Induction Kit Help...

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2010, 05:07 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction Kit Help...

Hey guys.

i have a classic wagon 99 turbo 2000, standard apart from back box.
i fitted yesterday a hks mushroom induction kit and zero sports alloy intake pipe.

the sound it creates is awesome, however i am having teething problems.
the car seems too now be lagging like mad after 3k-3.5k. you can hear the turbo sucking in the air but the car is hesitating.

i know that my maf sensor is in perfect working order, and i have taken the car for a few runs since fitting the induction kit and intake pipe but the problem hasn't rectified itself.

is there anything that i need too do to make it run how it should?

i have bunged the pipe that went into the intake pipe (that goes to a black canister) with a bolt as there is not a hole in the alloy intake.

any help much appreciated.

Tom
Old 05 April 2010, 05:17 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

ooh,can of worms springs to mind lol.the standard airbox is ideally suited to the engine and fuelling.what youve done is upset the readings for the fuelling.newage scoobs can get re-mapped but i believe with your mods you need to consider a new/suitable ecu to get the best and correct fuelling for the motor.

someone will b along soon to tell you exactky what you need
Old 05 April 2010, 05:21 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

get rid of that induction kit unless you are running simtec ecu. use the standard airbox and a good panel filter before you do some serious damage!
Old 05 April 2010, 05:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sp00ks
Hi have a classic wagon 99 turbo 2000, standard apart from back box.
i fitted yesterday a hks mushroom induction kit and zero sports alloy intake pipe.
Oops. Can see exactly where this is going.

the sound it creates is awesome,
If you leave it on there, you're likely to find out at first hand what sort of sound a blown engine makes. Which may or may not be awesome.

i know that my maf sensor is in perfect working order
Even if your airflow sensor was in perfect working order before you fitted the new bits, a combination of the mushroom, or vibration being applied to the sensor via the mushroom and the alloy inlet pipe is, from what you're describing, knocking the airflow readings out of whack. That's what's causing the hesitation, and it will almost certainly be causing a mixture that's far too lean, with associated rises in cylinder temps and detonation.

is there anything that i need too do to make it run how it should?
Return the car to the state it was in before you fitted the aftermarket stuff. Seriously.

If you take your car to a good EcuTeK mapper and shell out a few hundred quid you might be able to have the mass airflow read error rescaled, but even then your car will still be at risk of mixture problems secondary to vibration damage caused to the sensor, so it ain't worth it.

i have bunged the pipe that went into the intake pipe (that goes to a black canister) with a bolt as there is not a hole in the alloy intake.
That's the canister purge line. It won't be causing the problems you're experiencing.

any help much appreciated.
It's not the answer you want to hear but the best advice to give you is to refit the standard induction parts before driving it again. You might not like the idea of the money you've spent on the induction kit being wasted, but that's likely to be a darn sight cheaper than the consequences of leaving it on.
Old 05 April 2010, 05:52 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

thanks split pin for the advice, will get back under the bonnet right this minute and do the mind numbing task of re-fitting the standard filter!

bloody does my head in that induction kits are advertised to be so amazing but actually turn out too ruin scoobies engines!

ahwell atleast ive achieved something this weekend! changing the cambelt and all the rollers/adjuster. highly recommend importcarparts.co.uk.

will installing a hks ssqv cause any problems on a standard car?

Tom
Old 05 April 2010, 06:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

There is a good chance it could do, your car is mapped for a recirculating valve not a dump to atmosphere one, it can mess the ecu up when its trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
The MY99/00 MAF sensors are very..... sensitive, especially to oiled filters that deposite oil on them and vibrations caused by induction kits, and before you ask, no you cant replace the maf with another year/type, you can get around it by going mafless but that means an aftermarket ecu, simtek for instance, but those are about 1200 quid mapped and for you there is no real benefit, except that it makes for a very expensive induction kit

Tony
Old 05 April 2010, 06:38 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

thanks split pin for the advice, will get back under the bonnet right this minute and do the mind numbing task of re-fitting the standard filter!
Better this than the alternative!

bloody does my head in that induction kits are advertised to be so amazing but actually turn out too ruin scoobies engines!
Unfortunately there's loads of stuff advertised in all walks of life that comes with serious side-effects. See also cigarettes and alcohol!

Induction kits on these cars are, below a (quite significant) power level a total waste of money, as the standard parts are not restrictive enough for changing things to provide a significant improvement. When you consider the complications that the mass airflow sensor provides it's only something you'd elect to change if you're after quite a bit of power or are running an aftermarket speed-density based ECU (or, in practice, both of the above).

As per Tony's comments, the engine will run better on the standard recirculating valve.
Old 05 April 2010, 07:31 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

top advice from all the guys above, leave the induction kits for the kids with nova's lol, if your going for lots of modz and a fmic then an induction is needed and the hands of a great mapper.................well done scoobynet guys first time in the last week i have seen some sound solid advice and not some blokes arguing over something way to off topic
Old 06 April 2010, 09:23 AM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

I had the same issue when I put a kit on mine - Splitpin gave the same advice and before he'd given it I'd returned to standard with a better panel filter - After reading the advice - there aint no kit going back on!!
Was a shame to lose the noise as it did a right job of scaring ol ladies (that'll be the boy racer in me) I think Id rather have a car to run though!!

NB(incidentally Splitpin - I fitted the fuel pump in line with the other mods for the scooby chip and - she is running just perfik - thanks for the help!)