Notices

Prep for Remap

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2010, 08:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep for Remap

I have slowly but surely got some kit together in prep for a power hike on my Bugeye WRX(I plan to either use mocom or Dynamix for the map). At this time I have a prodrive Sportcat, Prodrive second cat delete, de-res centre pipe and Prodrive backbox/H and S backbox (whichever I decide to keep) that are all on the car. I have a decat up-pipe in the garage (it has the flexi middle from Japspeed, will this suffice?), and I have just bought some STi Pink injectors from a Blob STi for the princely sum of £80.

What do you recommend in the way of a turbo, TD05, 16g/18g/20g, or VF35, and what kind of power/torque should I expect?

Also, fuel pumps? I saw a few people recommend the HRC 255lph fuel pumps off ebay as a cheaper competitor to the Walbro, what is the common concensus of opinion?

Can anyone think of anything else? Can the car have the kit fitted and driven off boost to the mapper, or should I try to get the mapper to come to me?
Old 20 March 2010, 09:03 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Exhaust sytem seems spot on.
Turbo - VF35 should see 350 bhp with supporting mods.
Walbro in my opinion.
Consider a 3 port boost solenoid [allows mapper to fine tweak the boost]
Also a Samco or Prodrive Y pipe and if funds allow STI TMIC
NGK PFR7 plugs
Free flow panel filter
You can drive off boost to the mapper not a problem. Just be sensible.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:06 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An STi top mount intercooler would be on that list too if I were you to get the most out of the VF35 (which would be my choice of the turbo).

I would go with a proper Walbro 255 pump from the likes of Lateral performance - for the minimal cost difference it really isnt worth the risk. I think Mark has them for £72 delivered.

A std STi up-pipe would be my suggestion or one of harvey's ported ones.

It will be okay (ish) to drive off boost to your chosen mapper - I generally travel to you though so isnt a huge issue. Just need to co-ordinate dates so that the kit is fitted just befrehand so that you have minimal useage of the car in that form.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:08 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Bob, many thanks for your reply. I have a Simota panel filter, how does that rate? Ok, Ill keep an eye out for the parts you recommend. The fuel pump will be purchased new, Im not a total cheapskate!
If my car doesnt go pop, I will be the ideal case study for someone wanting to buy cheap and upgrade slowly. Its all been secondhand, and no problems as of yet.

Edited to add: Thanks Duncan, if you travel (as I found out from one of your happy customers in Somerset!), I wouldnt drive the car after the parts were fitted. No point blowing it for a quick drive down the roadf. I will keepa an eye out for an STI IC, and an STI up-pipe.

Last edited by Myles; 20 March 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:11 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

i went the same route as you mate i fitted a prodrive exhaust including the sports cat, de cat uppipe, NGk 7s air filter. Got the remap done and it made a hell of a difference, quite stunning, i now have a VF35 as the next upgrade recommended by Duncan, i also have pink injectors to fit and going for a walbro pump. All i need to do now is source a STi TMIC and scoop. Would like to know though if i need the y pipe and 3 port solenoid? what difference would these make?

I wish i was there to see your face after the remap :-) lol cheshire cat springs to mind
Old 20 March 2010, 09:14 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
i went the same route as you mate i fitted a prodrive exhaust including the sports cat, de cat uppipe, NGk 7s air filter. Got the remap done and it made a hell of a difference, quite stunning, i now have a VF35 as the next upgrade recommended by Duncan, i also have pink injectors to fit and going for a walbro pump. All i need to do now is source a STi TMIC and scoop. Would like to know though if i need the y pipe and 3 port solenoid? what difference would these make?

I wish i was there to see your face after the remap :-) lol cheshire cat springs to mind
Yeah, it was you that told me that Duncan travels, if I remember rightly. What power are you kicking out at the mo roughly?
Old 20 March 2010, 09:31 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

need to get it dyno'd Duncan estimates approx 270 ish (if that was correct Duncan?) took it to a **** dyno place so didnt get correct figures, i was going to go and get another at either surrey RR or one in Tewksbury but to be honest i think i will save my £60 and put it towards the VF35 fit and map etc and then go for a RR. Was excellent work though from the map, my mate Dave Beck has a 20G iirc and lots of other bits and bobs, he was in the car when we mapped it and he said he was surprised how much grunt it gave from a TD04. So was happy with that
Old 20 March 2010, 09:39 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
need to get it dyno'd Duncan estimates approx 270 ish (if that was correct Duncan?) took it to a **** dyno place so didnt get correct figures, i was going to go and get another at either surrey RR or one in Tewksbury but to be honest i think i will save my £60 and put it towards the VF35 fit and map etc and then go for a RR. Was excellent work though from the map, my mate Dave Beck has a 20G iirc and lots of other bits and bobs, he was in the car when we mapped it and he said he was surprised how much grunt it gave from a TD04. So was happy with that
Aaaah, Dave Beck! Just sold him a set of 4 pot calipers. Talking of figures, they are not the be all and end all, its how the car delivers, and mine just doesnt at the mo! I expect that the decat running with no remap is making it run a little rough though, and not making the most of the upgrades.
Old 20 March 2010, 10:01 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

;-) small world eh
Old 20 March 2010, 10:35 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can get an STI tmic - one of my customers is changing to a fmic - so up for grabs.. pm me for price.
Old 21 March 2010, 08:49 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with a VF35 but they tend to boost creep when pushed hard which is why porting the W.G. is something we do regularly. This turbo with a sports cat will struggle to do 330 bhp. Consider a TD05 18G which will do another 20 bhp on top of the VF35 and spool as well. New £650 with 12 months warranty.