Notices

Oil leak leading to changing a NEW cambelt?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2010, 07:10 PM
deanopath
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Oil leak leading to changing a NEW cambelt?

Hi There everone,
I am wondering if anyone can help me, the last couple of days I have noticed abit of an oil leak on my drive way. I took my wrx into a garage today and the guy said the oil leak has dripped through and around the cambelt housing and that the cam belt would have to be changed because it is covered in oil.

I agree with him that there is a leak around that area somewhere (hard to find anyway). the cambelt got changed at 60,000 miles about a month ago so I havent let the guy touch my motor yet.

Any Ideas where and what the leak could be and could I clean up the cambelt area after the leak is fixed?
any help would be well appreciated as I could do without it costing a fortune
cheers
Old 01 April 2010, 10:25 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Seeing as the most likely sources of leaks around that area will be cam or crank seals or oil-pump, which would all involve having to remove the belt along with other components to put right in any case, it's almost certain the parts-cost of another new belt is going to be far less than the labour cost of the whole job. Still it's extra money, and if after thoroughly cleaning the belt and inspecting it you're convinced it's only superficially contaminated, maybe you can get away with putting it back on.

That said, if it's peace of mind that you're after before you sign up to get any more work done, you could always pull off the cam-covers, degrease the whole area that npow has oil on it, and then run the car until you see more appear to get a better idea of where the leak is.
Old 01 April 2010, 11:30 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

its your front crank seal. common fault, replace with genuine subaru item or it will happen again
Old 02 April 2010, 10:56 AM
SiofChester
Scooby Regular

I got a genuine one for sale if you're interested - PM me with a price
Old 02 April 2010, 02:16 PM
deanopath
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the advice guys, glad I asked first before letting the guy do the work. gonna ave a good look behind cam cover like markjmd has said.

siofchester- ill ave a look at crank then send u a pm cheers
Ill let everyone know how I get on thanks
Old 06 April 2010, 04:35 PM
John Davies
Scooby Newbie

Default Oil leak leading to changing a NEW cambelt?

Hi All.
I also have a leak in this area. Timing belt is dry as it happens! But it is due for a change and it would be an opportunity to change the crank seal while it is all open and should I find that this is the source of the leak. Could someone advise me how difficult this is? Do I need special tools, etc?
John.
Old 06 April 2010, 05:13 PM
deanopath
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by John Davies
Hi All.
I also have a leak in this area. Timing belt is dry as it happens! But it is due for a change and it would be an opportunity to change the crank seal while it is all open and should I find that this is the source of the leak. Could someone advise me how difficult this is? Do I need special tools, etc?
John.
hello john,

the guys on here pretty much got the problem spot on for mine, problem has turned out to be the crank seal and possibly the oil pump. I have taken it to a mechanic down the road and he has quoted me £350 which sounds good to me with the seals and cambelt so Im not gonna ave ago at it myself, just in case lol
Old 09 April 2010, 01:47 PM
John Davies
Scooby Newbie

Hi Deanopath.
I had no worries about the expertise in the forum. They certainly know there stuff. I was a bit disappointed not to get a reply from one of the experts, but you can't win them all! I shall ask around.
John.