what i liked most of all is its completely fine now and the car performs extremely well,140mph was easy to do.
Old 06 April 2010, 06:21 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

gonna get a correct oil reading and keep a close eye.
Old 08 April 2010, 08:15 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

right,got a correct reading on the flat and engine cold,it was a tiny bit over the top dot,i can now ease my mind,hasnt happened since,tad too much oil i think.i will remember to VERY carefully measure next time,thanks again splitpin.
Old 08 April 2010, 09:18 PM
kiranbaloo
Scooby Regular

Location: Reading,in a 516/460 classic 2.0 wagon quite lively!!

another thing it might be is oil grade as i had 5w30 in mine and it did the same after a hard run the next morning would give a small puff on start up now i have changed to 15w50 and it is fine no smoke on cold start also the oil pressure is up a bit.