Notices

turbo tinkering

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2010, 08:55 PM
jaymaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question turbo tinkering

would it be posible to adjust the wastegate arm on my blobeye turbo ? if so what would i be seeing any problems from the adjustment has i have been told that it would make it alot faster , any body know or have tryed this
many thanks
Old 02 April 2010, 09:10 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Yes it will cause problems. It may be faster for a few miles but don't expect the engine to last long.
Old 02 April 2010, 09:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Of course it's possible to adjust. However, before you bother, it sounds like you've been talking to someone who doesn't really know what they're on about, at least as far as these cars are concerned.

If your wastegate actuator is already properly set, tightening it won't make any significant difference to the performance as boost pressure is regulated by the ECU. If you increase the actuator crack pressure, the ECU will compensate to maintain the same boost target.

If you want more boost/power, the best way to get it is to have your car remapped.
Old 02 April 2010, 09:16 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

By adjusting the actuator you will alter the boost. The ECU will not compensate fuelling for this, which will most likely cause it to go bang. The safest way of getting more performance is by re-mapping the ECU as the fuelling will be adjusted accordingly. Yes it will cost between £250 and £600 depending on if you use open source or Ecuteck. But compared to a few thousand for a rebuild it is not much.
Old 02 April 2010, 09:19 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

leave it or map it
Old 02 April 2010, 09:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
By adjusting the actuator you will alter the boost.
Not to any meaningful extent you won't. You're correct in the first instance that the turbo will spool and boost better, but as soon as it overshoots its target the ECU will use its error routines to dial out solenoid duty cycle until the pressure is back where it should be.

You won't get any more held boost, the "best" outcome will be initial spiking followed by oscillation around the original target.

Bottom line tho is that, as you say, remap is the way to do it, or, for those who can't or won't, some sort of external boost controller.
Old 03 April 2010, 12:44 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, if he really wanted(?!) he could just run vac hose from comp to (stiffened up) w/g, thus bypassing the BCS.

But I'm really not into this way of running "unmonitored" upped boost (MBCs / bleed valves / stiffer w/g spring, etc. included) - even if it is 'only' for an extra c.0.2bar or so.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 April 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03 April 2010, 01:01 AM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

get an electronic boost controller for that bit extra, but in the long term a re-map is best
Old 03 April 2010, 09:48 AM
jaymaxy
Scooby Regular

cheers for all your replys , i wasnt going to alter my turbo wastegate just trying to find out if by doing so it would do the engine in , so i could tell my brother that his "mate" who is a mechanic has told him wrong [ my brother has got a my98 classic and just turned his wastegate arm up by 2 turns and claims to be alot faster with no remap]
just trying to tell him but wont listen so am trying to get any info that i can to show him has he hasn`t had much luck with his engines lol. thanks again
Old 03 April 2010, 10:25 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

sorry mate but dont think luck has anything to do with it,he has altered a part on a performance car without knowing fully what he is doing.recipe for disaster i think>advise him to read these pages mate.,
Old 03 April 2010, 10:41 AM
jaymaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
sorry mate but dont think luck has anything to do with it,he has altered a part on a performance car without knowing fully what he is doing.recipe for disaster i think>advise him to read these pages mate.,
yeh will do mate . you know wot younger brothers are like wont take my advive has he says this is my first scooby and hes on his 4th now so he knows more about them than me
[prob why hes on his 4th lol]
Old 03 April 2010, 10:44 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joz8968
Yeah, if he really wanted(?!) he could just run vac hose from comp to (stiffened up) w/g, thus bypassing the BCS.

But I'm really not into this way of running "unmonitored" upped boost (MBCs / bleed valves / stiffer w/g spring, etc. included) - even if it is 'only' for an extra c.0.2bar or so.
it wont do it Joz.

The wastegate on the wrx td04 is circa 0.5 bar (give or take) - he would have to wind it up a LOT. Even then the ecu will trim it down to the target levels in the std map.

In conjunction with a remap it can be very effective though as the std actuator is very weak. I often adjust the actuator on bug wrx's (if the heatshields are off) or fit a 3 port solenoid to enable more than the std actuator will allow. Without either of these you are lucky to get just over 1 bar - the std boost target is 0.952 bar on a wrx.

A good custom remap is the solution. Everything is just guesswork and hoping.
Old 03 April 2010, 12:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Ah, sorry dynamix. I didn't realise that the ECU would still be able to control boost without the BCS connected, etc. But then again, it does have the max boost target programmed, so makes sense. A silly oversight on my part.

Thanks - I love learning new stuff from the experts...
Old 03 April 2010, 01:37 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joz8968
Ah, sorry dynamix. I didn't realise that the ECU would still be able to control boost without the BCS connected, etc. But then again, it does have the max boost target programmed, so makes sense. A silly oversight on my part.

Thanks - I love learning new stuff from the experts...
No - you were right

Didnt read the post right - my bad.

Still a bad idea though as it is taking it to areas of the map untested
Old 03 April 2010, 02:14 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Oh lol.

Yes, don't like "uncontrolled" boost on F.I. cars - all too easy to go **** up IMO.

So, at least the OP has now got some decent info to report back to his bro's stubborn mechanic mate...

Last edited by joz8968; 03 April 2010 at 02:26 PM.